• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

soft prices on Goldin?
2 2

103 posts in this topic

On 6/12/2023 at 7:52 AM, october said:

Are we sure the 2nd print didn't also say June 2nd and only the 3rd says "now on sale"? 

That could be true. I can’t verify that though. I thought I heard that the 2nd/3rd print are not distinguishable from each other… @G.A.tor would know. 

Edited by Primetime

On 6/7/2023 at 10:14 PM, Dark Knight said:

The AA #16 CGC 1.5 sold for $72k.  Pretty high if you ask me.

$72k for a 1.5 blue label seemed a little low to me as the book doesn’t come up often. But still a solid hammer price.

On 6/8/2023 at 12:22 AM, aardvark88 said:

Flash 86 first Black Canary GA seems soft to me even in 3.5.

It’s most definitely an underrated book IMO. I owned a 2.5 at one point and absolutely loved that book.

On 6/13/2023 at 7:55 PM, AJD said:

So a copy with "now on sale" in the ad for Action 14 could be a first or second, and one with "on sale June 2nd" could be a second or third.

Probably the EXACT reason why CGC doesn't differentiate between the various printings because they really can't tell and don't want to guess.  hm

Hence, the best solution is the one proposed below because it really should make a difference and the just let the marketplace itself decide:  (thumbsu

On 6/14/2023 at 2:46 AM, Crowzilla said:

I agree it's well past time for CGC to identify which house ad is inside - they don't need to claim 1st, 2nd, or 3rd print on the label, just identify the ad and let the market decide the value.

Four hours left and Supes 1 is at 1.38 mil with the juice included. Action 1 slightly lagging behind. Both solidly behind a bat once used by Ty Cobb that’s almost at 2 mil. Jesus sports memorabilia can sell BIG!!

IMG_0507.jpeg

IMG_0508.jpeg

On 6/14/2023 at 3:46 PM, szav said:

If the first print is more common as someone stated, then I’m not sure you’ll see those skyrocket in value as much as you might just see people pay less for the later dated prints.  People are already paying just about as much a premium as they can possibly afford to right now for any copy at all.

If you don’t know the version of your slabbed copy you’re paying 4% just to find out it might be a later print and you’re risking a lower grade just to find  out.  I think it potentially makes a huge mess if they change practice now.

The printing figures I've seen support that the original print run is not more prevalent.  In any event, as one of the variants will encompass two print runs, and the other won't, we can't know which is more prevalent until CGC starts counting.  But I don't think that matters. The earlier printing(s) of Superman 1 will outperform a later print. That's just the way most of us collectors (apologies to the OCD modern collectors) think about these things.  First prints are special, later printings less so. It is the book collecting tradition that infuses our culture.

And I think you are missing my point. If CGC wants to maximize profit (and they never seem to lose an opportunity), then they will start noting the two variants on the label.  Why?  Because it will inevitably cause resubmissions. A lot of people probably don't know what printing they've got. As soon as CGC notes the variation, they're likely going to crack out their books to see if they are on the lucky side. 

Anyone who doesn't crack out their book and resubmit is going to be assumed to be selling a "now on sale" version.  Heck, any recently graded copy that doesn't disclose what the interior ad says is clearly a "now on sale" version. Why wouldn't they disclose the ad content if it could hype the book?  Silence is damning.  So the price will be depressed for "now on sale" variants no matter what. Buyers not in the know as to what they have will have a big incentive to crack our their book to see if they are lucky. Bottom line, cgc can expect more big book submissions by including the notation. They might well offer a discount to incentivize those resubmissions.  It would be smart business to do so for a limited period of time.

On 6/14/2023 at 9:07 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Action 1 landed at 1.5 mil. I mean that seems pretty solid. Feels like not long ago that was a $450K book, well years ago 😅.

IMG_0515.jpeg

$500k  ppp

Nice!

Edited by Chicago Boy

On 6/14/2023 at 7:17 PM, Dark Knight said:

Action #1 CGC 3.0 sold for $1.5 mil

Pep Comics #22 CGC 6.5 sold for $180k

Superman #1 CGC 7.0 (previously sold for $2.6 mil @ CC) sold for $1.6 mil.  Yikes, quite the haircut :eek:

Yeah the Supes 1 seems very very blah 😬

IMG_0516.jpeg

Edited by LDarkseid1