• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

soft prices on Goldin?
2 2

103 posts in this topic

Supes #1 is supposed to be a "rare" book that never comes up for sale/auction often.  In the past 2 years since the beginning of covid, I've seen more copies for sale than any other years I've been in this hobby.  A few copies were recycled and re-sold within a few months to a year.

On 6/14/2023 at 7:23 PM, Dark Knight said:

Supes #1 is supposed to be a "rare" book that never comes up for sale/auction often.  In the past 2 years since the beginning of covid, I've seen more copies for sale than any other years I've been in this hobby.  A few copies were recycled and re-sold within a few months to a year.

In the trailer for the Fantast Collection’s upcoming documentary, I believe they say their Superman #1 7.0 could be worth 3-4 million dollars. Based off that CC sale I can understand that mentality, but after this I’d advise them to wait sometime before selling 😂

On 6/11/2023 at 12:37 PM, tth2 said:
On 6/11/2023 at 4:38 AM, Aman619 said:

seller will be crushed if that happens for the Superman 1

There will be people jumping out of windows if the Superman 1 goes for only $2.1m.  

:eek:

I guess Superman 1 owners will tell themselves that it's because the sale was on Goldin.

On 6/14/2023 at 9:37 PM, tth2 said:

:eek:

I guess Superman 1 owners will tell themselves that it's because the sale was on Goldin.

Sadly, even though I am NOT a Supes 1 owner :(, I would still tend to agree with this sentiment when it comes to the vintage comic book market. (thumbsu

Especially when you are talking about the big key GA books, as I had already alluded to in another thread on the boards here:  hm

On 6/14/2023 at 10:10 PM, lou_fine said:

All I will say is that CC and Metro with Fishler and his long established contacts is a completely different animal than the Goldin auction platform.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

On 6/14/2023 at 10:21 PM, lou_fine said:

Sadly, even though I am NOT a Supes 1 owner :(, I would still tend to agree with this sentiment when it comes to the vintage comic book market. (thumbsu

Especially when you are talking about the big key GA books, as I had already alluded to in another thread on the boards here:  hm

Yeah Goldin definitely seems to have a solid buyer base with sports memorabilia. Seemingly, still have some work to do with comics though.

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 6/14/2023 at 5:46 AM, Crowzilla said:

I'm going to always argue that because of the close time frame from Superman #1s on sale date (May 18th), to the House as that states the June 2nd release date of Action #14 as being "Now on sale", that the 2nd print is also a "Now on sale" variation, There's just not enough time to get the sales info back, order a reprint and get it distributed with June 2nd still being a future date.

Bur regardless, I agree it's well past time for CGC to identify which house ad is inside - they don't need to claim 1st, 2nd, or 3rd print on the label, just identify the ad and let the market decide the value.

I agree 100% with your thinking on the dates. The publisher's executives wouldn't have planned a second printing until the first printing was close to selling out and they had time to react to the book's strong showing in the marketplace. There's no way that occurred before June 2nd, and it's highly likely that they would have changed the house ad at that time.

And it is absolutely insane that something so significant is not noted on the label.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 6/14/2023 at 10:17 PM, Dark Knight said:

Action #1 CGC 3.0 sold for $1.5 mil

Pep Comics #22 CGC 6.5 sold for $180k

Superman #1 CGC 7.0 (previously sold for $2.6 mil @ CC) sold for $1.6 mil.  Yikes, quite the haircut :eek:

The biggest loss ever taken on a single book, I imagine ?

It’s a nasty nasty loss on a book that’s usually Teflon but I think it’s both a sign of the times and a sign the book had gotten a little too close to action 1 and tec 27 there for a hot minute.   

I wouldn’t want to be trying to resale the 8.0 that sold for 5m or so.   

Edited by Bronty

On 6/15/2023 at 12:36 PM, Robot Man said:

Obviously bad for consigners but a win win for the house…

Unless the house was the consignor.    I believe they bought some big books and or provided some guarantees in the past.    I have no idea what the situation on this particular book was.

Edited by Bronty

On 6/15/2023 at 12:50 PM, szav said:

Of course in 2019 someone probably would have been thrilled to know they’d get 1.6 mil for their Sups #1 7.0 in 2023.

Still a strong price and not a death knell for the hobby or the book as much as a reflection of the Covid comic boom insanity.

Sure.   And also a good reality check.

Edited by Bronty

On 6/15/2023 at 9:08 AM, PeterPark said:

When I heard Goldin was getting into comics en masse, I thought it was a mistake because I don't know or use them. Anyone can do it, but if you do it to a room that is half full, results will show this. It looks like they are still not big enough to be a major player.

I'm going to disagree.  Everyone on this board knew about this book.  The folks who swim in the deep pools either knew about this book or their agents did (like Fishler who, after all, buys big books for clients on other auction sites).

I don't think you can blame the venue for the outcome.  I might buy that for lesser books.  But for an Auction with both a Superman 1 and an Action 1?  Nope.  Best evidence: How many here are complaining about the Action 1 3.0 price? 

On 6/14/2023 at 10:23 PM, Dark Knight said:

It’s only supposed to be rare (and is rare) in high grade. Just three copies 8.0 and above. There are many lower grade copies out there which is where the statement that you allude to comes from. 

also, the 8.0 that sold for 5M is now an 8.5. And still the Mile High copy. Perhaps solidly now and forever the second best copy. I wouldn’t try to flip it any time soon, and, I’d be upset I got carried away and paid too much…  But still should be good long term. If the buyer isn’t a short term flipper non comics collector. And our hobby doesn’t collapse after the movies hegemony on box office results ends. 

but this 7.0 should have done better as still one of the best copies, so things look iffy now … far from the wild 2021 sales. I’d assign a large % of blame on Goldin as venue, but agree that the buyers for these books certainly knew about the auction. And the card guys over there etc didn’t bite this time around. 

On 6/15/2023 at 8:48 AM, Bronty said:

It’s a nasty nasty loss on a book that’s usually Teflon but I think it’s both a sign of the times and a sign the book had gotten a little too close to action 1 and tec 27 there for a hot minute.   

I wouldn’t want to be trying to resale the 8.0 that sold for 5m or so.   

You mean this book? Now an 8.5..

Screenshot_20230605_224614_Facebook.jpg

Edited by Dark Knight