• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

soft prices on Goldin?
2 2

125 posts in this topic

On 6/18/2023 at 9:50 PM, Silver Surfer said:

I find it hard to believe that any big dollar auction is not shilled up higher by the people who can see the bids (and how about the use of AI?) unless the auction owners are interested in acquiring the books themselves? Seriously what are the checks and balances in place to keep this from happening or at least make it more transparent. 

There are none. This is an unregulated market. 

On 6/16/2023 at 12:56 PM, RareHighGrade said:

A lot of the comments here are assuming the 7.0 Superman #1 was bought by a collector.  I question that.  Why would a collector pay an all-time record price for a book and then sell it only a year and a half later during a down market?  A more logical explanation is that Goldin bought the book with the express plan to flip it as part of its efforts to expand its business into the comic memorabilia market.  It needed high profile books like the Superman #1 and lower grade Action #1 to draw attention to its auction and to be perceived as a big-time player in this niche.

On 6/17/2023 at 4:35 AM, october said:

They may still have won it back. We don't know unless the buyer makes it public. 

The chicanery that goes on at that level knows few bounds.

On 6/17/2023 at 5:37 AM, DanCooper said:

This, and what RareHighGrade mentioned prior, are the most plausible answers to the "million $" question!

Maybe all will be revealed on the next episode of Goldin's Netflix series!

I'm following up on this exchange from last year.  The Netflix series that just dropped over the weekend had an episode about Goldin trying to buy books to put in their comic auction.  One of the books they bought was an Action #1 CGC 3.0 for $1.825 million.  I haven't yet watched the entire series, but am wondering if this could be the same book that they sold for only $1.5 million in their auction last year?

Edited by RareHighGrade

On 6/17/2024 at 3:45 PM, RareHighGrade said:

I'm following up on this exchange from last year.  The Netflix series that just dropped over the weekend had an episode about Goldin trying to buy books to put in their comic auction.  One of the books they bought was an Action 3 CGC 3.0 for $1.825 million.  I haven't yet watched the entire series, but am wondering if this could be the same book that they sold for only $1.5 million in their auction last year?

:facepalm:

they will never be Ha/CC or even CL. The Big three will be tops for the future. As a fringe seller, you risk getting substandard returns of key books, such as the Action 1 above. Still on the lesser books, maybe better?...you never know.

On 6/18/2023 at 9:29 PM, tth2 said:

They are already the 800 lb gorilla in sports card auctions, so they don't need to do bolster their reputation in that market, unlike in comics where they're a baby chimp.  Plus, sports card volume on Goldin is so big, and prices there have plunged so much, that Goldin would be financially incapable of singlehandedly artificially supporting the market.

Why do you have to spoil every good conspiracy theory?

:baiting:

On 6/17/2024 at 6:45 PM, RareHighGrade said:

but am wondering if this could be the same book that they sold for only $1.5 million in their auction last year?

Don't know if I should post a **SPOILER ALERT** or Hidden Comments on this, if people are watching the current Netflix series currently, but here's the deal - it is the SAME Action 1 3.0 that they sold in June 2023.

The crazy thing is they go to NY Comic Con begging everyone for an Action 1. They offer Danielle Nerdy Girl $2mm for her 3.5 Action 1, but she refuses to sell but she puts Goldin in contact with a private collector who may have one to sell, which happens to be the SAME copy they auctioned off a year prior!

Looks to be scripted just like most reality TV shows.

Pictures - see same CGC serial numbers:

Action 1 auctioned by Goldin in June 2023:

image.thumb.png.3a2ca9d739d19930108ba6678e4eb6f9.png

Screenshot of the Action 1 they buy in the current Netflix series:

image.thumb.png.ac23bbb2d168c50978d5e8f9832a0336.png

On 6/19/2024 at 4:07 AM, DanCooper said:
On 6/18/2024 at 6:45 AM, RareHighGrade said:

but am wondering if this could be the same book that they sold for only $1.5 million in their auction last year?

Don't know if I should post a **SPOILER ALERT** or Hidden Comments on this, if people are watching the current Netflix series currently, but here's the deal - it is the SAME Action 1 3.0 that they sold in June 2023.

The crazy thing is they go to NY Comic Con begging everyone for an Action 1. They offer Danielle Nerdy Girl $2mm for her 3.5 Action 1, but she refuses to sell but she puts Goldin in contact with a private collector who may have one to sell, which happens to be the SAME copy they auctioned off a year prior!

Looks to be scripted just like most reality TV shows.

Why would they script themselves to come across as a bunch of rank amateurs? lol

I actually just watched that episode and was cracking up that they chose to portray themselves as a bunch of clueless amateurs running around like a bunch of headless chickens.  It was hilarious seeing Matt Nelson's cameo and his "Who are these maroons" expression as he speaks with them while they're searching for a copy.  I bet most of the people who hang out in the GA Forum would have a better idea who to contact about finding an unrestored Action 1 than Goldin, and that the floor of a con, even NY, would be one of the most unlikely places to find one.

On 6/19/2024 at 12:19 PM, RareHighGrade said:

The other thing I found curious was that they had the Action #1 sitting out in the direct sunlight for an extended period of time while they were "negotiating" the sale.  Any seasoned collector, and anyone who has seen the Larson Copy of Marvel #1, would never have allowed that.  

I also wasn't too impressed with the collector who was offering Goldin his Tec 27 and AF 15 out on an open patio, even if they were sitting under some shade.  

On 6/19/2023 at 7:32 AM, Ryan. said:

There are none. This is an unregulated market. 

Well, if it's an auction with an online component, then it's a federal crime—wire fraud—and all federal crimes are felonies, so it isn't completely true that it's unregulated, it's just that there's very little enforcement of the regulations.

On 6/18/2024 at 4:07 PM, DanCooper said:

For some reason I was thinking that all this was filmed earlier last year and that their guy decided he didn't want the Action 1 and so they ended up auctioning it or something similar. But since the date of NYCC last year was after the Action 1 auction, the better conspiracy theory of entirely everything was scripted, and none of what we saw on screen is remotely true makes much more sense.

Seeing that they sold the Detective 27 and AF15 in their May 2022 auctions, it is possible this was filmed two years ago, and they got the Action 1 at the Oct 2022 NYCC after already selling the other two books, the buyer held onto it for six months and gave it back to them to auction, but the "nothing you see on screen is real" scenario seems much more likely.

Edited by Crowzilla

On 6/19/2024 at 9:31 AM, Sauce Dog said:

This seems like a pretty silly thing to fret over honestly. Printed ink isn't going to be impacted by direct sunlight in that short a time; there isn't a need to be THAT precious about these books to the point that the only acceptable way to ever handle a grail is in a pitch black steel bunker, four miles beneath the earth's surface, while a cult of fellow collectors, clad in robes, chant arcane spells to invoke an ancient pre-code deity that will mystically control & maintain the humidity for ideal comic storage :D

Note: Said bunker above however would make an excellent place to lock Goldin in. We would all be better for it.

Just last week I took out a recent acquisition to show the new policeman in town ( Crime SuspenStories 22). He had told me he and his dad were really into sportscards and I told him I dig old comics. Very sunny, hot day on the boardwalk. We were in the shade as he gawked at it. A lady asked if she could see it (I keep my slabs in mylites so I don't mind letting people touch them). Well she stepped out in the blazing sun to see it better I guess , so I softly told her to keep it out of the sun and she handed it back to me immediately. It was kind of awkward and I felt bad but the way I see it is any direct sunlight is bad, even a few seconds. Humidity control I feel is important also. But I really liked you post. Where can I find this pre code diety? Maybe shoot me his or her email if you have it :roflmao:

On 6/20/2024 at 1:21 AM, Crowzilla said:

Seeing that they sold the Detective 27 and AF15 in their May 2022 auctions, it is possible this was filmed two years ago, and they got the Action 1 at the Oct 2022 NYCC after already selling the other two books, the buyer held onto it for six months and gave it back to them to auction, but the "nothing you see on screen is real" scenario seems much more likely.

I can't imagine a bunch of Goldin guys running around with Netflix camera crews on the convention floor would go unnoticed.  We have a lot of boardies who've been at the last few NYCCs, did no one notice them?  That would help to confirm when the scenes in the latest scene were filmed.  

On 6/19/2024 at 1:21 PM, Crowzilla said:

it is possible this was filmed two years ago, and they got the Action 1 at the Oct 2022 NYCC

Netflix renewed for the second season of Goldin's "King of Collectibles" in late July 2023 (see the following link below). This was a month after the Goldin auction with the $1.5mm Action 1. So, unless it was some canned footage shot before the renewal, it was most likely NY Comic Con October 2023 footage:

https://about.netflix.com/en/news/netflix-renews-king-of-collectibles-the-goldin-touch-for-season-2

Sean, this is the Internet. Stop trying to be logical and sensible. We need more hysteria, controversy and conspiracy, so please cut that out! In addition, I lost the sales receipt for the pitchfork and torches I bought from Lowe's and can't return, so we must carry on with this!

Edited by DanCooper

On 6/19/2024 at 5:16 PM, tth2 said:

Note to self:  don't buy books owned/handled by Sauce Dog. :baiting:

I'm more than happy to help you remember and make a note not sell you any of my future books that I prefer to under-grade for sale - I love to help out my fellow boardies anyway I can :D

(But seriously, I pretty much aim for my 'good' being another persons 'very good' as I prefer to keep everyone happy and always assume I miss stuff when grading raw books. I only know this because I keep tabs on the books I sell and ask that whenever a raw book is graded by the new buyer they update me with the final grade to see how much I was off).

I also worked at a print house, do comic conservation, custom printing - including replicating Golden Age / Silver Age inks & paper stock, and art restoration....so you dodged a bullet here for sure! I'm also one of those people who will tell you not to use gloves when manipulating paper artifacts, so watch out and go get your oven mitts! lol

Funny thing is I actually experimented with full sunlight bleaching on comics a few years ago - I was developing a new brand of UV protection film specifically for slabs (sized to fit and be removable without any residue, both for comic and card slabs) since I found everyone else who made them stopped offering them or went out of business. Had several books in the window, with varying levels of protection or exposure - you would be surprised how long you can leave a book there before deterioration becomes visible. Ended up not going through with it though due to the manufacturer I was courting changing film material (and adhesive) they offered, thus voiding all tests up to that point on the previous sample films they provided and life got in the way of doing it all over again with the new samples. 

On 6/19/2024 at 9:50 PM, Sauce Dog said:

I also worked at a print house, do comic conservation, custom printing - including replicating Golden Age / Silver Age inks & paper stock, and art restoration....so you dodged a bullet here for sure! I'm also one of those people who will tell you not to use gloves when manipulating paper artifacts, so watch out and go get your oven mitts! lol

I read what you said last night but I had to come back. That's some interesting stuff. Replicating paper and ink, sounds very scientific and very cool. And I've seen some historians handling books and documents over 500 years old without gloves and I remember thinking, "Man that's not good". But I guess that's not the case.  As far as sunlight and the testing you've done I bet most older books even into the mid 1960's I would think would hold up better to sunlight than comics from say the 70's,80's, and 90's. Much better quality paper and ink I would assume. Anyway neat stuff(thumbsu