• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HERO RESTORATION - BOOKS NOT BEING RETURNED
20 20

961 posts in this topic

On 7/1/2023 at 12:19 AM, brute_nm said:

I am also in this boat.  I have 2x outstanding invoices with Hero for pressing/cleaning.  One invoice is from Sept 2022 (40 weeks) and the other is from Nov 2022 (33 weeks).

• ASM 41
  • Action 276
  • FF 39
  • New Gods 1

I reached out in Feb 2023 for refund (and request my books back) and Jaclyn gave me the standard "terms and conditions" response

@Hero Restoration, are you able to locate these books and return them to me please?  At this point, I am willing to eat the cost for cleaning/pressing/grading that I've already paid you (i.e., I'm not asking for refund) - I just want the books back.  These were HRC Invoice # 3223 and 3311 if that helps at all.

What are they doing if so many books are reverting after the first attempted pressing? 

On 6/30/2023 at 10:22 AM, Cat said:

What are they doing if so many books are reverting after the first attempted pressing? 

This entire issue appears to, unfortunately, be on the road to an Epic fail.

On 7/1/2023 at 12:38 AM, joeypost said:

I don’t know the processes they use, but my experience shows it’s not uncommon for a book here or there to revert back a certain amount with a quick second press being needed. 

But is it 'very common'? 

On 6/30/2023 at 11:26 AM, Cat said:

But is it 'very common'? 

I am not sure if they are talking about press only books, or books that have had restoration work done to them. I can only speak for myself, but 2-3 books out of a hundred may need an additional press. It all depends on the amount of work you do before they go into the press. 

On 6/30/2023 at 9:57 AM, Black_Adam said:

Personally, I would never trust my comics with some insufficiently_thoughtful_person in his garage who knows zero about pressing comics and is more likely to destroy them than improve them which is why I have never bought my own comic press. I also do not have a garage.

I am confused.

So you never bought your own press just to not send your books off to be pressed by a 3rd party?

Luckily I only ever messed up on a practice book forgot to put the teflon sheet down and it stuck to the press and ripped off the back cover when I opened it. But I guess thats the point of practicing. Anyway to go back to the topic I would think hero would try to hire one or two people to work on the simple clean and press jobs to help get caught up?

On 6/30/2023 at 11:39 AM, FlyingDonut said:

I have a two car garage, but its full of stuff. I do not own a comic press. I do own an olive press and a garlic press though.

Some of those older olive presses may work well for pressing comics. May want to put an extra teflon sheet down. And clean the press first.

What Is the History of Olive Oil?

On 6/29/2023 at 9:50 PM, DonConnolly said:

Hey I'm in this boat too...sent him an ultimate fallout 4 to press and send to cgc.  Comictom101 the big YouTube comic guy has books with him too.  And this other comic YouTube person named Swagglehaus just did a video that mentions this forum and hero. The second half . It's how I found this. Let's network on this and maybe with comictom influence we might get somewhere? Or try class action.  Here's the video link:

That should be the introductory message to anyone getting into this business: 'Comic Book Business Can Be Shady! Be Careful Who You Give Your Money To!'

On 6/30/2023 at 7:19 AM, brute_nm said:

I am also in this boat.  I have 2x outstanding invoices with Hero for pressing/cleaning/submit to CGC.  One invoice is from Sept 2022 (40 weeks) and the other is from Nov 2022 (33 weeks).

• ASM 41
  • Action 276
  • FF 39
  • New Gods 1

I reached out in Feb 2023 for refund (and request my books back) and Jaclyn gave me the standard "terms and conditions" response

@Hero Restoration, are you able to locate these books and return them to me please?  At this point, I am willing to eat the cost for cleaning/pressing/grading that I've already paid you (i.e., I'm not asking for refund) - I just want the books back.  These were HRC Invoice # 3223 and 3311 if that helps at all.

Been in contact since 11 this morning, and we got this covered.

Derek's a nice guy, and has been very understanding and supportive. Except for days when I receive over 20 emails, it is usually the easiest way to reach me.

I also altered the phone system to get in touch with me as well.

On 6/30/2023 at 7:22 AM, Cat said:

First, customer service answering the call is communicating a general message, without first hand knowledge about pressing. Some books are prone to this affect due to the type of paper. The other issue is because of our examples, it easy to assume those results can be achieved on all types of paper, with same reaction. We usually don't receive 9.4's with one finger dent. We get 8.0's, with the expectation of 9.6. Heavy creasing can come out, revert, and repeat, but that is because it's not about just improving the book, it's about it defect being gone. Modern black covers especially behave this way.

Edited by Hero Restoration
Name

On 7/1/2023 at 6:53 PM, Hero Restoration said:

First, XXXXXX is communicating a general message, without first hand knowledge about pressing. Some books are prone to this affect due to the type of paper. The other issue is because of our examples, it easy to assume those results can be achieved on all types of paper, with same reaction. We usually don't receive 9.4's with one finger dent. We get 8.0's, with the expectation of 9.6. Heavy creasing can come out, revert, and repeat, but that is because it's not about just improving the book, it's about it defect being gone. Modern black covers especially behave this way.

Please edit your post to take the name out. It's a bit unseemly to partially dox a customer, even if it is just a first name, in this charged environment. 

Just for those that are wondering. Again, Too be VERY clear, I never wanted my personal health to be know, so this isn't me looking for excuses. I am just tired of hearing  "supposedly", or "Allegedly". 

image.thumb.jpeg.c6c1641a69e59f083ed1b11b5a6a88a2.jpeg

*1. in·farct

a small localized area of dead tissue resulting from failure of blood supply.

*2 is·che·mi·a

an inadequate blood supply to an organ or part of the body, especially the heart muscles.

*3 What causes peri infarct ischemia?
Atherosclerosis is the most common cause of myocardial ischemia. Blood clot. The plaques that develop in atherosclerosis can rupture, causing a blood clot. The clot might block an artery and lead to sudden, severe myocardial ischemia, resulting in a heart attack.

image.thumb.png.e0b0c1937f6bf80730caf4f46a5705a9.png
This is why a stent won't work, and I need to clock out for a bypass.

image.thumb.png.ff00f02d919d3f4e9d3fea063db83929.png
Edited by Hero Restoration
typo