• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leaf Super Heroes Collector's Album
2 2

14 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have a book from 1981, a promotional booklet from Leaf and DC comics. The interior is 8 miniature comics you obtained from Candy packs.

My question is if CGC would grade this? It is the size of a magazine and would fit in a magazine holder.

I couldn't find any information for graded examples of this book, and I want to know if the information on the label (if they do grade this ) would indicate that the interior is complete?

SUPER HEROES COLLECTOR’S ALBUM.jpg

SUPER HEROES COLLECTOR’S ALBUM interior.jpg

On 6/9/2023 at 8:17 PM, Lightning55 said:

Thank you for the link, I appreciate it, but it doesn't answer if they would grade the collectible because while it is magazine size it isn't a magazine.

Hi @CGC Mike, anyway you could help me find out?

Edited by Artboy99

Just an opinion,  but they grade just about any comic book. It sure looks like a comic book. Size won't matter, as long as it fits into a magazine holder, not too thick for it, and within length and width dimensions. More than happy to take your money.

There are many oversized comics that get graded, and encapsulated within magazine holders. Like early TMNT issues. They're not magazines, either. 

On 6/9/2023 at 8:41 PM, Artboy99 said:

I have a book from 1981, a promotional booklet from Leaf and DC comics. The interior is 8 miniature comics you obtained from Candy packs.

My question is if CGC would grade this?

Interesting item that I've never seen. 

Does raise the question though on how they would grade it if they did.  Would they just grade the holder and ignore the miniature books........or grade as a combination of the holder with the eight inserted books (which would mean having to average several grades)?

I know I have some similar mini comics.....but, I believe they came with a stick of gum similar to what you used to get in packs of trading cards.

Edited by Domo Arigato

I don’t have a definite answer as to whether they would grade this or not but I have seen the individual comics from this series individually graded. 

I would guess that if they did grade it they would grade just the album itself as it was a mail-away premium and didn’t come with the comics. And if it was submitted with the mini comics in it CGC would probably remove the comics, grade the album by itself, and return the comics along with the graded album, kind of like they do with the records for the Power Record Comics. 

While it’s completely up to you whether you have it graded, it looks like from the photo that there’s some staining in the gutter of the folder. I know CGC hits staining hard when determining a grade. 

Edited by Number 6

On 6/10/2023 at 3:34 AM, Domo Arigato said:

I know I have some similar mini comics.....but, I believe they came with a stick of gum similar to what you used to get in packs of trading cards.

The mini comics that came with gum were called Bubble Funnies and had Marvel and Archie issues and were made by a company called Amurol. Those can be tricky as the gum was placed in the middle of the comic nothing separating the two and there can be issues with the syrup in the gum leaching into the comic. 

These are from a series called Leaf Candy Comics and came with hard sweat tart type candy. The candy was sealed in a separate bag other than the bulk of the candy causing stresses to the spine it’s probably easier to find those in high grade than the Bubble Funnies. 

• Administrator
On 6/12/2023 at 8:41 AM, CGC Mike said:
On 6/9/2023 at 10:35 PM, Artboy99 said:

1 member of the team has chimed in.  Just waiting on others to chime in.

I apologize for the delay in a response.  4 members of the team are discussing the possible notations on the slab.

• Administrator
On 6/9/2023 at 10:35 PM, Artboy99 said:

CGC will grade this promotional booklet the same as we do for the Marvel Value Stamp Book; if the booklet is empty, it will receive a numerical grade. If the booklet contains the miniature comics, a grade of NG will be assigned, and the contents inside the booklet disclosed on the label.

On 6/13/2023 at 10:08 AM, CGC Mike said:

CGC will grade this promotional booklet the same as we do for the Marvel Value Stamp Book; if the booklet is empty, it will receive a numerical grade. If the booklet contains the miniature comics, a grade of NG will be assigned, and the contents inside the booklet disclosed on the label.

Thanks.