• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I remember when the San Diego comic con was only comic books, and I was in heaven.
1 1

77 posts in this topic

On 6/12/2023 at 9:42 AM, Frisco Larson said:

My first (and only, so far) San Diego Comic Con was in 1994. I'd already been to the Chicago Comic Con and a multitude of shows here in Minnesota, but I wasn't quite prepared for all that the San Diego show was!!! Carpeted and quite fancy by comparison to Chicago, it didn't disappoint in the variety of comics available!!! Metropolis had several display cases, and among the contents, passersby and my attending friends as well, gasped at the sight of a copy of Suspense #3!!! I purchased a mid-grade copy of Captain America #4 from Metropolis but that was all of my money that they wanted at that show, so I kept circulating. I passed by tables of dealers, some barely active today, like Four Color Comics ... some gone all together, like PCE: Pacific Comics Exchange. I purchased comics from longtime names in the hobby, like Harley Yee, A-1 Comics and John Hauser, and bought supplies and fortresses from conservation innovator Chris Pedrin. Making my way around to the back of the auditorium, I spied a dealer with a lot of novels and other hard cover books. They had a glass showcase and in it was the only copy of Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1 plus front cover printer proofs of the next few issues that I had ever seen in person, up until that point!!! I couldn't believe my eyes!!!  :whatthe:  It was really quite a spectacular moment!!! He said he could let me have it for $7500, which was nearly four times my budget for the show. They also had a short box of comics, of which I looked thru and bought my first copy of Amazing Spider-Man #2, which I still have!!! The four-day show is a bit of a blur in regard to what happened on which specific day, but walking around the show, I saw and met comics legends like Stan Lee and Bob Overstreet, both of whom were just walking around and mingling with guests and fans! By the end of the fourth day, I had spent all my loot, but Gary Dolgoff convinced me to do some mail order with him, so I actually was able to secure other books and pay for them at a later time! What a comic show!!! I could go on and on about the time spent OUTSIDE the show, and you're probably afraid that I will, so I won't. lol  I'll leave you with a pic of the Spidey #2 though, just for fun!  :)

Amazing Spider-Man 2.jpg

Indeed! For a long time, it was the best comic show in the country for eye candy and quantity of quality dealers. The general "vibe" of the show was awesome. There was just something magical about it. I've been to all the big shows over the years but SDCC was the one. I also remember the tons of "mom and pop" dealers with tons of long boxes to go through. Lots of deals if you were willing to search them out and do the work. I usually came hope with a huge pile of GA and SA. Those folks are all LONG gone now. 

I saw my friend in early June.  He asked me whether I wanted to attend 2023 SDCC.  He could get me in early and free, plus I could crash in his hotel room.  I replied “No thanks!”  At one stretch, I attended 25 years in a roll.  “It’s too crowded, nobody goes there anymore.”

Last attended in 2019, and got in early with a vendor pass.  Saw @greggy buying all the good stuff before preview night.😂

In case your parents didn’t teach you, “It’s who you know!”

On 6/12/2023 at 3:54 PM, BitterOldMan said:

I saw my friend in early June.  He asked me whether I wanted to attend 2023 SDCC.  He could get me in early and free, plus I could crash in his hotel room.  I replied “No thanks!”  At one stretch, I attended 25 years in a roll.  “It’s too crowded, nobody goes there anymore.”

Last attended in 2019, and got in early with a vendor pass.  Saw @greggy buying all the good stuff before preview night.😂

In case your parents didn’t teach you, “It’s who you know!”

dealers always have time for the whales at cons!  : )

On 6/12/2023 at 1:54 PM, Robot Man said:

Indeed! For a long time, it was the best comic show in the country for eye candy and quantity of quality dealers. The general "vibe" of the show was awesome. There was just something magical about it. I've been to all the big shows over the years but SDCC was the one. I also remember the tons of "mom and pop" dealers with tons of long boxes to go through. Lots of deals if you were willing to search them out and do the work. I usually came hope with a huge pile of GA and SA. Those folks are all LONG gone now. 

Yes, the mom & pop shops that I probably never knew the names of were certainly in attendance!!! We've had them come to Minnesota from neighboring states too. One I'll never forget was Kenny and his wife Kay would come over from Wisconsin. Kenny was a big MLJ collector, and I spoke with him over the phone about an upcoming show there were going to be set up at. He was starting to sell off a lot of his collection and this particular time, he was to be bringing a Pep 22 for me. This was in the mid 90s. One problem that hadn't occurred to me was that, even though the book was being brought for me, if someone else merely SEES it, they might be able to overwhelm him with a high price and strongarm the book away before the show even opened. When I reached Kenny's table, the book was gone. A dealer by the name of Yee beat me to it. :( While I wasn't out any money, I paid a price to learn a lesson that day. meh

On 6/12/2023 at 1:44 PM, MrBedrock said:

The French's will never be forgotten by those of us who regularly set up. Wonderful people.

Indeed! They cared so much and worked so hard. So many times I would go out on the loading dock and sneak a smoke with Tom. You could tell he was a bit stressed but never admitted to it. Always positive and friendly. Once the French's left was the beginning of the decline of the vintage comic buying area...

On 6/11/2023 at 7:50 PM, Robot Man said:

The boards very own Mitch Mehdy at one of the earliest SDCC shows. Oh, how young we were once...:sorry:

Remember that view?

comphotomitch1.jpg

comphotomitch2.jpg

comphotomitch3.jpg

Mitch and the girl he's with look as if they could be siblings - are they?

On 6/12/2023 at 7:57 PM, Robot Man said:

I've had Harley offer to haul in my boxes out of the back of my van. The hardest working dealer in the business...(thumbsu

Yeah, there is always that "one guy" at almost any show. Often off the beaten patch. A couple years ago, I hit a guy I'd never seen. He had a lot of interesting books but nothing I was that passionate about. We struck up a conversation, got friendly and he told me he had a box under the table from a GA collection he just picked up and hadn't priced yet. I asked to see it and he pulled it out. My knees got a little weak when I found some real early and obscure GA books that I was really looking for. He priced them VERY friendly to me and I took them home. Nobody had seen them or even asked. They would have been gone to the first person who saw them. 

Maybe 10 years ago, there was a little small guy way out of the way of the GA/SA Pavillion at SDCC. He had a small rack of mostly carpy stuff but there were 3 nice GA books on his rack. He told me they were all half guide. I bought all 3. This was one of them...

combatman23.jpg

Wow, that's a GREAT score at half guide!!! Yeah, a lot of times it's the small-time dealers that can be overlooked and sometimes have hidden gems, both price and comic issue wise! Also, I've noticed that a lot of people at shows just kind of browse the table and wall books, seldom asking if there's anything else that isn't out. I've found a LOT of books in boxes behind the table that would've likely sold right away if they were out where people could see them. (thumbsu

On 6/12/2023 at 3:01 PM, Frisco Larson said:

Yes, the mom & pop shops that I probably never knew the names of were certainly in attendance!!! We've had them come to Minnesota from neighboring states too. One I'll never forget was Kenny and his wife Kay would come over from Wisconsin. Kenny was a big MLJ collector, and I spoke with him over the phone about an upcoming show there were going to be set up at. He was starting to sell off a lot of his collection and this particular time, he was to be bringing a Pep 22 for me. This was in the mid 90s. One problem that hadn't occurred to me was that, even though the book was being brought for me, if someone else merely SEES it, they might be able to overwhelm him with a high price and strongarm the book away before the show even opened. When I reached Kenny's table, the book was gone. A dealer by the name of Yee beat me to it. :( While I wasn't out any money, I paid a price to learn a lesson that day. meh

At 2019 SDCC, I was staying at the Embassy Suites, which provides a free all you can eat breakfast.  Figuring that I would beat the crowd by eating at 6:15 AM, I grab my tray, but the hardest working comic dealer, Harley Yee, already finished his breakfast.  In fact, the waitresses all knew him.  Harley was already getting ready to go to the exhibition hall, but chatted with me for a short while.

On 6/12/2023 at 9:50 PM, Mmehdy said:

I will say this for the current naysayers....there still is a group of people who still hang out there and it is still worthwhile to attend. I will be there at preview night and hope to say hi to a number of collectors and friends I see every year.

Yo!  Can you get me in?

On 6/12/2023 at 9:47 PM, BitterOldMan said:

At 2019 SDCC, I was staying at the Embassy Suites, which provides a free all you can eat breakfast.  Figuring that I would beat the crowd by eating at 6:15 AM, I grab my tray, but the hardest working comic dealer, Harley Yee, already finished his breakfast.  In fact, the waitresses all knew him.  Harley was already getting ready to go to the exhibition hall, but chatted with me for a short while.

Without question, Har IS the hardest working guy in the comic business!!! AND he can move like a cat too!!! I've seen Har barrelin' down the aisles at shows at a remarkable speed! :manhero: