• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I remember when the San Diego comic con was only comic books, and I was in heaven.
1 1

77 posts in this topic

On 6/11/2023 at 4:01 PM, aardvark88 said:

Terry Stroud and Stephen Stroud told me this Easter 1971 flyer was 1 of the first comicons they sold at in Anaheim, not San Diego.

20230611_154828.jpg

Now, that was a guest line-up! All for $3. and FREE autographs. I never heard of that show or I would have gone with bells on!

On 6/11/2023 at 4:45 PM, Robot Man said:

Now, that was a guest line-up! All for $3. and FREE autographs. I would have gone with bells on!

Crikey, I just read the fine print. $3 was admission for all three (3) days of this 1971 Anaheim comic con. Stick your nose close to several Frazetta oil on canvas paintings in wonderment and awe! Kirby not bad either, as he was debuting a portfolio of fresh characters. e.g. Darkseid, Mr. Miracle, Metron with Moebius chair, and Orion before the release of 'New Gods' #1. 

On 6/11/2023 at 6:22 PM, tth2 said:

Was that the last time he showed one of his comic books?

Yes, I believe so, especially after she stole than all while he was half asleep and in a drunken stupor one night: lol

comphotomitch2.jpg

Ah.................those days of sweet innocence when young love was so great.  :luhv:

On 6/11/2023 at 11:22 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

.I know folks like to tease Mitch, and he's a good sport about it, but he does have a kewl GA collection that leans heavily into art. If he chooses to share images here I'm sure they'll impress collectors here, but he tends to be a bit more private about displaying collectibles and I respect that choice. 

Mitch is old school secret.  Nothing wrong with that. The guy certainly has owned some great stuff, including at one time Krigstein’s OA for Master Race. But lots of folks do not feel an obligation to posts books or OA here.  I really only post books that I either think are off the beaten path and have a good story or I plan to sell. 

On 6/12/2023 at 9:57 AM, Robot Man said:

I didn’t post those pictures of Mitch to mock or embarrass him. Just to show the fun, innocent times when SDCC was just so great.

I remember carpooling down from LA with friends. Paying the nice old lady at a card table my $5. Weekend pass. Piling a bunch of us into an El Cortez room. Eating at Denny’s because it was close and cheap. Away from our parents staying up late, drinking beer, smoking weed and playing poker with comics as chips. Hanging around the pool in the evenings listening to Kirby, Eisner and others swapping stories. And spending every dime I had in the dealer’s room.

One year I spent half of my entire budget on a GA Flash #1. Had to think long and hard about it. I was “the man” with my buddies. :roflmao:

Great times that are gone forever…

Sounds like a life well lived.  (thumbsu

On 6/12/2023 at 3:32 AM, Duffman_Comics said:

Great guest line up, but who on earth is "Carmen Infantino"?

Blame the typo on the Disney Nostalgia Con co-organizers Jerry O'Hara and David T. Alexander. Robt Beerbohm drove in to Anaheim, CA and was vending vintage comics in April 1971.

Fun fact: that Kirby 8 plate 'Deities' portfolio was created from superheroes Kirby dreamed up in the late 1960's while still at Marvel. Later published by DC as the Fourth World titles: New Gods, etc.