• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Transformers And GIJOE Comics Licensor Announced: Welcome, Skybound!
2 2

52 posts in this topic

So far they've announced 3 out of the 5 members of the initial Autobot team. They are Optimus Prime, Arcee, and Cliffjumper was revealed this morning. Of the two remaining, one is absolutely Wheeljack, and the other has to be Ratchet, despite that being a tad redundant.

Anyone have any thoughts on thst lineup? 

Here's the image we have so far:

r30h6itkte7b1.thumb.jpg.0d8e2fed397da1dd9e64af3b266ab277.jpg

I'm not keen on a shared toy box with the Joes even though I like both properties. IDW started strong on TF but it ultimately sputtered towards the end of the run.  There were also some things that felt out of place for Transformers, at least to me.  Hopefully Skybound gets back to the core of the series... To sell toys/write some good stories.

On 6/21/2023 at 10:31 PM, Cat said:

So far they've announced 3 out of the 5 members of the initial Autobot team. They are Optimus Prime, Arcee, and Cliffjumper was revealed this morning. Of the two remaining, one is absolutely Wheeljack, and the other has to be Ratchet, despite that being a tad redundant.

Anyone have any thoughts on thst lineup? 

Here's the image we have so far:

r30h6itkte7b1.thumb.jpg.0d8e2fed397da1dd9e64af3b266ab277.jpg

Could that possibly be Iron Hide and not Ratchet? They have the same shape in toy form.

On 6/22/2023 at 11:00 PM, Dave2739 said:

Could that possibly be Iron Hide and not Ratchet? They have the same shape in toy form.

It's got a visible chevron on the forehead, so this is definitely Ratchet. 

On 6/23/2023 at 4:15 AM, Dave2739 said:

D'oh! I didn't notice that. 

Easy to miss. You're far from the first to not notice it, mate, as it's a pretty minor detail to zip past. :)

And finally! 

fiid9fkqks7b1.thumb.jpg.8a70edf026f367a8a638ddea55875647.jpg

I would have preferred him with the red head and white chevron, but that's okay, I like both looks. As long as it's not white helmet with red chevron. That one makes me furious. 

That's also pretty brave of them, lose a lawsuit over their use of the Red Cross red cross, so instead we'll try just making it black. Very gutsy. 

@Dave2739

Edited by Cat

Finally got to read Void Rivals #1. A very interesting opening. Just don't expect much of the TRANSFORMERS. Jetfire is literally in it for like 2 pages, there and gone. Yet I'd still say it's worth it, it's good set-up for something. 

My only gripe is a personal one. I don't like that we're focusing on other alien races. I prefer the Cybertronians to be THE alien race in question, but that's obviously not the route we're going down, so so be it. 

Here's hoping it goes somewhere. 

We're now onto the Decepticon cast. Looks like Starscream, Soundwave, Laserbeak, Rumble, and Thundercracker or Skywarp. I'd prefer Thundercracker but realistically I'd reckon they'll go for Skywarp because of his teleporting ability. 

l1iv82uxxd8b1.jpg.dfb22b94e72afff1c894d68f3371d44b.jpg

Edited by Cat

On 6/26/2023 at 9:42 PM, Cat said:

Finally got to read Void Rivals #1. A very interesting opening. Just don't expect much of the TRANSFORMERS. Jetfire is literally in it for like 2 pages, there and gone. Yet I'd still say it's worth it, it's good set-up for something. 

My only gripe is a personal one. I don't like that we're focusing on other alien races. I prefer the Cybertronians to be THE alien race in question, but that's obviously not the route we're going down, so so be it. 

Here's hoping it goes somewhere. 

I really enjoyed the story here in VR#1 and can see how these two other alien races play a huge part with the Transformers and even GI Joe. I just hope that none of this falls apart, because it doesn't take much for this to happen with today's comic book storytelling. I'm just excited to finally get some ongoing Transformers books by a team that loves the source material.

On 6/27/2023 at 10:49 PM, captainzombie said:

I really enjoyed the story here in VR#1 and can see how these two other alien races play a huge part with the Transformers and even GI Joe. I just hope that none of this falls apart, because it doesn't take much for this to happen with today's comic book storytelling. I'm just excited to finally get some ongoing Transformers books by a team that loves the source material.

I failed to mention that I did enjoy it too, excited to see where it goes. I already knew what happened before I got to read it, obviously, so I expected it to be rather dull, but I really liked it still, despite the dearth of actual Transformers content in it. It's definitely a good read, and I like both the new protagonists. I just wish Robert hadn't straight out told us that these are the new protagonists, so we could have some suspense around their story and current predicament. Oh well, I don't blame him for being excited! 

On 6/27/2023 at 8:49 AM, Cat said:

I failed to mention that I did enjoy it too, excited to see where it goes. I already knew what happened before I got to read it, obviously, so I expected it to be rather dull, but I really liked it still, despite the dearth of actual Transformers content in it. It's definitely a good read, and I like both the new protagonists. I just wish Robert hadn't straight out told us that these are the new protagonists, so we could have some suspense around their story and current predicament. Oh well, I don't blame him for being excited! 

I totally agree with you here. I'm surprised they kept this a secret as much as they did with the Transformers and GI Joe for as long as they did. The story reminds me a lot of Enemy Mine if you remember that movie from the 80's.

On 6/28/2023 at 12:03 AM, captainzombie said:

I totally agree with you here. I'm surprised they kept this a secret as much as they did with the Transformers and GI Joe for as long as they did. The story reminds me a lot of Enemy Mine if you remember that movie from the 80's.

Don't recall that film, sorry, but yeah, I'm absolutely shocked this managed to remain a secret. That just doesn't happen these days. 

On 6/27/2023 at 9:27 AM, Cat said:

Don't recall that film, sorry, but yeah, I'm absolutely shocked this managed to remain a secret. That just doesn't happen these days. 

I'm not too sure how well it holds up to today since I haven't watched it in years, but worth a watch if you have the time.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089092/

On 6/28/2023 at 12:32 AM, captainzombie said:

I'm not too sure how well it holds up to today since I haven't watched it in years, but worth a watch if you have the time.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089092/

That does sound alright, and definitely like Void Rivals. 

The final reveal, it is indeed DWJ's favourite Decepticon, Skywarp. 

TF_RosterRevealA9_full.thumb.jpg.9724e5d6dc8ef34a63d6ddbd3d2e8953.jpg

That's the entire opening cast of the book now, both factions. What do you think, peoples?