• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Transformers And GIJOE Comics Licensor Announced: Welcome, Skybound!
2 2

52 posts in this topic

On 6/30/2023 at 12:12 PM, Cat said:

The final reveal, it is indeed DWJ's favourite Decepticon, Skywarp. 

TF_RosterRevealA9_full.thumb.jpg.9724e5d6dc8ef34a63d6ddbd3d2e8953.jpg

That's the entire opening cast of the book now, both factions. What do you think, peoples? 

I've bought the GI Joe crossovers, but I don't think I've bought a straight-up Transformers comic since the first Dreamwave series over twenty years ago.

That said, I'm pretty excited about this one, due to Daniel Warren Johnson and Kirkman. (thumbsu

The art is pretty lackluster, but hey, it's just a pin-up, so I will reserve judgment. I've been spoiled by years of Milne and Roche.

Skywarp was one of my first Transformers, and I always loved his color scheme, but having two Seekers and not all three feels odd. Of course, who knows which characters will actually appear in the book itself?

I also appreciate Skybound making their stance on FIRRIB clear, right out of the gate! 

On 7/1/2023 at 5:27 AM, F For Fake said:

The art is pretty lackluster, but hey, it's just a pin-up, so I will reserve judgment. I've been spoiled by years of Milne and Roche.

Skywarp was one of my first Transformers, and I always loved his color scheme, but having two Seekers and not all three feels odd. Of course, who knows which characters will actually appear in the book itself?

I also appreciate Skybound making their stance on FIRRIB clear, right out of the gate! 

I'm actually loving the art we've been seeing, I can't wait to see more. There's just something so unique about DWJ's renderings. It might be a flavour of the month thing with me though, we'll see, but the art is definitely in a style we haven't seen before, something very hard to accomplish. That said, I do hope we get Somme of the IDW talent back, guys like Guidi, Milne, Griffith, Musso, and Casey (blanking on his surname right now, it's not even 6am, so please forgive me, Casey!). 

It's good having a focus on Skywarp, he does deserve one, but you're right, it IS weird having just 2/3 of the Seeker TRIO. I get they wanted to keep the cast small, but they could have had Thundercracker instead of one of the cassettes and no one would feel slighted. Soundwave is defined by his cassettes after all. 

On the Autobot side I'm happy enough, though I still don't know on a team that small if you needed both Wheeljack and Ratchet, both of whom can do repairs when it comes down to it, Ratchet obviously being more skilled. Don't get me wrong again, I like both of them, great characters, but I'm not sure we needed both in a 5 bot roster. 

For personal reasons I would have liked to have seen Prowl there, or anyone of the Autobot cars, really. I hope it's not too long before he shows up. I can't wait to see him in DWJ's style. 

I don't expect these roster re to last long anyway, judging by what happened in Void Rivals #1, which, without spoiling, introduced us to a bot who is not on the roster here. So we've already got more characters floating around waiting to be used, assuming we don't see him in VR again, which feels unlikely. 

On 6/30/2023 at 3:57 PM, Cat said:

I'm actually loving the art we've been seeing, I can't wait to see more. There's just something so unique about DWJ's renderings. It might be a flavour of the month thing with me though, we'll see, but the art is definitely in a style we haven't seen before, something very hard to accomplish. That said, I do hope we get Somme of the IDW talent back, guys like Guidi, Milne, Griffith, Musso, and Casey (blanking on his surname right now, it's not even 6am, so please forgive me, Casey!). 

It's good having a focus on Skywarp, he does deserve one, but you're right, it IS weird having just 2/3 of the Seeker TRIO. I get they wanted to keep the cast small, but they could have had Thundercracker instead of one of the cassettes and no one would feel slighted. Soundwave is defined by his cassettes after all. 

On the Autobot side I'm happy enough, though I still don't know on a team that small if you needed both Wheeljack and Ratchet, both of whom can do repairs when it comes down to it, Ratchet obviously being more skilled. Don't get me wrong again, I like both of them, great characters, but I'm not sure we needed both in a 5 bot roster. 

For personal reasons I would have liked to have seen Prowl there, or anyone of the Autobot cars, really. I hope it's not too long before he shows up. I can't wait to see him in DWJ's style. 

I don't expect these roster re to last long anyway, judging by what happened in Void Rivals #1, which, without spoiling, introduced us to a bot who is not on the roster here. So we've already got more characters floating around waiting to be used, assuming we don't see him in VR again, which feels unlikely. 

I don't think I know Daniel Warren Johnson's work. Name doesn't ring a bell, and I don't really read moderns anymore, with very few exceptions. So, not impressed with the promo art, but maybe in the context of storytelling it'll grab me a bit more. I will attempt to remain open minded!

Yes to Prowl, Gimme all the Prowl, all the time. 

On 7/1/2023 at 6:06 AM, F For Fake said:

I don't think I know Daniel Warren Johnson's work. Name doesn't ring a bell, and I don't really read moderns anymore, with very few exceptions. So, not impressed with the promo art, but maybe in the context of storytelling it'll grab me a bit more. I will attempt to remain open minded!

Yes to Prowl, Gimme all the Prowl, all the time. 

The only thing I know him from is a wrestling comic that I almost bought because it truly did look interesting, but I loathe wrestling (sorry Buzzetta and Jaybuck43) so I just couldn't pull the trigger on it. Had a cool title too - 'Do A Powerbomb'. That got me looking at his art, which somehow drew me in, but seemed very wrestling heavy. I never saw any Transformers pieces, but this was just a month or two ago. 

I think @theCapraAegagrus bought the book iirc? Goatie, was it you that bought 'Do A Powerbomb', and if so, what's it like?

And this is a good opportunity to reset Prowl. He just became too much under IDW. This is the perfect opportunity to show the other side of him, that's not the 'scheming pr&#k'. 

Edited by Cat

On 6/30/2023 at 4:15 PM, Cat said:

The only thing I know him from is a wrestling comic that I almost bought because it truly did look interesting, but I loathe wrestling (sorry Buzzetta and Jaybuck43) so I just couldn't pull the trigger on it. Had a cool title too - 'Do A Powerbomb'. That got me looking at his art, which somehow drew me in, but seemed very wrestling heavy. I never saw any Transformers pieces, but this was just a month or two ago. 

I think @theCapraAegagrus bought the book iirc? Goatie, was it you that bought 'Do A Powerbomb', and if so, what's it like?

And this is a good opportunity to reset Prowl. He just became too much under IDW. This is the perfect opportunity to show the other side of him, that's not the 'scheming pr&#k'. 

Yeah, I've never understood the appeal of wrassln' myself, so it's not my bag. I'm sure that you could tell good stories about it, though, same as anything else.

Yes, Redemption for Prowl, as they took him just a little TOO far. 

On 7/1/2023 at 6:22 AM, F For Fake said:

Yeah, I've never understood the appeal of wrassln' myself, so it's not my bag. I'm sure that you could tell good stories about it, though, same as anything else.

Yes, Redemption for Prowl, as they took him just a little TOO far. 

Likewise, it's not for me, but so many people enjoy it, it must have something to it. I'm just not interested in learning what that 'something' is. An old flatmate tried to show me, but all I saw was the same old thing, and even he admitted it was a bad run he was watching at the time, so okay, fair enough, I get that, I'm not going to ding you for that. I'd have liked to see it at it's best, that's all, seeing I've got you here explaining it all to me. Ah well. 

Prowl being behind all the black ops stuff - perfect. Prowl being behind every little thing that happened on Cybertron that turned bad - now we're taking it a bit too far, guys. I was rereading an early MTMTE just the other night, and it was Skids and Getaways' special op on Chief Justice Tyrest. They simply established it was a black op, shady, and controlled by a mysterious bot, then literally gave the viewer a panel to figure out it was Prowl in charge of it all. Perfect use of the character, and we never ever even saw him. Later on it got too much. "Coffee cup fell over."

"Why, Prowl, why us?! RUN". 

Daniel Warren Johnson did amazing work in Ultramega. First time I had seen his work and man me a fan for sure. One of my personal favorites and highly recommend if you havent read it yet. 

Certainly made me eye all his covers for this series and will be adding transformers to my box primarily because of him... I was hoping he would do a few interiors for Void Wars too, but grabbing most of his covers while I can.

Excited to see how this plays out.  I have very little experience with previous runs, but Im hoping thats a good thing.

On 7/7/2023 at 12:58 AM, Mirkinator said:

Daniel Warren Johnson did amazing work in Ultramega. First time I had seen his work and man me a fan for sure. One of my personal favorites and highly recommend if you havent read it yet. 

Certainly made me eye all his covers for this series and will be adding transformers to my box primarily because of him... I was hoping he would do a few interiors for Void Wars too, but grabbing most of his covers while I can.

Excited to see how this plays out.  I have very little experience with previous runs, but Im hoping thats a good thing.

This looks to be very classic G1, and we haven't seen much play out yet to confirm or refute that. I'm sure it'll be very accessible to new readers like yourself. Hope you enjoy it! 

On 6/30/2023 at 4:15 PM, Cat said:

Wise Man... @jaybuck43, Tell him how it is... 

5b3d218b193f472f9717bf9030caf5dffad68f0ffb61c4ae4e0232f598f701c6.jpg.f562fa13853351aa56fbaf1da6b972f4.jpg

7rppsc.jpg.c08031d699976acb1c9aa9b0dfe918cb.jpg

7rpq0b.thumb.jpg.713c843a741666865b954d772b856e3e.jpg

For anyone going to SDCC this year, Skybound will be offering an ashcan of Transformers #1. If anyone here is going, and intends to pick one up, please let me know, as I am desperately after one myself.