• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books on the history of comics in America?
1 1

21 posts in this topic

People here have incredible stores of knowledge as regards comics, and I can only assume some of that is from experience, but I also assume some of that comes from written sources.  So . . . what books do folks here recommend if one wants to learn more about the history of comics, artists, writers, companies, etc?

Thanks!

I have this one. Great read…

Comics : Between the Panels

This lavish volume takes an in-depth look at the history of comics in a manner decidedly unlike the dry timelines and profiles of most reference-style titles. Via alphabetical entries, the authors take an irreverent, often hilarious, behind-the-scenes look at creators, companies, characters, collectors, and conventions, pulling no punches when exposing some of the darker sides of the industry.

Containing countless stories gleaned from over 150 interviews of comics industry veterans, Comics Between the Panels is loaded with more than half a century of insider information on the talented and eccentric creators who forged the comics industry and art form.

Features 670 illustrations and photos — including dynamic and bizarre cover art compiled under such curious headings as Atomic Bombs, Death with Indignity, Gorillas, Headlights, Hooded Menaces, and Skulls.’

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/1317323

Edited by Ken Aldred

Books I've read the last few years in no particular order...

Empire of the Superheroes

Slugfest

True Believer

My Captain America

Comic Shop

The Comic Book Makers

The Boy Who Loved Batman

Marvel Comics:  The Untold Story

Men of Tomorrow

American Daredevil:  Comics, Communism and the Battles of Lev Gleason

Another vote for 'Marvel Comics:The Untold Story' by Sean Howe. A fascinating read. 

'The Golden Age' by Paul Levitz, I think it's just called. There's a matching Silver Age volume, or you can buy them together as one large coffee table volume. Lots of photos, check it out before committing, because it may not be what you're looking for. 

For specific books, can't go better than talking to their creators. Tom DeFalco's wonderful 'Comics Creators On' series interview creators involved with a particular franchise. There's 3 IIRC, Spider-Man, X-Men, and Fantastic Four. All are great reads, with a good mix of Legends and lesser creators of the time, many of whom went on to become legends since the books' publications.

Edited by Cat

Look past books per se. Seek out the EARLY issues of TwoMorrow's 'Alter Ego' magazine, the interviews by Jim Amash especially- for a wonderful period, he sought out and interviewed many, many Golden Age creators and, as such, you discover things about the publishers, the distribution and the general perception of the comics industry through these transcribed interviews. A serious gift for anyone who appreciates history.

On 6/13/2023 at 10:35 AM, Cat said:

‘The Golden Age' by Paul Levitz, I think it's just called. There's a matching Silver Age volume, or you can buy them together as one large coffee table volume. Lots of photos, check it out before committing, because it may not be what you're looking for. 

Those are great volumes! I think that photo-rich format is definitely worth checking out, as the captions and smaller blurbs have a high density of valuable information. Plus, since comics are a visual medium, I don’t think text and lengthy narratives alone are the best format for learning about them. My 2c anyway. 

On 6/12/2023 at 5:59 PM, 2Sunny said:

People here have incredible stores of knowledge as regards comics, and I can only assume some of that is from experience, but I also assume some of that comes from written sources.  So . . . what books do folks here recommend if one wants to learn more about the history of comics, artists, writers, companies, etc?

Thanks!

Based on your parameters:

The Comic Book Heroes - Gerard Jones, Will Jacobs (1996 edition)
Marvel Comics: The Untold Story - Sean Howe

I give my highest recommendation on each one of these, except 1940-1944 which for me was a bit of slog, still it is very good :

American Comic Book Chronicles: 1940-44
American Comic Book Chronicles: 1950s
American Comic Book Chronicles: 1960-64
American Comic Book Chronicles: 1965-69
American Comic Book Chronicles: 1970s
American Comic Book Chronicles: 1980s

American Comic Book Chronicles: 1990s

Comic Book Implosion - Keith Dallas, John Wells

Edited by MAR1979

I picked a copy of this up at a flea market for $2. It's a large format book full of reproductions of comic pages along with Harvey Kurtzman's observations and reminiscences. It's EC heavy, but that's not a bad thing, especially given the role Kurtzman played there.

from-aargh-to-zap-harvey-kurtzman.jpg.2574eaf9701549c7c0301381e60949d7.jpg

On 6/12/2023 at 6:04 PM, Ken Aldred said:

I have this one. Great read…

Comics : Between the Panels

This lavish volume takes an in-depth look at the history of comics in a manner decidedly unlike the dry timelines and profiles of most reference-style titles. Via alphabetical entries, the authors take an irreverent, often hilarious, behind-the-scenes look at creators, companies, characters, collectors, and conventions, pulling no punches when exposing some of the darker sides of the industry.

Containing countless stories gleaned from over 150 interviews of comics industry veterans, Comics Between the Panels is loaded with more than half a century of insider information on the talented and eccentric creators who forged the comics industry and art form.

Features 670 illustrations and photos — including dynamic and bizarre cover art compiled under such curious headings as Atomic Bombs, Death with Indignity, Gorillas, Headlights, Hooded Menaces, and Skulls.’

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/1317323

I fully agree. My favorite book about comics. Everything you ever wanted to know about not only the comics but the hobby in general. Stories about not only the creators but about collectors and “finds” and the pursuit and hunt. HIGHLY recomended! Every comic fan should have it in their library. A real page turner!

IMG_6929.jpeg

On 6/13/2023 at 8:55 PM, Robot Man said:

I fully agree. My favorite book about comics. Everything you ever wanted to know about not only the comics but the hobby in general. Stories about not only the creators but about collectors and “finds” and the pursuit and hunt. HIGHLY recomended! Every comic fan should have it in their library. A real page turner!

IMG_6929.jpeg

I bought a copy last night.  Your interests in comics seem pretty aligned with mine, so your recommendation carried allot of weight. 

I have lots of travel, for work and play, coming, so it will be good for long plane rides. 

On 6/13/2023 at 6:34 AM, comicstock said:

Men of Tomorrow

You definitely can't go wrong with this book here, especially if you are into DC, as this book here talks about the origins of DC and the men (eg. Jack Liebowitz) who started and built up this comic book publishing company into the powerhouse that it eventually became.  :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

On 6/14/2023 at 6:10 AM, KCOComics said:

I bought a copy last night.  Your interests in comics seem pretty aligned with mine, so your recommendation carried allot of weight. 

I have lots of travel, for work and play, coming, so it will be good for long plane rides. 

Thanks. As much as I love comics, I enjoy searching them out and coming upon discoveries. There are many of these stories by the old timers in the hobby. A lot of folklore from the folks that were around when it happened a lot more than it does now. Let me know what you think of it. Your plane flights will zip by…

Was the Marvel Comics: An Untold Story the one that had some controversy when it came out because it made Stan Lee come off negatively or was that another one that came out around the same time?

An interesting one I would suggest is Eric Stanton & the History of the Bizarre Underground It's more about the history of the underground fetish comics and the life of the artist Eric Stanton so not about the more mainstream topics of the comic world. Stranton was also at one point roommates with Steve Ditko with the book talking about the work they two might have done together such as Stranton apparently sometimes being the one who would draw women characters for some of Ditko's work and a possible influence in the creation of Spider-man since he had a relative that he would call, Aunt May.