• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

cgc signature series information on label
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Hi,  

there is a cgc signature series item for sale with what looks like Stan lees signature and Mike Mayhew's.  The only one that is mentioned on the label is Mayhew's Signature.  That doesnt seem right.  The guy claims to have a COA and that CGC messed up in a message from him.  Am I right to call this a Scam?

s.jpg

I mean CGC has been known to mess up occasionally. Or maybe he submitted the book with the Stan COA thinking CGC recognizes them as “proof” (a common mistake) altho then CGC would’ve green labeled it or treated Stan’s sig as “damage.” Maybe that’s the mistake he’s referring to them admitting. Anyway CGC policy is very confusing for a lot of people and there’s a few explanations I can think of beyond immediately jumping to calling someone a scammer

It's a little sus that the book released in July 2018 and Stan passed in December 2018.  It's possible Stan signed the book in those 5 months.  That's a fairly legible Stan signature for that time of his life.  But I'm more inclined to believe that CGC messed up and instead of assigning a yellow/green label, somehow completely overlooked Stan's signature.  The thing I hate is that book got past the grader and quality control (though that assumes there's a QC department to begin with) without anyone notifying the slabbing department.

there's a difference between being hesitant/weary and calling something a scam.

If you're not confident don't buy it, but don't accuse someone (especially publicly) of committing a crime without evidence, especially if you might not have a ton of experience with something...

But I would think its a mistake by CGC most likely.

I would contact CGC with this info and ask them directly.  No harm.