• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John Romita Sr has passed away at 93
1 1

18 posts in this topic

My condolences to all his family and friends.

I have fond memories of meeting him and his wife Virginia over the years.  

I was fortunate to see them in 2017 at his tribute exhibition at the Society of Illustrators Museum in NYC.  The Spider-Man art exhibited was from Mike Burkey's private collection.  That may have been one of his last public appearances as he wasn't attending conventions at that point.

Although, it was a long day and into the evening, John Romita Sr graciously signed all program books from the event for everyone.

An Amazing artist and a Spectacular person.  

I met John and his wife at the 2006 NY Comic Con.  I was moved nearly to tears while having  John do a sketch in one of his art books.  His wife was so nice and kind.

I started collecting Amazing Spider-Man with issue 153, so I missed John's work off the stands, but as I collected all the back issues, I came to love his work.

RIP John

Sad news indeed, by all accounts John was one of the nicest guys in the business . . . and I always admired him as an artist.  He was top-notch.

For the sake of full transparency, I would say that I definitely lean more heavily towards Steve Ditko's run on Spidey, but do remember being blown-away by John's debut on ASM, especially his cover art for ASM #39, which was beautifully illustrated and had tremendous impact (it remains one of my all-time-favorite ASM covers . . . simply stunning).  As a replacement for Ditko, I can't fault Stan Lee's choice.  John's run on the title, as artist, was outstanding . . . up there with the best of Marvel.

Interesting to read John's thoughts on Spidey in the linked piece Brian posted, in particular the following quote:

For about a year, Ditko and Stan were absolutely disagreeing on plotting. Ditko was plotting, and they weren't even talking. It already had probably gotten a little bit confusing to readers for about a year. 

I know I'm nit-picking here, but this is interesting to me as a point of discussion, and would say that the only confusion I'm getting is that if Ditko and Lee weren't even talking at the time (which is well documented), I can't see how they would be, "absolutely disagreeing on plotting" (unless Lee was complaining separately to others)?  Also, as a (then) reader of the book, I was never confused by the plotting of Ditko's final year on Spidey . . . and it was that final year that gave us the much-loved Master Planner trilogy . . . along with # 37 that laid the groundwork for Norman Osborne's villainy that would soon lead to the big reveal of his Green Goblin alter ego.  The wrap-up to the Green Goblin saga had been much-awaited.  That John was handed that two-parter gave him the best possible start on the title.  No-one was going to miss THAT storyline!

Rest in peace, John.  You will be sadly missed.

Edited by The Voord

On 6/13/2023 at 9:28 PM, Brian Peck said:

I wonder, is this how some folks out there intend to remember the great John Romita? This one sold for $101 after a weeklong listing by nolalostboy on eBay. I guess the 3 art gallery stamps on the back did not have the FOMO effect a seller might hope for.

A different seller listed the Spider-Man with four characters. He says there is a written notation from John on the back but he's not taking it out of the frame and doesn't remember what it was. Are you sure it's original and not a print? His response was " life is full of risks you have to take a chance to find out." I wish he had the balls to put that quote in his listing that guarantees it's 100% original. Also the ask is approximately $10k. And he mentioned he cut a larger sized board to fit it in the frame? Any relation to the Brothers MarkUpAndCutUpAlot ?

IMG_3847.jpeg.bd7efc50d789ea627c479303bb34efe2.jpegIMG_3848.jpeg.354975fc593a3c719bcf3a9eb29c0728.jpegIMG_3679.thumb.jpeg.b14c9ec17c37be4e529675def3994899.jpeg

On 7/13/2023 at 1:31 PM, grapeape said:

I wonder, is this how some folks out there intend to remember the great John Romita? This one sold for $101 after a weeklong listing by nolalostboy on eBay. I guess the 3 art gallery stamps on the back did not have the FOMO effect a seller might hope for.

A different seller listed the Spider-Man with four characters. He says there is a written notation from John on the back but he's not taking it out of the frame and doesn't remember what it was. Are you sure it's original and not a print? His response was " life is full of risks you have to take a chance to find out." I wish he had the balls to put that quote in his listing that guarantees it's 100% original. Also the ask is approximately $10k. And he mentioned he cut a larger sized board to fit it in the frame? Any relation to the Brothers MarkUpAndCutUpAlot ?

IMG_3847.jpeg.bd7efc50d789ea627c479303bb34efe2.jpegIMG_3848.jpeg.354975fc593a3c719bcf3a9eb29c0728.jpegIMG_3679.thumb.jpeg.b14c9ec17c37be4e529675def3994899.jpeg

The seller of the 2nd piece is a self described New Yorker... what else do you need to know? :roflmao: