• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Point Five's 4th Annual Grading Contest: ROUND 1 BOOKS!
7 7

48 posts in this topic

1. Action Comics #33

This one had the most big misses by far. Many of you seemed to grade by the book's eye appeal -- which is substantial! -- but 'spine of cover completely split & cover detached' is a big honking structural thing and (I imagine) was always going to keep the book somewhere in the 1.0-2.0 range. I was pleased this got a Universal grade.

action33slab.thumb.JPG.8844b14e8516324982a3c5d691a4473a.JPG

2. Amazing Spider-Man #300

Most of you were within range on this one... and to be fair this one was impossible to grade from the scans, as the wear is so subtle that it barely shows up. My guess in hand was an 8.5, but all those tiny spine cracks on the back must have done it in. If I really scrutinize the back cover I can see a very faint rub or two, but nothing that should have dropped the grade IMO. The front looks sharp and beautiful.

asm300slab.thumb.JPG.2aff2eccd8ccf10bf7218bf9f5c79138.JPG

3. Black Cat Mystery #50

The most bullseyes on this one. In hand I was thinking it was a 2.0/2.5 tweener, but 1.8 would not have been shocking either, so I'm happy it stayed above that line.  

blackcatmystery50slab.thumb.JPG.c3f95c60e7bd6416893685b9504d0062.JPG

On 6/18/2023 at 10:31 PM, scburdet said:

I was totally ready to march on Sarasota when that Action Comics came in >2. I'm shocked, shocked I tell you that this is a grade completely consistent with a fully split spine.

Video gif. Eyes wide in disbelief, a shocked monkey puppet turns towards us with his mouth open.

And you just know many pro dealers :shiftyeyes: would sell this as a raw 2.5 or 3.0 and not think twice.