• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Uncanny X-Men #120
2 2

19 posts in this topic

There's blue ink in different spots, particularly along the top edge. It looks kind of like distributor ink, but it's not 100% clear without at top edge shot. I'm a little concerned about the pattern of that ink on the TRBC that looks like it could have seen some water. Ignoring that, I can't see this over 8.0 with the corner issues & apparent scuffing in the black areas.

@scburdet

The top edge is blue-green. I don't see any water damage, think the ink just flowed down when wet. I think it's "over spray"? I was just looking at the corners and noticed some folded pages. I tired to unfold them and some of the paper flaked off. How does that affect the grade?

PXL_20230617_234736945.jpg

PXL_20230617_221336637.jpg

Edited by MikeTheSpike

On 6/17/2023 at 8:45 PM, joeypost said:

That top right corner of the back cover looks like it has moisture damage and an associated tide line. 

Do you see actual damage, beyond just the tide lines?

PXL_20230618_012407334.jpg

PXL_20230618_012352479.jpg

Edited by MikeTheSpike

This does not look like distribution ink to me, just some kind of moisture problem. These sort of issues are the most harshly treated by CGC. 5.0/5.5 but I don't think the interior flaking will result in further deduction unless the pages a brittle more broadly.

On 6/17/2023 at 9:49 PM, joeypost said:

Look at the inside of the back cover. 

Similar to the exterior, tide lines. But I don't see anything I would call moisture damage, such as waviness. Are the tide lines enough to deduct on?

PXL_20230618_041116811.jpg

On 6/18/2023 at 12:35 AM, MikeTheSpike said:

Similar to the exterior, tide lines. But I don't see anything I would call moisture damage, such as waviness. Are the tide lines enough to deduct on?

PXL_20230618_041116811.jpg

Moisture damage can exists without any waviness in the affected area. When the moisture is heavy enough to leave a tide line, CGC usually deducts heavily for that. 2-3 full grades at a minimum depending on the severity of the damage.

On 6/18/2023 at 12:45 PM, joeypost said:

Moisture damage can exists without any waviness in the affected area. When the moisture is heavy enough to leave a tide line, CGC usually deducts heavily for that. 2-3 full grades at a minimum depending on the severity of the damage.

Ok, but what is the damage in this case? Like, what do you see that you would call damage? This ink doesn't even appear to be water soluble, how could it be water damage?

Edited by MikeTheSpike

On 6/18/2023 at 12:07 AM, scburdet said:

This does not look like distribution ink to me, just some kind of moisture problem. These sort of issues are the most harshly treated by CGC. 5.0/5.5 but I don't think the interior flaking will result in further deduction unless the pages a brittle more broadly.

The green coloration across the top of the book is caused by moisture?

On 6/18/2023 at 1:03 AM, grendelbo said:

Thanks for posting.

On 6/18/2023 at 2:23 PM, bighairjer said:

One of my faves!  5  considering the defects mentioned herein.

I'm not sure I understand. You guys are saying it's equivalent to or worse than this book, which looks like a kid fingerpainted on it?B8111D00-1637-4E72-B66A-DDCF307CA91F.jpe

On 6/18/2023 at 12:27 PM, MikeTheSpike said:

I'm not sure I understand. You guys are saying it's equivalent to or worse than this book, which looks like a kid fingerpainted on it?B8111D00-1637-4E72-B66A-DDCF307CA91F.jpe

That looks like distribution ink gone wild which will deducted as a flaw by CGC but not treated as harshly as a stain.2c

Edited by grendelbo

On 6/18/2023 at 2:39 PM, grendelbo said:

That looks like distribution ink gone wild which will deducted am as a flaw by CGC but not treated as harsh as a stain.2c

So if the distribution ink is slopped all over the back, it's not too bad, but if a little bit runs down the back, it's very bad?

Edit: or are you saying that stuff that ran down the back is something else, even though it looks like it's the same as the distributor ink on the rest of the top of the book? Like Kool-aid or something that's coincidentally the same color and placement, complete with spatter pattern below the run?

Edited by MikeTheSpike

I have a book with a teeny tiny, barely visible stain on the front at 6.5 that otherwise would be >8.0 IMO. Another 8.0 with a small stain on the back that would be >9. Manufacturing & distribution defects are treated less harshly than something from a post-sale defect. Anything that's a stain or exposure to water or other substances is a big CGC no-no. I learned this the hard way. You don't have to like it, but that's how they grade. Distribution ink is something comic sellers used to ID their products, so it's treated like it came brand new with it (because it was). It's an aesthetic defect, whereas a stain is a defect defect. I do highly recommend the book b/c it gives insight into how CGC thinks about the broad array of defects & what bin each defect belongs in. It may mean that you won't want to submit certain books that otherwise look nice for CGC certification b/c there's no way the number in the corner will be satisfying/worth the investment. I certainly have a couple that if I'd accurately pre-graded them by CGC standards, I probably would have tried buying better copies to grade & selling the one I had. At this point, anything with a stain goes into my "don't grade" pile unless it's super high value or otherwise so unique that the prospects are low of finding a comparable book elsewhere (e.g. something like a key with a Mark Jewelers insert). This would fall into my don't grade pile. It's a really nice looking copy from the front, but will probably only command about $75 graded. So that would be investing at least 1/3 of the value in grading. Anecdotally, there are an s-ton of slabbed mid-grade comics on ebay & elsewhere that aren't selling for the prices people list. I suspect a lot of these are submission "mistakes" b/c of unidentified problems & the attempts to recoup investments in buying & grading aren't going the right direction. 2c

https://shop.collectiblesgroup.com/products/the-official-cgc-guide-to-grading-comics-1st-edition-soft-cover 

You had distribution ink which is not uncommon and usually not treated harshly but that ink was subsequently contacted by water (moisture) and created a more defined tide line. That distribution ink on your other photo is nuts and I have to believe that was difficult for them to grade.

Nice spine, front cover looks pretty good overall, I’ll say 5.5.