• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Point Five's 4th Annual Grading Contest: ROUND 2 BOOKS!
4 4

62 posts in this topic

On 6/20/2023 at 10:10 PM, Point Five said:

6. Hawkman #4

This grade completely floored me. I was shocked, and still am. I fully expected a 5.5, could have rolled with a 5.0... maaaybe a strict 4.5. But wow, 4.0. I've owned many VG-range copies of this exact issue, and this copy smokes them all. The defects are all subtle and the eye appeal is super. (The discolored areas look much worse in CGC's scans... my original scans are a better representation, as they are barely visible at all.)

The only thing I can say is that going back over the slabbed book with a fine-tooth comb, I notice that along the upper spine, Hawkman's hand and the building above it are washed out when compared to other copies... plus the aforementioned areas of discoloration. Even with all that, I'd be at 4.5 before I would ever be at 4.0. (shrug) 

hawkman4vgslab.thumb.JPG.1f548372ee460c2c8e0bf6bf34991609.JPG

Was looking at this book really close, and agreed with everyone (?) that it should be in the 5-ish range.. somehow, that tick between the DC logo and the H at the top of the cover made me think differently...hm

On 6/20/2023 at 10:24 PM, Sandflea said:

Was looking at this book really close, and agreed with everyone (?) that it should be in the 5-ish range.. somehow, that tick between the DC logo and the H at the top of the cover made me think differently...hm

Cool. I was going to ask how you landed on 4.0. Well, whatever the route, you got there!  (thumbsu

I suppose it must be one of those 'accumulation of scattered flaws' types of things, but that's not a very satisfying answer... particularly for the guy that paid to submit the book in the first place.  :taptaptap:

On 6/20/2023 at 11:10 PM, Point Five said:

This grade completely floored me.

I have two bronze age 4.5s and there's almost no way this book should grade lower. Any grader can have a bad day & it's a shame there's not a good way to deal with something like this. I'm sure there isn't b/c it would be abused constantly since everyone thinks their books should all grade 3 spots higher than what the label says.

On 6/20/2023 at 7:31 PM, Point Five said:

Cool. I was going to ask how you landed on 4.0. Well, whatever the route, you got there!  (thumbsu

I suppose it must be one of those 'accumulation of scattered flaws' types of things, but that's not a very satisfying answer... particularly for the guy that paid to submit the book in the first place.  :taptaptap:

He used a Jedi Mind Melt on you and grabbed the grade from your brain , it was easy this time because your mind still could not wrap around it still .:sorry:

On 6/20/2023 at 10:38 PM, davidking623 said:

He used a Jedi Mind Melt on you and grabbed the grade from your brain , it was easy this time because your mind still could not wrap around it still .:sorry:

My mind is melted all right!  :insane:

On 6/20/2023 at 10:31 PM, Point Five said:

Understandable...I'd be kinda miffed too. Still, a very great looking book IMO :headbang:

On 6/20/2023 at 10:38 PM, davidking623 said:

Far from being a Jedi; I sorta believe in absolutes... lol