• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Universal vs qualified

17 posts in this topic

I was just thinking why this Superman 1 is a blue label, but a Hulk 181 missing value stamp is Qualified. Is there a Golden age Qualified even.?

lf?set=path%5B2%2F8%2F1%2F9%2F6%2F28196709%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Edited by woowoo

On 6/18/2023 at 9:27 PM, woowoo said:

I was just thinking why this Superman 1 is a blue label, but a Hulk 181 missing value stamp is Qualified. Is there a Golden age Qualified even.?

lf?set=path%5B2%2F8%2F1%2F9%2F6%2F28196709%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure it’s because of the grade. I believe when a book is either a 1.0 or .5, it’s soo low they don’t apply the qualify element anymore. Just 1.5 and higher. And yes, golden age books just like a book from any era can get the qualified label for missing a coupon, value stamp, etc... I think that’s what you were asking in your last question, but correct me if I’m wrong.

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 6/18/2023 at 10:09 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure it’s because of the grade. I believe when a book is either a 1.0 or .5, it’s soo low they don’t apply the qualify element anymore. Just 1.5 and higher. And yes, golden age books just like any book can get the qualified label for missing a coupon just like in any other era. I think that’s what you were asking in your last question, but correct me if I’m wrong.

well, there are Hulk 181 in .5 and .1 Qualified 

hulk 181.jpg

On 6/18/2023 at 10:18 PM, woowoo said:

well, there are Hulk 181 in .5 and .1 Qualified 

hulk 181.jpg

So it’s tough to know without tracking down those Hulk 181’s and Superman 1’s, but I’m nearly 100% certain it’s because they have married covers, which also results in a green qualified label. I mean if you can find any green label 1.0’s or .5’s that’s due to a coupon or marvel stamp missing please post. Because I searched on eBay and the only 1.0 qualified books I could find was due to having married elements.

Easy!  :preach: Qualified (Green) Labels are used for books that would grade much higher, if not for a SINGLE significant defect (such as a missing page, a detached cover/centerfold, or an unwitnessed creator signature on the cover).  The Superman #1 shown above has TWO significant defects rather than just one (the detached & split cover, and the interior cut-out).  :foryou:

x1.thumb.jpg.ccacf8b1daefdfa593c2d17d1afb0ad8.jpg

Edited by zzutak

On 6/19/2023 at 12:28 AM, zzutak said:

Easy!  :preach: Qualified (Green) Labels are used for books that would grade much higher, if not for a SINGLE significant defect (such as a missing page, a detached cover/centerfold, or an unwitnessed creator signature on the cover).  The Superman #1 shown above has TWO significant defects rather than just one (the detached & split cover, and the interior cut-out).  :foryou:

x1.thumb.jpg.ccacf8b1daefdfa593c2d17d1afb0ad8.jpg

Aye there’s the rub. Ok that makes sense. Probably why I struggled to find 1.0 and .5 qualified books with specifically something missing in the interior like an ad or something because those grades already usually have two significant defects.

On 6/19/2023 at 1:51 PM, L'Angelo Misterioso said:

I think I've also seen binder hole-punched Timely file copies get green labels when they're high grades (besides the three small holes of course)

I remember seeing an Action 7 with 3-ring binder holes graded as a qualified 2.0 I believe 1st generation label

I bought a large collection of Atomic Age books many years ago. They were beautiful but 3 hole punched. Average 8.0 with beautiful pages. Folks were calling them good at best. I just had a hard time with that.

I sold a bunch of them pre CGC. I noted the grade without the holes but stated the holes, and priced accordingly. Not only did I have no problem but they all sold very quickly. Beautiful books with nothing missing just the holes. 

I long ago thought that they should be “qualified” and was very glad when CGC finally did it.

At the right price, I would buy them again any day of the week. 

Also to add to this discussion if the story were affected the book would get a 0.5. Most incomplete books go straight to the 0.5 grade. Missing pieces, back cover etc. However if the piece missing is small enough and doesn’t affect the story it can still receive a 1.0 and maintain a universal blue label.

Edited by gino2paulus2

On 6/20/2023 at 4:38 PM, Dark Knight said:
On 6/20/2023 at 2:51 AM, Primetime said:

IMG_1436.jpeg

I guess I'm color blind :facepalm:.  All jokes aside, I think if this same book were to be graded now, it would likely receive a green label 

From what I understand, if you have something that qualifies for a Green label, you can ask CGC to give it a Green label with a higher grade, or a Blue label with a lower grade.  In the case of this book, without seeing the back cover, and interior, I don't think a Blue label grade of 2.0 is unreasonable. Alternatively, if it was given a Green label, I could see it getting a 4.0 (or higher). 2c

On 6/20/2023 at 5:51 PM, Superman2006 said:

From what I understand, if you have something that qualifies for a Green label, you can ask CGC to give it a Green label with a higher grade, or a Blue label with a lower grade.  In the case of this book, without seeing the back cover, and interior, I don't think a Blue label grade of 2.0 is unreasonable. Alternatively, if it was given a Green label, I could see it getting a 4.0 (or higher). 2c

Yeah you're right. Would definitely be  4.0 if in a green label. I think from a value standpoint, leaving as is in the blue label would be worth more than if it were in a green label.

On 6/20/2023 at 9:40 PM, Dark Knight said:
On 6/20/2023 at 8:51 PM, Superman2006 said:

Yeah you're right. Would definitely be  4.0 if in a green label. I think from a value standpoint, leaving as is in the blue label would be worth more than if it were in a green label.

Yup, I think so too.