• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The New Grading Scale
1 1

3 posts in this topic

As I understand the upcoming grading scale changes, Gem Mint 9.5 will become Gem Mint 10, while 9's and below will stay the same grade. Okay, makes sense, but aren't the 0.5 grades still going to be used? If so, it seems there will be a new "Mint+ 9.5" added to the scale, correct? Does this mean that immediately following the change the population reports will have zero 9.5's, but over time there will start to be 9.5 grades again? If so, I wonder how graders are going to differentiate between a Mint 9, Mint+ 9.5, and Gem Mint 10. I currently own hundreds of 9's and 9.5's and I often cannot find the reason for the 0.5 grade difference (soon to become a full grade difference), so now squeezing a new 0.5 grade between these seems almost impossible... unless the standards for 9 and below slightly change as well... Does this then mean if I crack and resubmit a "strong Mint 9" (e.g. currently has two 9.5 subs and two 9 subs) I might expect to get a Mint+ 9.5 on the new scale?

Edited by Pokemon Mattster

• Administrator

Hello @Pokemon Mattster, thank you for contacting us. Yes, .5 grade increments will still be used, so 9.5s will still continue to be given as Mint Plus. Any current Gem Mint 9.5s will be listed as 10s in our population report, but 9.5 Mint Plus cards will be given stll after the merger date takes place. A 9 grade will likely remain a 9, however, there is a possibility that a strong 9 may change to a 9.5. With that said, you would kindly need to send the card in once again in order to have it regraded to confirm this. 

Please let us know if you have any additional questions. Thank you!

Thanks for the reply! I currently have a handful of cards that have two 9.5 subgrades and two 9 subgrades, if I send these in still in the slab would they automatically be upgraded to the new 9.5 Mint Plus, or is regrading required regardless? In general, if I have strong 9's (without subgrades) and I want to see if they might now become 9.5, should I send them back still in the slab or remove them and send raw? And for both of these situations, would the standard grading fee apply, or might only a reholder fee apply for the first case with strong subgrades?