• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Point Five's 4th Annual Grading Contest: ROUND 4 BOOKS!
4 4

46 posts in this topic

10. Strange Fantasy #7

You guys did really well on this one overall. I was hopeful for 4.5 or even 5.0, but that was too optimistic. Just too many subtle flaws pulling it down (see graders notes). Ah well. The eye appeal and gloss are super.

strangefantasy7slab.thumb.JPG.61ded48e23b06fcfb16d458c55fea842.JPG

12. Wanted Comics #52

And this one surprised me... in the other direction! I thought 3.0 with the stains on the back and other assorted flaws. No idea really but I'm guessing the staining was deemed transfer staining and got kind of a partial pass? or something? Who knows. It's a pretty book in any case.

wanted52slab.thumb.JPG.c81fc850641dd24b4af9e74fc05dbd4d.JPG

On 6/24/2023 at 10:07 PM, Point Five said:

front looks great

I spend a lot of time with this one. I wanted to put it at 5.0, but I think you're right that the back did it in.

On 6/24/2023 at 10:09 PM, Point Five said:

I thought 3.0

I also went back & forth on this one b/c of scoring the first one 3.5 and this one looks "worse", but it does seem like quite a bit of creasing is allowable at 4.0

10. Strange Fantasy #7  3.5

11. Wanted Comics #50  3.5

12. Wanted Comics  #52 3.0

And even though the wanted 52 has great color I thought the staining and creasing would cap it at a 3.0. Didn't finish as strong as I would've liked to, but I still had fun!

Looks like I read my notes wrong for strange Fantasy #7. I did have it at a 3.5.

Edited by Mars76

On 6/22/2023 at 10:39 PM, Point Five said:

[my notes]
The unusual cover colors here are correct as printed, not a production error / missing printing plate or anything. Overstreet notes: "unstable pink cover that fades easily."

wanted50.thumb.jpg.328ecad78717a7094a9f90408e50cca5.jpg

wanted50back.thumb.jpg.74b2e84609bae206ff379a843998d63c.jpg

Was curious what CGC would grade on this one; front cover looked 5-ish to me...hm

But nailed it on the Strange Fantasy and was off a grade on the Wanted 52...not too bad for a last round finish IMO 

It was definitely kind of a weird challenge that the grades were so similar this time around. In the ideal world, I like to give you guys a wider range of grades for these contests. But sheesh, I didn't tell CGC to give me a 4.0 on every freakin' book!  :makepoint: