• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2023 Awards/Registry Freeze Thread
5 5

139 posts in this topic

I'm just excited to see something "new" tried out, I joined just before the transfer of the old lay out of the boards to the new in 2016, so I know that can be a big transition or "change."

I'm willing to stick around to give it a shot :) 

Hi I have a question about the registry

how do you insure that everyone owns the books they say they own in their registry?

I ask this because people have tried to transfer books from my registry but I was paying attention.

some people in here have not made any changes to their registry in years.

if those people are not paying attention then people can transfer books off of that registry to their own registry because all you have to do is wait three days and if that person does not reply the book will automatically get transferred.

so how do you prevent this?

Just curious and I am really looking forward to your reply

Thanks

On 6/30/2023 at 8:05 PM, TDKR said:

how do you insure that everyone owns the books they say they own in their registry?

I ask this because people have tried to transfer books from my registry but I was paying attention.

if those people are not paying attention then people can transfer books off of that registry to their own registry because all you have to do is wait three days and if that person does not reply the book will automatically get transferred.

Thanks

Before a book is transferred an email is sent to your address on file; you can then stop it. If they persist you will have to contact someone at CGC.

Under the everything is custom idea:

I would hope there is a simple way to select a "base" set. If I was putting together a run of Action Comics I would be able to select from the following options:

1. Action Comics (base) 1-1001
  2. Action Comics (ALL) 1-1001 (includes variants)

After the selection then I could add/remove whatever I wanted to slim down my specific niche. This might be difficult given the previous discussion of variants, but a solid option of just having a "base" set to add to would work as well.

On 6/30/2023 at 9:05 PM, TDKR said:

Thanks

Great question!  And it's the first thing I asked when I took over the Registry.

The short answer is, we cant prevent it.  The sheer volume of cert transfers prevents me from validating every single transaction.  

The only thing I can do is react to complaints.  If someone is caught snarfing cert numbers, they will be contacted and asked to provide proof of ownership.  If they fail to provide the requested information, the book will be removed from their inventory.  If they persist, their account will be suspended.

On 6/30/2023 at 10:07 PM, DougC said:

Under the everything is custom idea:

I would hope there is a simple way to select a "base" set. If I was putting together a run of Action Comics I would be able to select from the following options:

1. Action Comics (base) 1-1001
  2. Action Comics (ALL) 1-1001 (includes variants)

After the selection then I could add/remove whatever I wanted to slim down my specific niche. This might be difficult given the previous discussion of variants, but a solid option of just having a "base" set to add to would work as well.

The things I want to do will require some extensive coding changes, which will not happen this year. 

What I have in mind for the Registry will require a new field, Series Year.  (I.e. the year Issue #1 was published).  Then, I envision the Official Set Categories to look like this:

•    Comic Age
•    Year
•    Title (Series Year)
Issues

The user would then be able to create their sets any way they like.  There would be a drop down box that would allow the user to choose which Award Category they wish to compete in.  This will more than likely require an official minimum and maximum number of books for a Competitive Set, which I am still unsure about.

On my end, it would simplify everything, I would only have to worry about one slot for one book, in one set.  

Again, this is all wishful thinking on my part.  

On 7/4/2023 at 12:03 PM, wytshus said:

The things I want to do will require some extensive coding changes, which will not happen this year. 

What I have in mind for the Registry will require a new field, Series Year.  (I.e. the year Issue #1 was published).  Then, I envision the Official Set Categories to look like this:

•    Comic Age
•    Year
•    Title (Series Year)
Issues

The user would then be able to create their sets any way they like.  There would be a drop down box that would allow the user to choose which Award Category they wish to compete in.  This will more than likely require an official minimum and maximum number of books for a Competitive Set, which I am still unsure about.

On my end, it would simplify everything, I would only have to worry about one slot for one book, in one set.  

Again, this is all wishful thinking on my part.  

So are their any plans for awards 2024? I know you say "not this year" and etc, but idk if that means 2023? or Awards 2023 July but possibly by awards 2024?

Or if there is anything actually certain that there WILL be change? even if not sure on "what kind" of change? lol 

On 7/4/2023 at 1:31 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

So are their any plans for awards 2024? I know you say "not this year" and etc, but idk if that means 2023? or Awards 2023 July but possibly by awards 2024?

Or if there is anything actually certain that there WILL be change? even if not sure on "what kind" of change? lol 

There will be Awards in 2024.  It's just a question of what the Registry will look like a year from now.

There may be no changes whatsoever, or there may be more changes than people would like. 

The main factor is the ERP migration, it is taking up all of IT's time and focus.  Once the migration is complete, I fully expect the Registry to be ported over to the format similar to Trading Cards.  THEN, I will engage with the AI team to work some magic, and implement the changes that I envision.

On 7/4/2023 at 12:41 PM, wytshus said:

There will be Awards in 2024.  It's just a question what the Registry will look like a year from now.

There may be no changes whatsoever, or there may be more changes than people would like. 

The main factor is the ERP migration, it is taking up all of IT's time and focus.  Once the migration is complete, I fully expect the Registry to be ported over to the format similar to Trading Cards.  THEN, I will engage with the AI team to work some magic, and implement the changes that I envision.

cool :) what will happen to the work we've done so far? will the "new" stuff be worked around it? or is there hope?

NOT that I MIND redoing it, but would like a heads up lol 

On 7/4/2023 at 1:44 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

cool :) what will happen to the work we've done so far? will the "new" stuff be worked around it? or is there hope?

NOT that I MIND redoing it, but would like a heads up lol 

That remains to be seen...

My initial thought is to mark existing user sets as "Legacy" sets.  The sets would still exist, but wouldn't be Competitive.  

I am not, nor have I ever been a programmer, so I don't know if anything I want can be accomplished.  This is all pure speculation.  My end goal is to automate the admin processes to the point where I have more time to do some marketing campaigns, and work with the Sig Series Team to bring in some artists, etc...

On 7/4/2023 at 12:53 PM, wytshus said:

That remains to be seen...

My initial thought is to mark existing user sets as "Legacy" sets.  The sets would still exist, but wouldn't be Competitive.  

I am not, nor have I ever been a programmer, so I don't know if anything I want can be accomplished.  This is all pure speculation.  My end goal is to automate the admin processes to the point where I have more time to do some marketing campaigns, and work with the Sig Series Team to bring in some artists, etc...

I'm sure the "layout" if it ever was implemented is still "under construction", I would just hate to lose the pics, descriptions and etc.

If they would "still exist" to the point of when the new layout comes around, and I could use my "legacy set" for scraps to otherwise copy, paste or simply upload?

I'd be ok with that, seemingly taking the pics and getting everything situated is time consuming. I can leisurely add description on the go, which is still "work", but being in a spot to situate a personal item, get only the info needed in the pic and etc depends on the weather and days off sometimes! :roflmao: 

Final Picks have been made.  

Winners will be announced July 21st.  

Between now and then, I will be doing some much needed maintenance in the Collector's Society. 

I am looking forward to the official announcement. There was stiff competition this year.  I think this year's winners represent the very best the Comic Registry has to offer.    

Again, thank you to everyone that participated, and contributed their thoughts and time to the 2023 Registry Awards!

On 7/8/2023 at 6:06 AM, wytshus said:

Final Picks have been made.  

Between now and then, I will be doing some much needed maintenance in the Collector's Society. 

I am looking forward to the official announcement. There was stiff competition this year.  I think this year's winners represent the very best the Comic Registry has to offer.    

Again, thank you to everyone that participated, and contributed their thoughts and time to the 2023 Registry Awards!

Awesome news.  

On 7/8/2023 at 7:19 PM, Murdo81 said:
On 7/7/2023 at 3:06 PM, wytshus said:

Picks have been made.  

Expand  

Awesome news.  

Anticipation! It'll be a long drum roll, but good to hear. :)

It's amazing that:

1. Taking a few weeks break to just appreciate the work put into you registry! ^^
  2. Only then to return to see if there are tweaks and feel :jawdrop:
  3. Enough to come here and start a bullet list of why you feel the way you do!
  4. :roflmao:
  5. Then laugh because you know you did the best you could! :takeit:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 7/10/2023 at 7:18 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

It's amazing that:

1. Taking a few weeks break to just appreciate the work put into you registry! ^^
  2. Only then to return to see if there are tweaks and feel :jawdrop:
  3. Enough to come here and start a bullet list of why you feel the way you do!
  4. :roflmao:
  5. Then laugh because you know you did the best you could! :takeit:

Only the best is what you do for your sets. :applause: