• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2023 Awards/Registry Freeze Thread
5 5

139 posts in this topic

Just a heads up:

All request Threads will be locked at 5:00 pm EDT

Request Threads will reopen on or about July 21st.

All Non-Transfer Add Fails will be rejected during this time.   (I learned the hard way last year....heh).

Add Fail resolution will also resume on or about July 21st.

Use this thread for general trash talking, criticisms of the Registry Admin, or just general comic book nonsense.

I will have more to say when I'm back from Vacation.

Thanks for participating in the Registry. and stay tuned.  Some exciting things are coming!

-Brian

On 6/23/2023 at 6:29 PM, com1cbook said:

I'm looking forward to DOMINATING my main competitive set (that no one cares about) for the 8th consecutive year. Best of luck to everyone competing in sets that actually matter!

You've got that "image" to maintain!

On 6/23/2023 at 7:29 PM, com1cbook said:

I'm looking forward to DOMINATING my main competitive set (that no one cares about) for the 8th consecutive year. Best of luck to everyone competing in sets that actually matter!

I’m going for my 10th consecutive year with my Godzilla set.

On 6/23/2023 at 6:55 PM, Jordysnordy said:

I’m going for my 10th consecutive year with my Godzilla set.

I remember the thread in copper, I thought it was all more recent than that. I can too understand if I don't win, some of mine have a fair amount of completion, pics and descriptions, but the grades are consistent it's just what I can afford lol

There comes a time, when run collecting is just as expensive as major books? I know that's right haha

On 6/23/2023 at 8:00 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I remember the thread in copper, I thought it was all more recent than that. I can too understand if I don't win, some of mine have a fair amount of completion, pics and descriptions, but the grades are consistent it's just what I can afford lol

There comes a time, when run collecting is just as expensive as major books? I know that's right haha

As long as we have fun and don’t go bankrupt filling in our sets!

Good luck to everyone competing in this year's CGC Awards.

I have achieved 18 Best Set Awards over the years, and from what I can see, I might win another 7 this year = 25.

I REALLY like the CGC Awards, and long may they continue.

Again, good luck everyone :-)

On 6/25/2023 at 10:08 AM, Saucer said:

I wish it was easier to find where to ask for new sets, but I'm old and not that good on a computer

also

Is it possible to have a comic removed from a set that may have been added by the admin, by accident? where would I request this?

image.png.f9fd133e67c420885e69db62da486822.png

what you would do:

Click on the set

Click on "edit set" tab at the top

Next to the book you'd want deleted, click the clear column box next to the book you want gone

then click save changes button at the bottom or to of screen by scrolling up or down

Then it will ask if you want it deleted or removed, select removed delete!

hit save

Especially if you don't own it etc

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 6/25/2023 at 10:08 AM, Saucer said:

I wish it was easier to find where to ask for new sets, but I'm old and not that good on a computer

also

Is it possible to have a comic removed from a set that may have been added by the admin, by accident? where would I request this?

If you are asking about removing a book entry from a set, that would probably need a discussion, and solid reason.

For example I noticed the following in the X-Men (1991) regular and variants full sets

image.png.f847711cf0fe148a5f32061afeb8f960.png

At some point this was added and it isn't a copy of X-Men #1, it only accepts the Reg # for Uncanny X-Men 281. Not sure why it was placed in this set or how it was labeled in this way. After the freeze is over I will ask that it be removed using "I want this to be added" thread.

If you want a set created that already doesn't have representation you can use the "This set doesn't exist, please build" thread, once it is unlocked.

On 6/25/2023 at 11:08 AM, Saucer said:

also

There is a Set Add Request thread, however, it is currently locked.,

I will reopen the Set Add Request thread after the Awards:

IIs it possible to have a comic removed from a set that may have been added by the admin, by accident? where would I request this?

If you feel that a book doesn't belong in a particular set, post in this thread, which is also locked.  It will reopen July 21st:

Please keep in mind that my philosophy is:

If someone takes the time, money, and effort to certify their book at CGC, they should be able to add it to the Registry.

That doesn't necessarily mean that book should be competitive.  I am more than willing to mark sub variants, and other anomalies as non-competitive.... 

Non Competitive slots do not count towards the set completion percentage, and they only receive 1 point regardless of grade.  

On 6/27/2023 at 2:07 PM, wytshus said:

That doesn't necessarily meant that book should be competitive.  I am more than willing to mark sub variants, and other anomalies as non-competitive.... 

Non Competitive slots do not count towards the set completion percentage, and they only receive 1 point regardless of grade.  

I was curious about this and wasn't sure if my custom sets were competitive lol

So I deleted them to see if it changed anything, it did not, but now it's deleted. I just wanted to make sure all my books were considered in the original sets, I can do without custom sets if needed. Idk if it would have been considered for awards, it was a distorted hologram custom set, but in the main sets those books look better as filler towards those being "complete!"

No worries, but it's nice to dream! Then go oh no! Post about it and then dream again! Lol

@ADAMANTIUM

One idea I've been kicking around is making all sets custom, then let the user decide which category they wish to compete in.

This would eliminate the need for competitive sets, and would allow me to re-organize the existing sets according to Series Year.  

I am hoping that this will be the last Awards using the Collector's Society.  My background is in IT, so I have been trained to never criticize the system.  So, I will just say that the CS has outlived it's usefulness.  It was originally designed for coins, and the comic book side was created a very long time ago. if you want a peek at the future of the Comic Registry, look at Trading Cards.  I only use CS for add fails and the Awards, the rest of the admin tasks are done on cgccomics.com, and looks very similar to the Trading Card Registry.

The problem I have been seeing is with the "Sub" Variants, i.e. legit variants that are modified by an artist for a specific comic con..  Now they are doing Sub-Sub Variants, which is a nightmare.

On 6/28/2023 at 10:14 AM, wytshus said:

One idea I've been kicking around is making all sets custom, then let the user decide which category they wish to compete in.

The problem I have been seeing is with the "Sub" Variants, i.e. legit variants that are modified by an artist for a specific comic con..  Now they are doing Sub-Sub Variants, which is a nightmare.

I like the idea of everything being default custom sets, but that would be a big change and change terrifies most people. This would need a gentle roll out with pre-made examples showcasing how much easier and better this will be for the user, then half will still not like it.

I feel your pain on the current variant shenanigans happening not only at cons but store exclusive facsimile reprints, which then have their own artist exclusive "trade dress" variants, then you have to have the Nebraska State Fair "virgin" artist variant of that store variant! THEN a couple years later when they still have boxes of inventory they send them off for some foil lettering and can sell them all again as anniversary exclusive foil artist store exclusive variants for the regional Nebraska Fair and Pop Culture convention.

On 6/29/2023 at 8:33 AM, DougC said:

I like the idea of everything being default custom sets, but that would be a big change and change terrifies most people.

Yes, I am taking that into account.  It will all depend on porting the Registry over to the new format.  LIke I said, its just an idea I've been kicking around.

Set consistency is a big problem, it has been since I inherited the Registry.  Not all sets are created equal, and I would prefer to have one book, in one slot, in one set.   

then you have to have the Nebraska State Fair "virgin" artist variant of that store variant!

That's hilarious, but not too far off the mark....0_o