• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Edgar Church Mile high copy of Superman # 1
2 2

44 posts in this topic

On 6/24/2023 at 8:04 AM, action1kid said:

I remember word circulating 30 years ago that it had colortouch .

I know for a fact that it wasn’t Redbeard. I got the fun of paging through it raw at his place right after he got it from Chuck. But, back then, I probably wouldn’t have known. Restoration was very rare back then. Hell, I was just dazzled anyway.

I talked to Bechara at CalCon on Feb about it but the subject of resto never came up.

Maybe it was done after he sold it.

This is one of those books that dreams are made of and was and still is something way out of my realm of comprehension. 

On 6/24/2023 at 8:31 AM, Terry JSA said:

Don’t feel bad, it’s $5M out of my realm too. 

I don’t feel bad at all. I’m just happy and lucky enough to be one of just a very select group of folks who actually got to hold and page through it before it was entombed for all eternity in a plastic coffin. I’m good with that. 

On 6/24/2023 at 11:41 AM, Robot Man said:

I don’t feel bad at all. I’m just happy and lucky enough to be one of just a very select group of folks who actually got to hold and page through it before it was entombed for all eternity in a plastic coffin. I’m good with that. 

Something I’ll probably never end up doing. But it would be cool to flip through an actual Superman #1, or an Action #1 for that matter.

On 6/24/2023 at 5:42 AM, DanCooper said:

Someone (Dark Knight) had posted this in the Goldin Auctions thread.

Book is now an 8.5 in a Pedigree holder, but still has color touch note on label (also retained it's original CGC certification number)

How does a book that's been resubmitted retain its original CGC number?  I've seen countless examples of "improved" books getting a new number.

On 6/24/2023 at 12:06 PM, Robot Man said:

Sometimes it pays to be a geezer from the dawn of collecting.

One of my first friends as a young teenager was a local guy named Gary Coddington. Some of you older SO CA folks might remember him. Gary was a few years older than me and had a physical disability. And a complete Superman collection. One of the earliest folks I bought, sold and traded with.

One day, I got to sit on the floor and actually read his Action #1. Probably worth the amazing sum of maybe a couple hundred bucks at the time. I then got to flip through the rest of the run until my eyes glazed over. His brother collected Batman and had a pretty similar collection but wasn’t quite as passionate as Gary.

Sadly, Gary passed away in his very early ‘30’s of kidney disease. 

I remember Gary 

On 6/24/2023 at 12:06 PM, october said:

I scanned a raw Action 1 for a buddy and got to flip through it. A little surreal.

Yet, you chickened out when Berk said you could take his Tec '27 out of the mylar. hm

On 6/24/2023 at 8:41 AM, Robot Man said:

So what you're saying is you got your dirty greasy hands on it and that's why it's not a 9.0? lol

On 6/24/2023 at 11:52 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

So what you're saying is you got your dirty greasy hands on it and that's why it's not a 9.0? lol

:roflmao:Not to mention we were probably both stoned.,.

I do remember Ron grading it VF at the time. Looks like he was spot on. I thought it looked NM. He was always a very strict grader but an “optimistic” pricer.

I have to say, it wasn’t quite at the grade level as the rest of the Church pile he had just gotton. But it was the Supe #1!

I got to manhandle all of them because I was his official photographer.

Good times! 

On 6/24/2023 at 12:03 PM, Robot Man said:

:roflmao:Not to mention we were probably both stoned.,.

I do remember Ron grading it VF at the time. Looks like he was spot on. I thought it looked NM. He was always a very strict grader but an “optimistic” pricer.

I have to say, it wasn’t quite at the grade level as the rest of the Church pile he had just gotton. But it was the Supe #1!

I got to manhandle all of them because I was his official photographer.

Good times! 

Nothing like scarfing down munchies and handling future million-dollar books. :roflmao:

Those must have been the days :headbang:

On 6/24/2023 at 11:16 AM, RareHighGrade said:
On 6/24/2023 at 7:42 AM, DanCooper said:

Someone (Dark Knight) had posted this in the Goldin Auctions thread.

Book is now an 8.5 in a Pedigree holder, but still has color touch note on label (also retained it's original CGC certification number)

How does a book that's been resubmitted retain its original CGC number?  I've seen countless examples of "improved" books getting a new number.

Re-evaluation by CGC prior to cracking and regrading.

On 6/24/2023 at 1:21 PM, adamstrange said:

Yet, you chickened out when Berk said you could take his Tec '27 out of the mylar. hm

Pretty sure Win held the Action 1 and paged through it while I looked. I 100% made him drive it to and from my house even though he lived a mile away. lol