• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signature Series submission “rainbow effect” or “Newton rings” - very disappointed
2 2

10 posts in this topic

First post and third CGC submission, with more planned.

Submitted Action Comics 1050 Ross variant for signature.

Received yesterday, and am pretty disappointed with the results (see pics).

Did a little searching on the boards, and is this known as "Newton Rings"???

I understand this is caused by inner & outer protectors/cases/slabs touching each other.

Aside from looking bad, is there any risk to the integrity of the comic itself?

I'm disappointed that CGC would ship something like this, as the others I have submitted have been flawless.

Anyone else encounter this and if so, what was the resolution.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

IMG_20230624_132759762.jpg

IMG_20230624_132712673.jpg

IMG_20230624_132718803.jpg

IMG_20230624_132755607.jpg

We put a man on the moon, but the technology to keep two transparent plastics transparent when placed against each other still eludes us.

Reposted from another forum-

Around 30 years ago I worked on drum scanners at several color houses, to avoid newtons rings when scanning transparencies we would apply a light dusting of scanning powder to the mounting surface of the transparency (Kodachrome or Ektachrome slides, 2x3 or larger professional transparencies) when mounting to the scanning drum. This worked quite well unless you were enlarging the scan about 300-400% then you would oil mount the transparency to avoid enlarging the powder grains. Obviously oil mounting collectables is out of the question, but since slabbed books are not going under a microscope perhaps a similar product could be used when encapsulating comics? I'm not sure if scanning powder is even available anymore as by the late '90's-early 2000's digital cameras pretty much moved drum scanning to the dustbin.

I am wondering if CGC could incorporate something similar, applying a light dusting of scanning powder between the surfaces of the mylar and slab to prevent Newton Rings, maybe CGC Mike could look into it?

Edited by CitrusZ28
Adding comment

I know that sometimes CGC puts a plastic wedge in the case to keep the comic from moving.  Does anyone have a comic with a wedge that also has Newton Rings?  If not, maybe they could put a wedge in every case, and avoid the rings.  Unless people find the wedge even less tolerable.

If you are extremely careful there are methods you can try to either remove, or at least minimize, severe Newton Rings. I myself have received books with Newton Rings as severe as what you show, and I have been able to completely remove them. There are many YouTube videos on this subject, so I would suggest you check out a few and decide for yourself if you feel confident in attempting any of the methods shown.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I'd love to hear how things work out.