• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Return shipping to Canada
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I was looking at the rates for shipping, does the 100$ fee for shipping to an address in Canada cover all the costs? 

I recently had ordered a book from Ebay in the US and FedEx charged me 25$ customs/duty fee, is there a way to 
ensure that this does not occur?
I noticed someone mentioning to use this phrase on the packing slip or submission form. 

Canadian goods being returned, shipped to US for grading purposes only
Is there any specific to use as to ensure that this is prominent on the return packaging? Or is it not necessary and 
some other process is used currently.  As for the cost the invoice is in US dollars with the current exchange rate 
it would add an additional 30% to the overall costs of using the service as a whole including the return shipping.

• Administrator

Hello @aabruzzese

If you are submitting from outside the US, the burden of proof as to where the books shipped from falls to you. CGC recommends that you visit your local customs office before shipping your submission and explain your intentions for these comics — that they are yours and are being sent to the US for evaluation only. They will provide you with a form that should accompany your comic submission, and, when the books are returned with this form, the package will not be called into question.

If we receive a submission without this form, we will return the books with any claim stickers that were affixed to the original box. This can sometimes work as proof of where the books shipped from. The value that we will declare on the package is the amount paid for the grading of the books, and they will be noted from the country of origin goods being returned, and shipped to the US for evaluation only. This is because return shipping to locations outside the US requires special duties and shipping charges. The shipping fee on our submission form does not include these customs fees. 

Let us know if you have any other questions. 

On 6/24/2023 at 5:02 PM, aabruzzese said:

I was looking at the rates for shipping, does the 100$ fee for shipping to an address in Canada cover all the costs? 

I recently had ordered a book from Ebay in the US and FedEx charged me 25$ customs/duty fee, is there a way to 
ensure that this does not occur?
I noticed someone mentioning to use this phrase on the packing slip or submission form. 

Canadian goods being returned, shipped to US for grading purposes only
Is there any specific to use as to ensure that this is prominent on the return packaging? Or is it not necessary and 
some other process is used currently.  As for the cost the invoice is in US dollars with the current exchange rate 
it would add an additional 30% to the overall costs of using the service as a whole including the return shipping.

I'm in Winnipeg. When I send books down to CGC, I use Fedex and I fill out a Commercial Invoice indicating it's a non-sale shipment, with similar language to your example: "Will be returned after evaluation"

I've made 15 submissions so far and haven't yet ( :wishluck: ) been charged by Canadian Customs on the Fedex return shipments. (oh boy, that's the kiss of death) 

CGC shipping documentation or package marking doesn't include any such reference as to how/when/why the books were originally imported into the US. I wouldn't expect it to.

Advice from the Boards I remember reading a while ago was to keep your copies of the Commercial Invoice for your shipments. If Fedex charges you for Customs/Brokerage fees, you can make the argument as to the reason for the original importation.

Hope this helps

cb

You have to be joking right?

100$ US to ship 6-10 books to Canada.. at the current exchange rate that is like 130$ Canadian. 

So you add an extra 20$ per book .. holy frijoles! 
I will check how much to ship from a redirect instead as the Domestic shipping is much lower. 

On 7/2/2023 at 6:47 AM, ArcherC said:

I'm in Winnipeg. When I send books down to CGC, I use Fedex and I fill out a Commercial Invoice indicating it's a non-sale shipment, with similar language to your example: "Will be returned after evaluation"

I've made 15 submissions so far and haven't yet ( :wishluck: ) been charged by Canadian Customs on the Fedex return shipments. (oh boy, that's the kiss of death) 

CGC shipping documentation or package marking doesn't include any such reference as to how/when/why the books were originally imported into the US. I wouldn't expect it to.

Advice from the Boards I remember reading a while ago was to keep your copies of the Commercial Invoice for your shipments. If Fedex charges you for Customs/Brokerage fees, you can make the argument as to the reason for the original importation.

Hope this helps

cb

Prior to leaving Canada, a Canadian resident may attend at a CBSA office with their goods (e.g., purse, jewelry, camera, video equipment, computer/laptop, etc..  Where goods are uniquely identifiable (that is, have a serial number), the CBSA will compete a wallet-sized card called Form BSF407 (formerly Y38) “Identification of Articles for Temporary Exportation”. The individual will then be asked to sign the declaration on the front of Form BSF407, certifying that the goods listed were, to the best of his or her knowledge, either produced in Canada or lawfully imported into Canada. Individuals are not required to produce sales receipts or other proof of lawful purchase or importation when issuing Form BSF407. A properly completed Form BSF407 indicates that the individual presented the goods to the CBSA before leaving Canada. There is no expiry date on the form.

On 7/4/2023 at 5:50 PM, aabruzzese said:

You have to be joking right?

100$ US to ship 6-10 books to Canada.. at the current exchange rate that is like 130$ Canadian. 

So you add an extra 20$ per book .. holy frijoles! 
I will check how much to ship from a redirect instead as the Domestic shipping is much lower. 

Sure, let me know.

cb  

On 7/5/2023 at 1:55 PM, ArcherC said:

Sure, let me know.

cb  

I have a US address in Arizona, am checking to see how much it would cost to ship from there to Montreal. It may not be worth the extra step in the end but one never knows.