• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Asm 238 tattooz question
1 1

16 posts in this topic

So I have an asm 238 that does have the tattooz in the insert. But the insert itself is damaged. How would cgc note this? Is it still blue label but takes a small hit for the insert damage? If so, how much of a hit?

Second part to this. The tattooz are obviously loose in the insert, how could I secure them in there so they don't potentially fall out due to the damage to the insert, or would that be considered partial resto?

Any help is appreciated!

On 6/25/2023 at 10:46 AM, Sebastsk8 said:

So I have an asm 238 that does have the tattooz in the insert. But the insert itself is damaged. How would cgc note this? Is it still blue label but takes a small hit for the insert damage? If so, how much of a hit?

Second part to this. The tattooz are obviously loose in the insert, how could I secure them in there so they don't potentially fall out due to the damage to the insert, or would that be considered partial resto?

1. That's actually a good question, which I'm not sure of the answer to.
  2. Another good question, but in this case I'm certain that the answer is to leave them alone.

I have heard stories of folks taking the "Tatooz" from F.F. 252 and use them to replace the missing Tatooz in ASM 238, is this the case with this particular book?

Here is a pic of my F.F. 252 with the insert removed, as you can see, there is a tear at the staple and the cover is detached from the top staple.

thumbnail.jpg

On 6/26/2023 at 12:07 PM, marvelmaniac said:

I have heard stories of folks taking the "Tatooz" from F.F. 252 and use them to replace the missing Tatooz in ASM 238, is this the case with this particular book?

Here is a pic of my F.F. 252 with the insert removed, as you can see, there is a tear at the staple and the cover is detached from the top staple.

thumbnail.jpg

Maybe? Impossible to know if the tattooz were taken out to be swapped into a copy of ASM #238 without one OR if it was just a kid back in the day ripping out the tatooz because tats are cool.

I would guess that whatever damage has been done to the insert will be taken into account in the overall grading of the book.  I would expect it to weigh the same as if an interior page had some slight damage of some kind.

Now, if there's evidence as noted above that this is an attempt at replacing a missing Tatooz, that would obviously be a different story.

On 6/26/2023 at 12:07 PM, marvelmaniac said:

thumbnail.jpg

No clue honestly, the insert I'm almost 100% sure is original, because who would swap out a damaged insert?(it's not damaged at the staples, it's ripped)

As far as the tattooz, it's possible it was swapped but there's no real way to tell as it's the same as the one that would have came with it.

I'm pretty sure they would give a blue label since there's no definitive way to prove it was swapped out, but unsure how much of a grade hit it would take. The entire insert is intact, just part of it was ripped. It's a shame since the book itself is in great shape, probably around the 8.0-8.5 range.

On 6/26/2023 at 10:04 PM, conan09279 said:

I had this exact question. As you can see from the photos, the front cover insert is torn  but they are still attached with the tattooz. I have no idea how this would be handled.

7EDC6F84-A73F-45B4-B5EB-B574CA52AC2B.jpeg

EEDFF3CD-F02E-40E1-8BD1-60C9CF6AB259.jpeg

Not sure.

I personally would treat it same as a page missing - same as if page 1 was torn out. 

On 6/26/2023 at 8:18 PM, MAR1979 said:

Captain America #279 and Star Wars #69 also have Tattooz sans advertising on the cover.

That's misleading, at best. Some copies of issues other than ASM 238 and FF 252 that were produced at the same time have the insert. They don't have advertising on the cover stating such because they were never meant to have it.

Edited by Lazyboy
clarification

On 6/26/2023 at 10:42 PM, Lazyboy said:

That's misleading, at best. Some copies of other issues that were produced at the same time have the insert. They don't have advertising on the cover stating such because they were never meant to have it.

ok grumpy

Edited by MAR1979

On 6/26/2023 at 6:44 PM, Sebastsk8 said:

No clue honestly, the insert I'm almost 100% sure is original, because who would swap out a damaged insert?(it's not damaged at the staples, it's ripped)

As far as the tattooz, it's possible it was swapped but there's no real way to tell as it's the same as the one that would have came with it.

I'm pretty sure they would give a blue label since there's no definitive way to prove it was swapped out, but unsure how much of a grade hit it would take. The entire insert is intact, just part of it was ripped. It's a shame since the book itself is in great shape, probably around the 8.0-8.5 range.

Hey, I can weigh in here.  I had a very similar situation.  Bought an ASM 238 at a local show.  I inspected it, the insert was intact, however, very slightly tilted down (I'm talking almost unnoticeable).  I.figured there has to be some degree of not being perfect each copy, right?  

Well, maybe it was spliced in, maybe it was not.  To me, it seems like it was genuinely original to the book, there was no evidence of staple terror or separation, the cover was really tight.

However, here is what I got when I submitted.  Still came back as a universal, but there was a comment that the tattoos insert was married.

Based on what you're saying I guess it's possible yours would have the same result.  

Screenshot_20230709-090231~2.png

On 6/26/2023 at 6:44 PM, Sebastsk8 said:

Oh and as a second follow up, I think this does impact the grade.  I'm certainly not a professional grader, but active in the hobby and I feel pretty confident I get close between 0.5-1.0 on almost every submission.  My book was easily a 7.5-8.0 and got a 5.5 

Edited by Tcarroll17

Does any one have any insight on the tattoo missing but the insert intact? Just bought a copy with the insert intact and uncut/unripped, yet when I shine a light the tattoo is missing.... Again the insert is intact no staples missing, tares or openings (specifically on the insert) yet no tattooz.