• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC folded and pressed the cover of my book
6 6

44 posts in this topic

On 6/29/2023 at 9:48 PM, Ryan Bates said:

I submitted my Daredevil #158 to the recent Frank Miller signing. When I got the book back I was surprised to see it came back a 7.5, but then I looked at it and was shocked to see the bottom right corner was folded up and pressed. The book was not in that condition when it was sent in for pressing, signing and grading. I have both photo and video evidence of the before and CGC just emailed me back saying it could have happened in transit and that graders base the grade on the book they receive. Totally understand that, but the book was pressed and signed before grading. Also, shipping damage wouldn't fold only the corner of the cover up, it would have bent the whole book. I think they are just trying to get out of responsibility. Thoughts?

Attached is the scan of the book I sent in and the book now in the case.

IMG_5923.JPG

IMG_5924.JPG

C4A0251B-F8E4-424F-86F9-03B1DEFAFB62.JPG

We're living in very strange times, aren't we?  

On 6/30/2023 at 8:16 AM, Ryan Bates said:

I'm more freaking out that the customer service rep told me via email they couldn't do anything and it happened during shipping to them :jawdrop:

To give the customer service rep the benefit of the doubt and assume the corner did fold over as shown during shipment to CGC (which I 100% believe to be incorrect), they may want to immediately fire the presser who then pressed the comic with the corner still folded.   :facepalm:

Things used to be different with CGC. I remember when I first submitted back in 2007 or so I did not pack the comics correctly and the bundle shifted inside the parcel and banged the lower right corner of nearly every comic submitted. A customer service rep (Gemma?) immediately contacted me to let me know what had happened and warn me that the comics would most likely grade lower than I had expected. She offered me the option to proceed with grading or to have the comics returned at no extra cost (other than shipping) which I gratefully accepted.   :foryou:

• Administrator
On 6/29/2023 at 11:07 PM, Ryan Bates said:
On 6/29/2023 at 9:55 PM, CGC Mike said:

Hi

I am very sorry that this happened to you.  Let me contact management and see what they have to say about this.

Mike

Thank you Mike, I appreciate it.

Hi

Can you please send this back in to us?  Create a submission form by selecting the mechanical error option.  If for some reason the 14 day window has expired, and the OSF will not allow you to complete a ME form, let me know and I will get a prepaid shipping label for you.  

I believe the reasons for a ME is limited.  I would select damaged holder.  Be sure to write ATTN:  Matt Nelson in the address.  Also, write the same on the packing slip.  When you ship the book, please PM me the tracking number.  If you have any further questions, you can PM me.

Mike

I'm curious, from a close up perspective does it look like it got folded back during slabbing or is it folded like it would with the weight of a heat press?

I'd assume slabbing, but nowadays...

Edited by Tnexus

On 6/30/2023 at 5:13 PM, Tnexus said:

I'm curious, from a close up perspective does it look like it got folded back during slabbing or is it folded like it would with the weight of a heat press?

It's hard to say 100% but looking close up, my immediate thought was that it was pressed into it because it's very flat. Either way, damage was done to the book while in CGC's care.

On 6/30/2023 at 8:13 PM, Tnexus said:

If it was from the press, the grader would have received it that way, and it's not in the notes. So that only leaves the encapsulation process as the scene of the crime. And then missed by QC and the shipper.

"could have happened in transit"

9_9

Sometimes, what CGC says and does makes me wonder, are those people really that clueless, or are they pitbulls when it come to denying everything?

On 6/30/2023 at 3:11 PM, bighairjer said:

In transit????   Wow, I’m floored.   Good luck here, I hope it works out to your satisfaction.

The only way that happened in transit, is if he threw it in a large box, with no bag or board. Just a naked comic slamming around in a box, and I doubt seriously he sent it like that. That crease looks like it was pressed in there IMO.

Edited by DR.X

On 7/1/2023 at 7:40 AM, DR.X said:

The only way that happened in transit, is if he threw it in a large box, with no bag or board. Just a naked comic slamming around in a box, and I doubt seriously he sent it like that. That crease looks like it was pressed in there IMO.

Again, if pressed in, the grader would have noted the huge fold. NOT in the notes.

On 7/1/2023 at 11:37 AM, Lightning55 said:
On 7/1/2023 at 6:40 AM, DR.X said:

Again, if pressed in, the grader would have noted the huge fold. NOT in the notes.

Graders would have noticed it? People have been posting tons of books in here, with defects the graders didn't see.

Edited by DR.X

My guess is it happened post pressing and grading. This shows how little the encapsulation team knows about comics, as anyone with any comic knowledge would have looked to see if the piece was missing or just folded over. Seeing it was folded over, it should have been brought to someone’s attention. 

The only other reason I can see against this type of service is they have a quota that makes this type of interaction impossible, and have been told to seal em’ and box em’ up as quickly as possible. 

On 7/1/2023 at 6:43 PM, joeypost said:

My guess is it happened post pressing and grading. This shows how little the encapsulation team knows about comics, as anyone with any comic knowledge would have looked to see if the piece was missing or just folded over. Seeing it was folded over, it should have been brought to someone’s attention. 

The only other reason I can see against this type of service is they have a quota that makes this type of interaction impossible, and have been told to seal em’ and box em’ up as quickly as possible. 

Does not inspire even a modicum of confidence or trust in the company.

On 7/1/2023 at 6:43 PM, joeypost said:

Seeing it was folded over, it should have been brought to someone’s attention. 

Most likely they didn't see it, or bring it to anyone's attention, because they were the one who DID it when they encapsulated the comic. It probably got folded over as they put it in the capsule, didn't notice that it happened, sealed it up.

On 6/30/2023 at 6:58 PM, Lightning55 said:

If it was from the press, the grader would have received it that way, and it's not in the notes. So that only leaves the encapsulation process as the scene of the crime. And then missed by QC and the shipper.

I think what really bothers me most is that someone at CGC did this and was very likely aware of the damage and one or more employees likely saw this folded corner and ignored it.  It suggests a culture where some or many employees don’t own up to their mistakes and pass them on rather than get in trouble.  

On 7/2/2023 at 8:07 PM, thehumantorch said:

I think what really bothers me most is that someone at CGC did this and was very likely aware of the damage and one or more employees likely saw this folded corner and ignored it.  It suggests a culture where some or many employees don’t own up to their mistakes and pass them on rather than get in trouble.  

Blameless postmortems (most famous today in the Google SRE model) are probably the best way to improve quality control in a production setting. However one of the most effective ways for a smooth talker to rise in Corporate ranks is to point blame and feign outrage.

Edited by MAR1979