• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC folded and pressed the cover of my book
6 6

44 posts in this topic

I submitted my Daredevil #158 to the recent Frank Miller signing. When I got the book back I was surprised to see it came back a 7.5, but then I looked at it and was shocked to see the bottom right corner was folded up and pressed. The book was not in that condition when it was sent in for pressing, signing and grading. I have both photo and video evidence of the before and CGC just emailed me back saying it could have happened in transit and that graders base the grade on the book they receive. Totally understand that, but the book was pressed and signed before grading. Also, shipping damage wouldn't fold only the corner of the cover up, it would have bent the whole book. I think they are just trying to get out of responsibility. Thoughts?

Attached is the scan of the book I sent in and the book now in the case.

IMG_5923.JPG

IMG_5924.JPG

C4A0251B-F8E4-424F-86F9-03B1DEFAFB62.JPG

They are giving you the ole boiler plate answer..they could have at least done their homework and checked the grader notes before answering you ..CGC is doing a terrible job training their customer service people

but I would say the grade was correct, from the grader notes...you can even see the small crease in the bottom right corner in your pre picture...but unfortunately, it will have a large crease there now

Screen Shot 2023-06-29 at 7.52.17 PM.png

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 6/29/2023 at 6:55 PM, CGC Mike said:

Hi

I am very sorry that this happened to you.  Let me contact management and see what they have to say about this.

Mike

Thank you Mike, I appreciate it.

On 6/29/2023 at 7:54 PM, Ed Hanes said:

They are giving you the ole boiler plate answer..they could have at least done their homework and checked the grader notes before answering you ..CGC is doing a terrible job training their customer service people

but I would say the grade was correct, from the grader notes...you can even see the small crease in the bottom right corner in your pre picture...but unfortunately, it will have a large crease there now

Screen Shot 2023-06-29 at 7.52.17 PM.png

Yeah, a grade is a grade, my issue is the encapsulation has now put a very large crease in the cover. Not only is it visually bad to display, but the grade will have dropped as well.

On 6/29/2023 at 8:07 PM, Ryan Bates said:

Thank you Mike, I appreciate it.

Yeah, a grade is a grade, my issue is the encapsulation has now put a very large crease in the cover. Not only is it visually bad to display, but the grade will have dropped as well.

I guess there is still a chance the color didn't break and it can be pressed 

On 6/29/2023 at 8:10 PM, Ed Hanes said:

I guess there is still a chance the color didn't break and it can be pressed 

It's possible, but it shouldn't be on me to pay for a re-encapsulation and press...

On 6/29/2023 at 8:12 PM, Ryan Bates said:

It's possible, but it shouldn't be on me to pay for a re-encapsulation and press...

What value did you give the comic when you submitted it? Ask CGC to reimburse you that full value and the cost of pressing, grading and signature and submit a new comic for the next signing.

On 6/29/2023 at 8:34 PM, Black_Adam said:

What value did you give the comic when you submitted it? Ask CGC to reimburse you that full value and the cost of pressing, grading and signature and submit a new comic for the next signing.

That would be acceptable to me. You would think someone would have caught this during quality control though.

On 6/30/2023 at 11:16 AM, Ryan Bates said:
On 6/30/2023 at 12:26 AM, comicnoir said:

They encapsulated an upturned corner that large and let it go? Unbelievable. I'd be freaking.

I'm more freaking out that the customer service rep told me via email they couldn't do anything and it happened during shipping to them :jawdrop:

I had no idea that CGC was hiring clairvoyants to handle customer service.