• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Apprehensive about first grading (TMNT #1 first printing)
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm gonna sound like a nervous nellie, but I have a TMNT #1 first printing with signature(s) and a drawing by either Eastman or Laird.  It was pristine when I bought it back around 1991 and I've kept it sealed in plastic ever since.  I'm afraid to even take it out to inspect it, let alone send it via the mail (to get it graded).

It looks like I'm already too late this year for events in the Chicago area where CGC is attending.  I guess my question is, should I wait until I can find an event to meet with CGC in person?

On 7/3/2023 at 8:31 PM, Warduke said:

Hello, I'm gonna sound like a nervous nellie, but I have a TMNT #1 first printing with signature(s) and a drawing by either Eastman or Laird.

It very much depends on what you are wanting to do with it.

If you submit it to CGC for grading it will receive a green label for witnessed signatures/sketches or a blue label and a reduced grade for "writing on cover". In both instances CGC will not authenticate the signatures.

If this result is worth the cost to you, then by all means. If not then you have your answer.

If you want it slabbed and the signatures authenticated by beckett there are "alternatives"...

EDIT!

I completely forgot that TMNT is a magazine and treated differently than a comic, take everything I said with a grain of salt as I just read in another thread that the unwitnessed sig will be noted on the cover but not get a green label or by all appearances a grade hit. Someone with more familiarity should come along with a better explanation.

Edited by DougC
context

On 7/3/2023 at 7:31 PM, Warduke said:

Hello, I'm gonna sound like a nervous nellie, but I have a TMNT #1 first printing with signature(s) and a drawing by either Eastman or Laird.  It was pristine when I bought it back around 1991 and I've kept it sealed in plastic ever since.  I'm afraid to even take it out to inspect it, let alone send it via the mail (to get it graded).

It looks like I'm already too late this year for events in the Chicago area where CGC is attending.  I guess my question is, should I wait until I can find an event to meet with CGC in person?

If you decide not to get it graded, I'd at least suggest getting a Mylar and a couple new boards (use 2 or more to add stiffness to the bag) and at least change them out. Wash your hands first, dry them off (and if you're really nervous, get a few Artist Gloves from your local Michaels so you don't get any fingerprints on the cover) and take a look at the book out of the bag. Not sure if you have a 1st printing or if you can't remember - but it's worth doing an inspection, especially since grading standards have changed quite a bit since 1991 (I was reeeeeally overgrading in 1991 compared to now). Take some photos so in the future should you decide to sell, you don't have to re-handle the book to take pictures.

If you don't want to drag it to a convention - mailing away a sentimental or expensive book to CGC is hard the first time. All I can say is to pack it well, and if you're really worried - just send it Express so it's there quicker.