• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First World Problems: My Subs Just Got Graded, Lower Than Expected and Value Since Cratered
1 1

61 posts in this topic

On 7/9/2023 at 7:03 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Lol realism I love it, as I cart around and try to empathize with the elderly at the moment too, and hoping I'm that blessed with a long life with my needs met!

Yes small potatoes for now, but I'd look into it while it's free, and yet, maybe they'll offer some cgc credit as well.

It is one of those things that people turn their head at the moment, as it is abundant, but unless you're off loading it soon go with some kind of fix. Idk it would set my mind at ease if it were mine, but then I have similar I haven't fixed cause it wasn't free either :goodvsevil: for me not being the submitter.

I feel you, its like hoping for it not be this hard from now on, and idk if we were spoiled from cgc to begin with haha

I'll probably not send it in, I just don't want to deal with the hassle - as long as there isn't anything else wrong with the other slabs. From what I can tell is that the label was miscut (you can see the excess white on the RH side of the label) so when it went through their label printer, it appears off center since this label (and who knows how many others) weren't trimmed correctly. If it bugs me when I put it on the wall, I may do something, but I'll wait and see.

Could be worse, the label could say Ren and Stimpy #1

On 7/9/2023 at 8:46 PM, Kramerica said:

The Summer of George will not let something like this keep them down.

Thanks! Hope it was encouraging, as I was excited to give you a reminder of the summer of George and all it's possibilities!

So much so, that in the excitement I didn't realize it said "summer of gaming!"  :roflmao:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 7/8/2023 at 7:39 PM, Dr. Balls said:

The main one that is surprising is my X-Men 49, which I bought as an 8.5 and is really, really nice. The grader's notes call out:

light corner creases left bottom of back cover
light corner creases left top of back cover

And I can't really see them in the scans, and I don't remember how significant they were - but the lower staple stress on the FC is what I felt was the major factor in the 8.5 grade. Coming back as a 7.5 was a surprise for sure and the grader's notes not calling out the staple stress:

X-Men049CGCFRONT.thumb.jpg.d9923632454b1be7841e96b7f3030c60.jpg

Maybe it's just another typo blunder on their part as I can clearly see the creases on the bottom left of the FRONT cover, but nothing on the back cover from the scan at least.  (shrug)

On 7/9/2023 at 12:02 PM, Kramerica said:

I had a book come back what I thought but the price has since cratered from the $2700 I paid for it to $700. Glad I like the book!

What book would that be that has dropped from $2,700 all the way down to only $700. assuming it's not a Promise Collection book?  hm  :tonofbricks:

On 7/10/2023 at 12:01 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:
On 7/9/2023 at 11:04 PM, lou_fine said:

What book would that be that has dropped from $2,700 all the way down to only $700. assuming it's not a Promise Collection book?  hm  :tonofbricks:

Every comic book I own. :frown:

Well, since you joined the boards here in '07 and probably been collecting much longer than that, probably most of your books were brought at much lower than the $700 price point and you are still way ahead. :bigsmile:

On 7/9/2023 at 11:04 PM, lou_fine said:

I'm going to guess Eternals.

On 7/10/2023 at 3:02 PM, Tnexus said:

I'm going to guess Eternals.

I own perhaps 20 raw copies of Eternals 1 and when I retire I'll submit the worthy ones to CGC for grading and, if I sell them, I'll hopefully lose no more than $20 on each copy. lol

On 7/8/2023 at 10:39 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I got them from well-established sellers here, and I agreed with their grades when I got them - I also have photos of my subs before I sent them in, so we’ll see what’s up when they arrive!

I've been looking over the CGC scans this morning and comparing, and some of the issues they've called out in the graders notes I can see, but some I can't because I have to see them at an angle. I don't think my books had been damaged or anything, I just think the grading is suuuuuuuuuper tight.

The main one that is surprising is my X-Men 49, which I bought as an 8.5 and is really, really nice. The grader's notes call out:

light corner creases left bottom of back cover
light corner creases left top of back cover

And I can't really see them in the scans, and I don't remember how significant they were - but the lower staple stress on the FC is what I felt was the major factor in the 8.5 grade. Coming back as a 7.5 was a surprise for sure and the grader's notes not calling out the staple stress:

X-Men049CGCFRONT.thumb.jpg.d9923632454b1be7841e96b7f3030c60.jpgX-Men049CGCBACK.thumb.jpg.7a1acfb2a8b5ff88fbd6eec21a4475ed.jpg

Original scan of the FC:

X-Men49Front.thumb.jpg.31b7027d6cf6a3539a9a0a0544b25858.jpg

I don't think CGC is guilty of doing anything other than picking pepper out of gnat shart on grading. I buy the book, not the grade - it’s really a gorgeous book, I’m not terribly bent about it.

There is no way that is a 7.5 

I blew the back scans up as big as possible and while you can't see EVERYTHING there isn't even a hint of it.  Crack and reslab?

On 7/11/2023 at 5:58 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Screenshot_20230710-145653.png

Screenshot_20230710-145718.png

Great pick-up mate

@Dr. Balls - Mike should get onto this as it looks as if the damage occurred after you sent it in.

On 7/10/2023 at 4:28 PM, Beige said:

Great pick-up mate

@Dr. Balls - Mike should get onto this as it looks as if the damage occurred after you sent it in.

The first thing my wife - who isn't into comics - said regarding the label was: "Is that going to affect the resale?"

So, if my wife thinks it's an issue, it's probably going to be an issue, so I guess my question is to @CGC Mike : is the label misalignment something I can send back in, and compounded with the grader's notes not really matching the submission, how does that work with sending it in? Or if I disagree with the notes, I have to resubmit it?

On 7/10/2023 at 5:28 PM, Beige said:

Great pick-up mate

Lol those are screenshots of me zoomed in on phone @Dr. Balls

Then if you zoom in on those. :insane:

Idk don't mean to. :ohnoez:

But better to mention it Im thinking 🤔

• Administrator
On 7/10/2023 at 6:54 PM, Dr. Balls said:

So, if my wife thinks it's an issue, it's probably going to be an issue, so I guess my question is to @CGC Mike : is the label misalignment something I can send back in, and compounded with the grader's notes not really matching the submission, how does that work with sending it in? Or if I disagree with the notes, I have to resubmit it?

You have 14 days to submit this as a mechanical error (wrong label info)  Write approved by CGC Mike on the packing slip.  Also write a short description of the problem as well.  I would do the form ASAP.  A prepaid shipping label will be sent to you through our website.  (not by e-mail)  If it won't allow you to complete the form, let me know and I will see about getting you a shipping label.  When it ships, send me the tracking number.

• Administrator
On 7/10/2023 at 6:54 PM, Dr. Balls said:

s the label misalignment something I can send back in, and compounded with the grader's notes not really matching the submission, how does that work with sending it in? Or if I disagree with the notes, I have to resubmit it?

To be clear, the mechanical error is only for fixing the label.  If you disagree with the grade/and or notes, you would have to resubmit.

On 7/10/2023 at 6:43 PM, CGC Mike said:

To be clear, the mechanical error is only for fixing the label.  If you disagree with the grade/and or notes, you would have to resubmit.

Ok, thanks Mike! I’ll work on this tonight!

On 7/10/2023 at 7:54 PM, lizards2 said:

I don't want to overturn anyone's CGC bashing parade, but the damage pictured is all there, just differences in what the two scanners pick up. One highlights the damage, and one diminishes it. 2c

For once, I would have to agree with you :p

On 7/10/2023 at 7:57 PM, greggy said:
On 7/10/2023 at 7:54 PM, lizards2 said:

I don't want to overturn anyone's CGC bashing parade, but the damage pictured is all there, just differences in what the two scanners pick up. One highlights the damage, and one diminishes it. 2c

For once, I would have to agree with you :p

Come on big guy - it is more than once. :eyeroll: