• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First World Problems: My Subs Just Got Graded, Lower Than Expected and Value Since Cratered
1 1

61 posts in this topic

On 7/10/2023 at 9:54 PM, lizards2 said:

I don't want to overturn anyone's CGC bashing parade, but the damage pictured is all there, just differences in what the two scanners pick up. One highlights the damage, and one diminishes it. 2c

Tbh that was what I thought, or might have implied, as I wasn't bold enough. Just thought I'd post the pics since no one saw the damage. I considered that I not seeing it in hand before  it was sent off to cgc, so @Dr. Balls would know better.

@CGC Mike didn't see it crossed off the list yet and did due diligence. I just didn't want to blame the scans for not showing it in the raw, as I don't think anything nefarious was done, but I didn't have it in hand, glad you spoke up with some knowledge @lizards2and @greggy

Cause idk and couldn't and didn't WANT to accuse falsely, but it looks correctly graded, the label, imo, should still warrant a second look, and while its there maybe inquire?

On 7/10/2023 at 8:04 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Tbh that was what I thought, or might have implied, as I wasn't bold enough. Just thought I'd post the pics since no one saw the damage. I considered that I not seeing it in hand before  it was sent off to cgc, so @Dr. Balls would know better.

@CGC Mike didn't see it crossed off the list yet and did due diligence. I just didn't want to blame the scans for not showing it in the raw, as I don't think anything nefarious was done, but I didn't have it in hand, glad you spoke up with some knowledge @lizards2and @greggy

Cause idk and couldn't and didn't WANT to accuse falsely, but it looks correctly graded, the label, imo, should still warrant a second look, and while its there maybe inquire?

I have no opinion on the final grade without the raw book in hand. The CGC slab and inner well will hide most of the flaws...., if they exist.

That's from someone who has cracked out 300-400 slabs. 2c and if you care.

The slab picture is in a more natural light and shows the bend and creases in the fray.

The scanner just picks up a little break in color, but it IS enough to tell it is the same book and in the same spot! So nothing nefarious, just one is visible.

The spine corners are frayed, a bend in the book with at least one heavy tick crease, with other smaller ticks in that area. A 7.5 all day long with that serious a bend breaking color resulting in a crease, so to speak.

I thought maybe it was to press to 8.5? But those corners no, and doesn't appear that it was pressed at all. Maybe handling in that precarious spot of the "bend crease" wasn't good for it, but again I wouldn't blame it on CGC...

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 7/10/2023 at 8:10 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

The slab picture is in a more natural light and shows the bend and creases in the fray.

The scanner just picks up a little break in color, but it IS enough to tell it is the same book and in the same spot! So nothing nefarious, just one is visible.

The spine corners are frayed, a bend in the book with at least on heavy tick crease, with other smaller ticks in that area 7.5 all day long with that serious a bend breaking color resulting in a crease, so to speak.

I thought maybe it was to press to 8.5? But those corners no, and doesn't appear that it was pressed at all. Maybe handling in that precarious spot of the "bend crease" wasn't good for it, but again I wouldn't blame it on CGC...

I said the in-slab scan "highlights" the damage, which may mean it accentuates the actual damage.

You cannot make judgements about the actual flaws without the raw book in hand.

On 7/10/2023 at 10:12 PM, lizards2 said:

I said the in-slab scan "highlights" the damage, which may mean it accentuates the actual damage.

Ya I just wanted to clarify, that my post wasn't on the side of blame or cgc fault, the rest is circumstantial that would be my opinion if it were my book. If i had it in hand I would know, but ballsy had it in hand and the results of "that situation He know.s" Pervert? :jokealert:

But when the post came from cgc Mike after mine, I didn't want to insinuate any "blame". Imo it looks correctly graded even if I'm not eloquent to convince others. :cheers:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 7/10/2023 at 10:12 PM, lizards2 said:

That and I was already typing before you posted your last response lol

Which is why I didn't quote you, it wasn't in response to you lol but since you quoted then I did

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 7/10/2023 at 10:17 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:
Spoiler

Ya I just wanted to clarify, that my post wasn't on the side of blame or or cgc fault, the rest is circumstantial that would be my opinion if it were my book. If i had it in hand I wouod know, but ballsy had it in hand and the results of "that situation He know.s" Pervert? :jokealert:

But when the post came from cgc Mike after mine, I didn't want to insinuate any "blame". Imo it looks correctly graded even if I'm not eloquent to convince others. :cheers:

Lol this is why I only posted pics, I should have left it at that. :cheers:

Lol no worries 

On 7/10/2023 at 10:54 PM, lizards2 said:

I don't want to overturn anyone's CGC bashing parade, but the damage pictured is all there, just differences in what the two scanners pick up. One highlights the damage, and one diminishes it. 2c

You just ruined my day. :shiftyeyes:

On 7/10/2023 at 8:54 PM, lizards2 said:

I feel that way as well. I am curious to why they called out back cover creasing, but no mention of the lower staple stress - but not curious enough to resubmit. I’m going to send it back when it arrives to get the label fixed and that’ll be that!

On 7/10/2023 at 12:02 PM, Tnexus said:
On 7/9/2023 at 11:04 PM, lou_fine said:

What book would that be that has dropped from $2,700 all the way down to only $700. assuming it's not a Promise Collection book?  hm  :tonofbricks:

I'm going to guess Eternals.

Well, if it's indeed Eternals 1 and you can still sell it for $700, you should still be rolling in dough if you are a longer term collector (as opposed to a shorter term speculator) with multiple copies since it was a common as dirt book sitting in the 50 cents drek box for its first 40 odd years of existence.  :banana:  :whee:

On 7/11/2023 at 6:14 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I feel that way as well. I am curious to why they called out back cover creasing, but no mention of the lower staple stress - but not curious enough to resubmit. I’m going to send it back when it arrives to get the label fixed and that’ll be that!

From my submissions of the last couple years, the graders' notes seem -- if not literally 'random' -- then pretty much as close to random as you can get. They don't identify all of the flaws, or even the key flaws necessarily -- they are just remarks, sometimes enlightening, sometimes not at all. Which is aggravating (right there with you) if you get back a bunch of slabs that are a grade or two lower than anticipated, and you're trying to figure out whether you missed something important.

On 7/10/2023 at 12:51 PM, SkOw said:

There is no way that is a 7.5 

I blew the back scans up as big as possible and while you can't see EVERYTHING there isn't even a hint of it.  Crack and reslab?

I sent in a #49 that was really nice as well - a little bit below this - and it received a 7.0 when I bought it as a 8.0 raw. I think they hate X-Men #49. 

On 7/11/2023 at 4:41 PM, Dr. Balls said:

This was cool - these just showed up today and when I unboxed it, my X-Men label looked like this:

IMG_4467.thumb.JPG.946f2601e5fe1b8091acd505fd90a72c.JPG

So Quality Control must have caught the label and fixed it before sending out - to which, I say, Kudos to CGC. Someone did GAF, and I am grateful I don't have to send it back in. @CGC Mike 

And as for the book, yeah - now that I see it in the slab, it's closer to a 7.5 than it is an 8.5. Happens to the best of us.:blush:

beer-goggles-simpsons.gif.4edaec560449067006e523696ce0e0b9.gif

:jawdrop:

lol

Tbh it hit me the other day that is why they started doing scans for every regular comic, which this is proof of the pudding, for quality control. 

I'm not sure if they're scanning magazine slabs, or none of mine last month had them, :cheers:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

• Administrator
On 7/11/2023 at 5:41 PM, Dr. Balls said:

So Quality Control must have caught the label and fixed it before sending out - to which, I say, Kudos to CGC. Someone did GAF, and I am grateful I don't have to send it back in. @CGC Mike 

Glad to hear you received it with a fixed label.  :smile:

On 7/11/2023 at 7:27 PM, CGC Mike said:

Glad to hear you received it with a fixed label.  :smile:

Just for my own benefit since the CGC scan shows it crooked, does that entail a fix to that scan? Or not something to worry about?

Surely not from a selling or market stand point, but may be worth bringing up? Cause of the brand publicly and etc? Idk just curious if any thoughts on the matter. :shy:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

• Administrator
On 7/11/2023 at 8:42 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Just for my own benefit since the CGC scan shows it crooked, does that entail a fix to that scan? Or not something to worry about?

I think something like the changed label after scanning happens very rarely, and is not a huge concern at this time.  I believe fixing it will require that the book be returned to us.  I don't see that happening just for the scan.