• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How long to wait before asking about CGC receiving my books.
2 2

18 posts in this topic

Hey folks

I know it takes some time for CGC to process books they’ve received, but I’ve had an order at they’re facility for over 2 weeks now.  

However, it still isn’t showing up in their system but USPS confirmed delivery.  When should I start reaching out?

I have noticed a sudden slowdown in processing, so you are not alone. For quite a while things were zipping along. Subs hit the dashboard 2 days after arrival, graded and shipped sometimes as low as 9 days. I see the brakes being applied hard now. Maybe more subs from conventions and private signings.

If you inquire, they will just tell you that your books are in the queue. I'd wait 2 more weeks. It should make it through the line by then.

On 7/6/2023 at 4:19 PM, Lightning55 said:

I have noticed a sudden slowdown in processing, so you are not alone. For quite a while things were zipping along. Subs hit the dashboard 2 days after arrival, graded and shipped sometimes as low as 9 days. I see the brakes being applied hard now. Maybe more subs from conventions and private signings.

staff reductions?

This makes me feel better also!  Shipped in my first books ever and had no idea what to expect... I have been just hoping that i didn't do anything wrong.  Thanks for asking the question and for the answers!

You're not alone. That time between the USPS tracking status showing as delivered and it finally showing up under the received status in cgc can seem like an eternity especially when it's a high value comic or of very sentimental value. But during certain times of the year it can take longer than others.

Keep in mind that CGC doesn't start entering comics into their system the day they receive the packages in the mail. They may not even start opening your boxes until up to 2+ weeks after receiving them depending on the tier of service.  It's why they ask you to mark the boxes for the higher tier of service so they know which ones to prioritize. Low tier moderns will be at the back of the line. High tier, I would check weekly.

However, during con season the normal gap between delivered and cgc received status stretches. It's when their staff is stretched thin and they're bringing in high volumes of con submissions from all the back to back weekends of conventions. I usually check after a week and a half of its delivery and set reminders for myself weekly. 

I think the sweet spot for sending books to cgc is late winter to early spring Jan-March. 

In case anyone is curious about the pace of CGC this summer (July-August 2023), here is a final breakdown of the process for my 25 book Modern Prescreen submission (no press).

- Sent July 7th.

- Arrived in the CGC Mail Room (via Tracking) July 10th. (3 days)

- Scanned as received by CGC July 18th. (8 days)

- Moved to Prescreen/Grading/Encapsulation/Imaging July 28th. (10 days)

- Moved to Shipped August 1st. (4 days)

- Expected arrival date by August 8th. (7 days)

Basically, about 1 month from the time it left my house to the time it should end up on my porch.

Not bad!