• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Feedback Dilemma!?

20 posts in this topic

What is the opinion of this board when it comes to leaving + feedback from (Buyers & Sellers). Who should respond first during the transcation. I feel it's the seller once the payment was made because they: (buyer) has fullfill their part of the deal by electronic billing such as Paypal,Billpoint,Bidpay...etc,etc.

At times the Seller would send the + feedback immediatly after the notification of that transaction by e-mail from the credit card company. But some Sellers would hold you of your feedback until the item is mailed to you and you respond back to them if everything went well. I believe that they leave you accountable for everything even though you did your part of the bargain??

Their is no right protocal as to who should respond first but I feel that a paying customer should have the right of way...so to speak.... frown.gif

There is no set protocol. Everyone seems to do what they feel is necessary. Many buyers/sellers don't bother to leave feedback at all.

But when selling I leave feedback most of the time right after the item is mailed out.

When buying I leave feedback when it arrives and I am satisfied with the condition of the goods received.

If the other party leaves me feedback, that's great, but I don't believe in holding feedback "hostage" or that we should proceed in any particular order.

Kev

I leave feedback to my buyers when I ship the book. I don't really care when they leave feedback to me.

When I'm buying something, I leave feedback when I get the item. Again, I don't really care when they leave feedback to me.

We've been through this a million times and there is no answer. Every buyer and seller has the right to leave feedback in the way he/she chooses. Early, late, not at all, it's a free country.

As a seller I leave feedback after the buyer leaves feedback for me unless they are a repeat customer or person I trust (board member). I've had paypal take funds out of my PP account after I mailed the package out due to possible fraud use, so I no longer leave + feedback after payment is made by the buyer. It's just a precaution to protect myself.

As a buyer I leave feedback once I receive the item.

We've been through this a million times and there is no answer.

Right on....we've hashed this out -see if you can pull up a search for a previous feedback thread. Some folks really care about feedback and think getting a negative is the end of the world. After selling and buying on eBay for a while now, it's all about building up your reputation so that you are a recognized and respected presence on there. Don't obsess over who leaves feedback first....just do your part. If you are the buyer, leave feedback when you receive the item from the seller. If you are the seller, just leave feedback once the funds are in your account. If ou are a seller with a "no questions asked" return policy, you can wait until the buyer gets book and is satisfied before leaving feedback, or don't wait at all...it is up to you. If you feel that someone has not left you the proper feedback ( a neg when you thought you deserved a positive...) just respind to their feedback comment. Nothing else you can do. If it is retaliatory, vulgar or divulges your personal info, then petition eBay to remove it on those grounds.

Here's my protocol:

As a seller, once the item has been paid for (in a timely manner), I check their feedback amount and compare to the feedback they have given. If the numbers align closely enough, then bada-bing! If it's waaay off

-ex: received 100...given 9- then I send an email basically saying "looking forward to exchanging feedback." Then if they pos me, I automatically reciprocate.

As a buyer, I believe that since I have taken action first (sending the $$$), I should be the first to receive the feed. If the seller doesn't give, he don't get. unless I'm unhappy with the transaction

I've found this way to be best. Yes It's time consuming, but it is the fairest.

Rick

I appreicated all of your response to my quiery, everyone has the opinion either way depending which P.O.V. you have. I can only speak for myself and say that a good business code that the CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT whether that be a Sellers' P.O.V. or Buyers'. To have a good relationship with a repeat customer, hoping that they are honest and all. smirk.gifcool.gif

I'll tell you what I wrote in the previous thread:

I'm looking for quality comics at fair prices, and if I find a seller like that, the last thing I'm worried about it something as inconsequential as when he/she left feedback.

Anyone who does, fails to see the big picture.

I agree that the customer is always right. I expect it when I am the customer, so I provide it when I am the seller. I want buyers to trust my reputation, and feel confident that this will be a pleasant transaction. I will eat the deal if the customer isn't happy. Many people will complain about PayPal chargebacks and other negative experiences, but 9 times out of 10, it's because they were too stubborn to let the customer be right.

Let's get realistic. If you're a buyer, you don't really have to worry too much about your feedback rating. So what if you have X negatives? Your money's good, don't worry! Rare is the seller who will actually refuse to complete a transaction because you have only 91% pos. feedback.

If you're a seller, and you post pos. feedback for someone you've not dealt with in the past, *before* they've posted pos. feedback upon receipt of item, you're either very trusting, an eternal optimist, or not getting it. I've seen plenty of negs left by buyers after the seller has posted positive feedback ("prompt payment! Good buyer!")...

If you don't know the buyer or have any reason to believe they may neg you, then hold off on their feedback 'til they've posted yours.

It's one thing to regard the customer as "Always Right." It's another thing entirely to regard all customers, the majority of which don't know you from Adam (and vice versa), as "always in their right minds."

Garthgantu

If you're a seller, and you post pos. feedback for someone you've not dealt with in the past, *before* they've posted pos. feedback upon receipt of item, you're either very trusting, an eternal optimist, or not getting it

Or I just don't care about feedback in the grand scheme of things...you can ALWAYS reply /comment after the feedback is left...

I post feedback once paid to 1) get it out of the way 2) track what I have to ship out and 3)let buyer know that money has been received and I'm shipping out next day

>>So what your saying is the feedback is inconsequential to the actual purchase of the comicbook or whatever your selling at the time as well as buying?? Yes ...No??

Of course, I mostly buy, and if I get what I paid for, then who cares about feedback? I'd rather find a reputable seller of nice books who doesn't leave feedback, than some [!@#%^&^]-dealer who lays down effusive feedback minutes after the Paypal payment.

It's all about where you place importance, and to me it's always been, and will continue to be, about the goods bought or sold.

I think that sellers, and even buyers, of slabbed books view this issue a lot differently than the "average" comic book buyer or seller. If you sell only slabbed books, I guess feedback rating isn't as critical, because for a lot of buyers of unslabbed books, a seller's feedback rating is in part a gauge of the seller's ability to grade accurately.

In general, sellers of unslabbed books seem to guard their fb ratings pretty rabidly, because it can directly affect whether buyers bid, how much they bid, etc.

To joe_collector's point, "It's all about where you place importance, and to me it's always been, and will continue to be, about the goods bought or sold. "

I agree wholeheartedly. What's frustrating is the number of buyers who seem to just accept bad grading, shipping, etc. from sellers. Again, this applies much more to non-slabbed books.

To DarthDiesel's point, "Or I just don't care about feedback in the grand scheme of things...you can ALWAYS reply /comment after the feedback is left..."

...That must be a nice position to be in. I personally tend to carefully peruse the most recent 1-3 pages of a sellers feedback before bidding, unless I know the seller from previous transactions. In my case, I'd see your 'rebuttals' to neg feedback, and might accept your side of the story. But there are a lot of buyers who probably don't look past the "94.5% pos. feedback" note on the item page, and just move on thinking, "yikes."

Again, if everything you sell is slabbed, it's probably less of an issue.

Garthgantu

Again, if everything you sell is slabbed, it's probably less of an issue.

Another way of looking at it, though, is if everything you sell is slabbed, and grading is not an issue, what will the neg feedback be about? Probably about very undesireable things like bad packaging, long shipping delays, books never sent etc. etc. These can be more hellish than a misgrade!

You are absolutely right about your expressed concerns about feedback. I agree with the cases you presented. My comments were more to convey that some folks OBSESS over feedback and fail to realize that this bidding on eBay is really an exercise in finding someone you can deal with confidently in the future.

I'd rather find a reputable seller of nice books who doesn't leave feedback, than some [!@#%^&^]-dealer who lays down effusive feedback minutes after the Paypal payment.

But isn't that the reason to have a feedback system at E-bay so that you see his history of transactions ( GOOD OR BAD ). Or, you go on blind faith that this "Seller" your dealing with is on the mark with the final transaction. smirk.gifconfused.gif

You seem to have a black and white outlook to things. I never said that I don't leave or receive feedback, but that I don't OBSESS about it and start threads on the subject.

I look at the BIG PICTURE, and if I get a well-graded comic and the guy is a bit late with the feedback (or doesn't leave it at all) it means about 2 dead flies. I got the comic I purchased, and in my book, that seller is Gold.

You just keep on worrying about feedback and when buyers or sellers leave it, and I'll spend my time buying the quality books.