• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who sniffs comic books?
1 1

39 posts in this topic

There is nothing quite like sniffing a Church book. In the 40+ years that I have owned a lot of mine, the scent has slightly disappeared but still there.

Dells seem to have a unique aroma. I remember driving home with an open box full from a flea market on the front seat. The scent just permeated my car. We used to laugh that “You can tell by the smell it’s a Dell”…

My wife looooooooves the smell of fresh printing. Digital press stuff does not smell like traditional ink, though - so she doesn't always get her fix when she sniffs books.

On 7/14/2023 at 1:34 PM, F For Fake said:

Nothing finer than walking into a comic shop that's filled with the smell of newsprint! Doesn't happen as often as it used to, since they started printing comics on the shiny/slick paper, and they just smell acrid. It's said. But a store full of old comics and books, nothing better.

I'd recommend the paper stock used in Russ Cochran's EC Library hardcovers.  Pure class.

On 7/14/2023 at 2:12 PM, batman_fan said:

The real question is who DOESN’T sniff comics

I was going to say me, but if you’re anywhere in the vicinity of newsprint there’s always significant passive inhalation.

Edited by Ken Aldred

The underlying notion in this thread that niavely suggests  that the smell of an old comic cannot be faked is exactly that - niave. One could simply take an old comic book or old newsprint, or a pile of them and seal them together with whatever they want to also hold that odor. After even a few hours, that smell will follow whatever was sealed up with it.

On 7/14/2023 at 9:38 AM, Kal-El said:

My wife, who is not a collector and cannot understand why a book would need to be encased in a plastic case, loves the smell of old comics. God bless her.

A few years ago at the Baltimore Comic Con, I was looking at some books from Tomorrow's Treasures / Richie Munchin and asked about taking them out of the bag. When I did and was counting pages and checking for cutouts, my daughter smiled and said, "I love that old comic smell." Couldn't have been prouder. lol

On 7/13/2023 at 8:56 PM, lizards2 said:

Or sinus-clearing mothballs...., 

On 7/13/2023 at 9:00 PM, shadroch said:

I don't sniff them, but if I smell mothballs or mildew, I will pass on a book unless it is ridiculously cheap.

I would most definitely NOT pass on ones with the signature Edgar Church mothballs smell that some long time experienced collectors can apparently detect.  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/25/2023 at 9:15 PM, HarlenStenby said:

The underlying notion in this thread that niavely suggests  that the smell of an old comic cannot be faked is exactly that - niave. One could simply take an old comic book or old newsprint, or a pile of them and seal them together with whatever they want to also hold that odor. After even a few hours, that smell will follow whatever was sealed up with it.

But only the real thing will still smell like it after 30 years. Fakes would soon revert. But I'm glad it's got you thinking about it.

Edited by LowGradeBronze

Haha, yes I unashamedly do. 
in fact I’ve took it to an extreme and every time I open an old book, me and my 7 year old boy both sniff it at the same time, before saying in unison..

”I get high of that s**t”

weird but fun !!