• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats your top 3 all time favourite books under 5$?
3 3

39 posts in this topic

What's the 3 books under a value of 5 dollars you will keep on your hearts forever?? You can does 2 differents top, 1 for your favourite covers and another for your favourite story! Or just a simple top 3 and explain why these books is so important for you, maybe an emotional part?

I just thought about that at the second so i will wait before take my personal decision, its a really hard question lol

On 7/14/2023 at 7:29 PM, valiantman said:

rai0_250.jpg.b9c0b214fc793889338301c44a997dd6.jpgarcher0_250.jpg.eeeb157b53865626d4ff113fe3e5b975.jpgspiderman13_250.jpg.827ab667ba60a02f2e55836f748062bb.jpg

Lots of books that I buy every time I see them, but the "under $5" requirement puts these 3 in mind first.

Rai #0 - probably the best single Valiant book published and it was on the stand the day I discovered Valiant in 1992.

Archer & Armstrong #0 - art by Barry Windsor-Smith and printed just before the Unity crossover made pre-Unity Valiant a big deal.

Spider-Man #13 - classic pose which has been copied many times since, this is an homage to Spider-Man #1, but done with the black suit. Hard to resist.

This spiderman seems to be a good way to steal money to a fool. :roflmao:

On 7/14/2023 at 2:08 PM, BA773 said:
On 7/14/2023 at 12:29 PM, valiantman said:

rai0_250.jpg.b9c0b214fc793889338301c44a997dd6.jpgarcher0_250.jpg.eeeb157b53865626d4ff113fe3e5b975.jpgspiderman13_250.jpg.827ab667ba60a02f2e55836f748062bb.jpg

Lots of books that I buy every time I see them, but the "under $5" requirement puts these 3 in mind first.

Rai #0 - probably the best single Valiant book published and it was on the stand the day I discovered Valiant in 1992.

Archer & Armstrong #0 - art by Barry Windsor-Smith and printed just before the Unity crossover made pre-Unity Valiant a big deal.

Spider-Man #13 - classic pose which has been copied many times since, this is an homage to Spider-Man #1, but done with the black suit. Hard to resist.

Expand  

This spiderman seems to be a good way to steal money to a fool. :roflmao:

Under $5, I'd say everyone involved would probably be OK.

On 7/14/2023 at 1:29 PM, valiantman said:

Archer & Armstrong #0 - art by Barry Windsor-Smith, first appearances, and printed just before the Unity crossover made pre-Unity Valiant a big deal.

Rai #0 would probably go on a list of my all-time top ten favorite comics from any publisher, although I haven't read it in a few years now, so maybe that would change.  (shrug)  I haven't seen one for under $5 in years, though.

Interesting topic, as speculation and inflation has significantly reduced the pool of likely candidates. Quite a few of the books I’d considered are now out of this budget, bargain bin price range.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Piggy backing off posts, none of them are my favorites , but most New X-Men "keys" can be had for under $5 in the bins.

That might be a nice thread to start "worthy books < $$ to pick up", but that mostly has to do with bin diving that is attracted to or hinted at in the "adventures in the dollar bin" thread in the modern section.

So I'm rambling, but to the point, good "garage sale antique" thread in comics general is a good place to start. Doesn't always have to be silver age given away lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

JSA Classified 17 and 18. A terrific 2 part story where the Rex Tyler and Rick Tyler Hourman (Hourmen?) take on Bane. Terrific story, decent art. One I come back to at least once a year, it's just that fun. JSA_Classified_Vol_1_17.jpg.8785841c27412b597816a2868f7a768f.jpgJSA_Classified_Vol_1_18.jpg.b37bcedcd3a63687b2d9a5e0162e01be.jpg

For my third pick I'm going to go for something a bit weird, the first part of a 6 (technically 6 1/2) part storyline. Dreamwave Transformers Generation 1 volume 3 issue 1. It's such a strong opening, with the Combiner Bruticus under the command of Starscream having destroyed a small band of remaining Earth Autobots, leaving rescue up to two unlikely compadres; Brawn and Ratchet, a pair of Autobots we definitely don't usually see together. Not only that, but their own base is set to kill them upon entry, so things go from bad to worse. It's got wit, it's got charisma, it's got character, after a long time it felt like a Transformers comic again, and it was heavenly and I can't detach those initial feelings from this book. It ends with the introduction of the arc's main threat, Sunstorm, as an Autobot Shuttle approaches Earth, unaware that anything has gone wrong. All the elements of a strong story are presented in these 22 pages, and they're done expertly. The art by Don Figueroa is a thing of beauty. This man was born to draw Transformers. Alas, it's unlikely we'll ever see him do it again, but we've still got an epic body of work to refer back to and idolise. 

G1_Vol.3_Issue1_2.jpg.14da52ceb83aa730d0d1b8073829fac2.jpg

Edited by Cat

A lot of mad magazines can be found near me, if I just want to read an under $5 book. I mean older than 1980 as well. None of them are favorites, but I enjoy the title. So pick one for #1)

#2) Spawn #1 or #3 ) Spawn #9 plenty of them out there  

:cheers:

On 7/14/2023 at 4:47 PM, Gonzimodo said:

Hitman (1996) 34 It's almost impossible to narrow all my options down to a third choice, but I wanted to get some Ennis love here, and Hitman is one of my favorite series.  This is the fancy, high-brow, Eisner Award winning issue, so I'll just put it here. (thumbsu

I love that issue.

I'll also recommend the Dangerous Habits storyline in Hellblazer (also by Ennis). The tpb might be a little more than $5, but certainly can be had for less than $10.

On 7/14/2023 at 5:41 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Ranked best to last:

A1V0gOm+KWL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

LOBOPARAMILITARYCHRISTMASSPECIAL.jpg?v=1

Daredevil-229-000.jpg?resize=660,1001&ss

You're right on the wolverine. I remember as a kid picking up that and X-Men #25 pretty close apart, and I was thinking the covers didn't represent the end story inside to my liking. I was staring at the cover going which is parts one lol

Edit to say both were on the stands, but idk how to look up the indicia as a kid haha

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 7/14/2023 at 4:52 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

You're right on the wolverine. I remember as a kid picking up that and X-Men #25 pretty close apart, and I was thinking the covers didn't represent the end story inside to my liking. I was staring at the cover going which is parts one lol

I'll admit I got a little misty-eyed when I read this issue the first time. Really good Wolverine story, some very poignant scenes in it that transcend the typical comic book writing of the era.

On 7/14/2023 at 5:55 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I'll admit I got a little misty-eyed when I read this issue the first time. Really good Wolverine story, some very poignant scenes in it that transcend the typical comic book writing of the era.

Especially when one was a cliffhanger to survival, but then all the newsstands were fairly empty, or at least AFAIK as kid to the grocery store. By the time the issues showed up again Magneto had his mind wiped and was a vegetable, talk about :jawdrop:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM