• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any recommendation for comic book shops in Alberta/Banff area?

13 posts in this topic

I know it's probably too much to hope for, but I think I will be visiting that area in August and was wondering if there are any good comic shops to visit? I plan to fly into Calgary, drive to Banff, Canmore, and Jasper and mostly stay in those areas. Mostly looking for Golden Age but I dabble in other eras, too.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Nothing in Banff or Jasper.  There are a fair number of lcs in Calgary and Edmonton although most don’t have a good selection of GA. I did hear that the coin comic collectible store in West Edmonton Mall bought a GA collection but I haven’t gone to look at it yet.

I would forget about GA in that area, and enjoy your hiking vacation. World class hiking and scenic pics to be taken also in Yoho National Park (in shape: do Lake Oesa else simpler Lake O'Hara, Emerald Lake circuit) but that is on the BC side of the AB border. Even the simple warm up hikes like Parker Ridge on your way north to Jasper from Banff are satisfying. Recommended hikes:

Lake Louise and Moraine Lake:

Plain of 6 Glaciers, Larch Valley. If u are in good shape: Big Beehive else small Beehive circuit hike to lunch at the tea shop. If u have most of the day: Sentinel Pass and Larch Valley.

Banff area:

Edith Pass circuit. Easy hikes: Sunshine Meadows, Johnston Canyon to the Inkpots. Warm up: 3 Jacks.

Icefields Parkway (where u get lunch/food):

Simple: Helen Lake. More time needed: Wilcox Pass to Peak Ridge.

Jasper:

Evening: take the tram up to the Whistlers for sunset pics.

Cavell Meadows, Sulphur Skyline trail for interesting rock tower formations.

Easy morning warm up hike: picturesque Medicine Lake.

Edited by aardvark88
sp.

On 7/18/2023 at 5:15 AM, thewritestuff said:

Thanks for the replies!

Recommend: Takakkaw (tall) Falls near Field, BC next to the AB border.

Can't recommend: 20 mins. running around wonderfully picturesque Spirit Island after a 20 mins. boat ride on scenic Maligne Lake to get there. But, this boat tour may be suitable to relax a bit the day after a more grueling 5 hour return hike circuit.

On 7/16/2023 at 1:26 PM, thehumantorch said:

Nothing in Banff or Jasper.  There are a fair number of lcs in Calgary and Edmonton although most don’t have a good selection of GA. I did hear that the coin comic collectible store in West Edmonton Mall bought a GA collection but I haven’t gone to look at it yet.

If there was a store in my area that bought a GA collection, I would be knocking on the door as soon as I found out…:sumo:

On 7/19/2023 at 10:15 AM, Robot Man said:

If there was a store in my area that bought a GA collection, I would be knocking on the door as soon as I found out…:sumo:

The guy who helps the store buy comics and told me about the books is a wheeler dealer and very aggressive and while I get along with him now I've had negative interactions with him in the past.  That's made me hesitant to go look.

On 7/18/2023 at 3:07 AM, aardvark88 said:

I would forget about GA in that area, and enjoy your hiking vacation. World class hiking and scenic pics to be taken also in Yoho National Park (in shape: do Lake Oesa else simpler Lake O'Hara, Emerald Lake circuit) but that is on the BC side of the AB border. Even the simple warm up hikes like Parker Ridge on your way north to Jasper from Banff are satisfying. Recommended hikes:

Lake Louise and Moraine Lake:

Plain of 6 Glaciers, Larch Valley. If u are in good shape: Big Beehive else small Beehive circuit hike to lunch at the tea shop. If u have most of the day: Sentinel Pass and Larch Valley.

Banff area:

Edith Pass circuit. Easy hikes: Sunshine Meadows, Johnston Canyon to the Inkpots. Warm up: 3 Jacks.

Icefields Parkway (where u get lunch/food):

Simple: Helen Lake. More time needed: Wilcox Pass to Peak Ridge.

Jasper:

Evening: take the tram up to the Whistlers for sunset pics.

Cavell Meadows, Sulphur Skyline trail for interesting rock tower formations.

Easy morning warm up hike: picturesque Medicine Lake.

I'm glad to know myself. As far as walking in this picturesque region goes, your suggested routes sound exciting. From hikes in Yoho National Park to trails around Lake Louise and Moraine Lakes, you've picked out some amazing spots. The recommendations for hikes in the Banff and Jasper area are also great, especially Sulfur Skyline and beautiful Medicine Lake. I know these places very well. I didn't read much before and used essay writing help, found https://ca.edubirdie.com/essay-writing-help for this. Then I started reading comics little by little. Later he switched to science fiction and detective books. Now I consistently read one book every two weeks.

Edited by estrellmamone2

My 2 favorite drives in the world are:

- Pacific Coast Highway between LA and San Francisco - especially the Big Sur area.

- The Icefields Parkway, between Banff and Jasper.

The Icefields Parkway is an absolute must - not to be missed. Glacier after lake after glacier after lake after glacier .....

And along the way you must stop at the Athabasca Glacier, where you can take the gigantic buses right onto the glacier and walk on the glacier - simply amazing.

Altough the OP posted last June and was going in August.  So am not sure if this will be useful to anyone!  hm

Edited by MusterMark