• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conan the barbari #68
2 2

20 posts in this topic

On 7/17/2023 at 8:23 AM, scburdet said:

the cost of pressing (if you aren't doing it yourself) would almost certainly exceed the FMV

Totally agreed, the cost of pressing and cleaning and factor in shipping from Canada with a 30% exchange rate is just too much for most of these books. I prefer just waiting for an opportunity and buy a pre-graded CGC copy of the same book.  I mean I would love to slab some of the books that have a little more potential, but I am just on a small private collection not some e-comic book shop through Ebay and Facebook Market place. 

On 7/19/2023 at 9:13 PM, aabruzzese said:

At least the grades are honest opinions. It is crazy to see the difference though. 

If you have the misfortune for me to pass sentence on any of your other books, you'll realise I'm using a harsher grading scale closer to Overstreet. I can't help it, it's my age. I have tried/am trying to get closer to a CGC method which tends to be more lenient in certain areas and has itself changed over the years, with harsher and more lenient periods which were not applied universally across all eras of books. 

I'm not being malicious. I'm looking at people's books, comparing them with books in similar condition to my own and imagining them in hand as far as possible. If it feels like something I'd call a VG in my own collection, then I call it a VG. Take my grades with a pinch of salt and add generally 0.5 and you should end up with a CGC type grade. In fact maybe that's what I should do!

Edited by LowGradeBronze

On 7/22/2023 at 10:21 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

If you have the misfortune for me to pass sentence on any of your other books, you'll realise I'm using a harsher grading scale closer to Overstreet. I can't help it, it's my age. I have tried/am trying to get closer to a CGC method which tends to be more lenient in certain areas and has itself changed over the years, with harsher and more lenient periods which were not applied universally across all eras of books. 

I'm not being malicious. I'm looking at people's books, comparing them with books in similar condition to my own and imagining them in hand as far as possible. If it feels like something I'd call a VG in my own collection, then I call it a VG. Take my grades with a pinch of salt and add generally 0.5 and you should end up with a CGC type grade. In fact maybe that's what I should do!

But that is what I am actually looking for, real honest opinions as I am trying to get an eye for grading and what to look for. I am learning as I go and am noticing that I am in the ballpark when looking at the threads and trying to give an honest grade on a post.

If you could, I posted a Peter Parker Spectacular Spiderman #15 which I believe is at least NM but am hoping a 9.4 or better and would love an honest review. I cleaned and pressed the book at home to take out a few minor creases on the back cover and do not see any major defects or spine stress and color breaks. 

Edited by aabruzzese