• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2023 CGC Grading Contest Summer Edition (#7) Round 4
10 10

191 posts in this topic

I had a 5 point round for a disappointing total of 29. I took 7 big points on the last two books in Round 3.

Thanks for running another great contest @CGC Mike! I’m already looking forward to October!

On 8/5/2023 at 8:40 AM, jcjames said:

I bet it's more like 30 seconds at most looking at the cover (not counting resto-check). Moderns would get maybe a 5-10 second once-over. 

The volume of books they have to look at per hour would make it impossible to spend 2 minutes/book. 

Wanted to loop back on this and comment.  And would be interested in CGC's input.  For due diligence on any book does not CGC (regardless of year or era) have to do CT check/scan, count pages, check for interior page issues/cut-outs/etc?  Would that not take at least a minute or two?  Writing the notes alone would take a half-minute to minute.  Doesn't that make 2 minutes a book and for many books 3 or 4 minutes? hm

I was expecting great things for this round but got nailed by the Horrific #3. I wrote down my first impression and final grades for each, but they weren't much different:
CT #13: First: 4.5, Final: 3.5, Actual: 4.0

DS #30: First: 5.0, Final: 5.0, Actual: 5.0

H #3: First: 1.8, Final: 1.8, Actual: 3.0

DS #1: First: 6.0, Final: 6.0, Actual: 5.0

A #7: First: 8.5 doh!, Final: 8.0, Actual: 7.0

My total is either 25 or 26 (forget my cume through round 3), so, not a contender. A fun introduction to the game though.

Edited by paqart

On 8/5/2023 at 6:58 PM, paqart said:

I gave it a 1.8. As a collector, I wouldn't want the comic at all unless it was otherwise unattainable (like an AF 15). Meaning, below basement prices. Tape along the entire spine, to me, equals serious paper deterioration, sticky goo, and funny smells. Also, I think it is fair to assume the worst regarding what might be found on the other side. My opinion is that top grade for fully taped spine is 3.0, but add the staples and we're at max 2.0. I was having a hard time deciding between 1.8-2.0. A 3.0 was out of the question.

Being a novice grader, I consulted the CGC reference book for this one.  It says tape fully along the spine can bring the grade down to 4.0, so that's what I gave it.

On 8/5/2023 at 10:10 PM, Tom789 said:

Being a novice grader, I consulted the CGC reference book for this one.  It says tape fully along the spine can bring the grade down to 4.0, so that's what I gave it.

Yeah, I saw something like that online but it just seemed wrong. I was tempted to follow what it said, but had a hard time not seeing what I saw. Plus, the back cover was messed up also. I really hate tape because it is constantly damaging the comic until all the glue is dried up and gone. If that happens, then the comic is so brittle, it may as well be a jar of dust.

On 8/6/2023 at 10:13 AM, flashlites said:

I hit the Don Heck book too hard ... I had it at 2.5 I gave the Avengers a 7.5 But it was Diary Secrets that really threw me I scored it a 4.0...those staple tears, I was left wondering if the cover was partially detached.

Exactly my thoughts. I thought the general wear was in the 5.0 range but the staple tears would pull it down. CGC used to really hammer that sort of structural issue. Maybe not so much these days?

On 8/6/2023 at 3:53 AM, Black_Adam said:

I never even noticed that tear on the Avengers cover.   :facepalm:

Me neither. Easy to miss though, if you do an all hope is lost quick and dirty gut assessment from the image. Hidden by the art, you see. Or not see, as the case may be. I should've known it would be a 7.0 though, as we haven't had a book graded 7.0 yet.

Oh, hang on....