• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shi vs. Tomoe # 1 Crusade - Chromium Wraparound cover
2 2

7 posts in this topic

>9.2 Maybe. Really hard to tell the difference between 9.4-9.8 just by photos. You can even miss something with the book in hand. Without searching hard for better deals, I found you can buy a 9.8 for <$70. About 1/3 the cost of grading, so a dice roll on submission whether it's a good investment.

On 7/18/2023 at 6:25 PM, scburdet said:

>9.2 Maybe. Really hard to tell the difference between 9.4-9.8 just by photos. You can even miss something with the book in hand. Without searching hard for better deals, I found you can buy a 9.8 for <$70. About 1/3 the cost of grading, so a dice roll on submission whether it's a good investment.

I knowm, when you do a quick scan on Ebay you can find the book from 300 to 400$ at 9.8 at the same someone else has it listed a7 80$ at 9.8 or 9.6.  There does seem to be a very small number of them in the CGC census though. 

On 7/18/2023 at 6:32 PM, Grendel72 said:

Think safe bet 9.4 but anything higher only Crom knows. 

That is a good number when you look at it face value.  I don't think the book is worth grading at anything lower than a 9.6 although I wonder if it has any future potential for a bump?  Do books that did not add any new issues in the series ever go up in value as time passes?

On 7/19/2023 at 5:34 AM, Semicentennial said:

Unless that right edge is from bad lighting, I can't see it getting higher than VF, or maybe VF/NM.

It's really hard to get high quality pictures using basic natural light and a cell phone. The book does not have any creasing anywher
along the edges, I will do a bobble check with my magnifying glass to be sure, but a dry clean and a press might help 
boost it. The line between a NM and a VF is so narrow that it is easy to see why people so often just flag their books as NM when they are actually more of a FN or VF.