• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade PreScreen - return shipping
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hi, 

I was looking at the Pre-Screen service and was thinking it would be a good option for some of the books I would like 
to submit. With a floor of 8.0 I figure it is a good cutoff point between knowing the book is a FN to VF range and figure 
out what I want to do with them when I get them back.

But was curious if the return shipping should be less than books that were actually slabbed. 

On 7/22/2023 at 8:03 AM, aabruzzese said:

I was looking at the Pre-Screen service and was thinking it would be a good option for some of the books I would like to submit. With a floor of 8.0 I figure it is a good cutoff point between knowing the book is a FN to VF range and figure out what I want to do with them when I get them back.  But was curious if the return shipping should be less than books that were actually slabbed.

This is not how a CGC PreScreen works.  (tsk)  The books at/above your specified minimum grade will be certified/encapsulated.  The books below your specified minimum grade will be returned to you uncertified (in the same parcel as the slabbed books).  CGC's PreScreen service should not be thought of as a substitute for learning how to grade.  Remember, they're going to charge you $9 for every book that doesn't pass:ohnoez:

PreScreen.thumb.png.f9232391f96dbe9afe376d3a8258209f.png

Edited by zzutak

Cgc does not lower the return shipping to account for the lighter weight of sending slabbed books vs raw books under their fed ex accounts.

As a dealer I use my own UPS account which can see some savings with less books being slabbed vs raw condition.

The difference isn’t much since the Bean Counters at UPS have created enough surcharges to boost their bottom line.  Most of my orders are charged dimensional weight, which is the square inches of the box instead of physical weight.  Although if it’s tighter and heavier they use which is greater.  I also get a gas surcharge fee, signature delivery fee, I live in a small town surcharge fee and if the box is bulging, they recalculate an additional dimensional fee because it’s slightly bigger.  Oh and they also charge a holiday surcharge fee during November and December. 

Edited by Topnotchman
Spelling

Those are allot of fees that is for sure, sometimes you just have no choice. I live in Canada so that complicates it even more with a 30% exchange rate and possible custom fees it adds up really fast/

On a 200$ order I would end up paying 60$ just for the exchange rate never mind any additional fees or taxes that could come up.