• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

High Value Comic Shipping
3 3

56 posts in this topic

I recently mailed out a high valued book via USPS Registered Mail.  Boy, it took quite sometime to get to the buyer.. Roughly 2.5 weeks!  Not only that, but I had to call a USPS agent to try and search for the package because there had been no tracking activity for more than a week.  I really thought it was lost!!  Sure enough right after I made that call, the next couple days it arrived at the destination then was being prepared to be delivered.  

I dunno if I can go through registered mail again.  

On 7/24/2023 at 9:33 PM, Dark Knight said:

I recently mailed out a high valued book via USPS Registered Mail.  Boy, it took quite sometime to get to the buyer.. Roughly 2.5 weeks!  Not only that, but I had to call a USPS agent to try and search for the package because there had been no tracking activity for more than a week.  I really thought it was lost!!  Sure enough right after I made that call, the next couple days it arrived at the destination then was being prepared to be delivered.  

When it is going to a "buyer".. (and or if not stated in the listing)... you may have the "where is it at?" Feeling more than on it's way to CGC due to deadlines. It might ease the pressure, if I'm understanding. You're not the first to feel that way, but would be the most ideal short of hand delivery 🙏 

At least you know what to expect having done it once!  :cheers:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 7/24/2023 at 10:19 PM, Dr. Love said:

Get a policy with Collectibles Insursnce. Then mail via FedEx Signature. If something starts to go wrong you can deal with a human being in real time. Simply impossible with USPS.

This is advisable ON TOP of carrier insurance, especially if there will be additional shipments. And your entire collection is covered, not just the single shipment.

Having 2 forms of coverage may seem like overkill, but the cost is not prohibitive. Not the worst strategy. 

On 7/24/2023 at 7:41 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

When it is going to a "buyer".. (and or if not stated in the listing)... you may have the "where is it at?" Feeling more than on it's way to CGC due to deadlines. It might ease the pressure, if I'm understanding. You're not the first to feel that way, but would be the most ideal short of hand delivery 🙏 

At least you know what to expect having done it once!  :cheers:

Yeah the buyer was indeed wondering where the book was because there was no activity with tracking. It was "stuck" at the place where it departed for a week and a few days.  I needed to do my due diligence and make that call to USPS and see what's going on. The post master emailed me saying that they were going to look into it at the last place the package was.  It may have been stuck there for whatever reason. But, I'm glad it was found and delivered safely.

The thing is, I have used Registered Mail a handful of times in the past.  But the last time I used it before this current one was roughly around 5 years ago.  At that time, I felt that the delivery was quicker.  Same also when CGC used to mail me back my books after being graded by them, they were delivered to me in 5-7 business days through RM.  So, I dunno. Maybe I was one of the unlucky ones where the package was temporarily misplaced.

On 7/24/2023 at 7:33 PM, Dark Knight said:

Over the years I’ve learned that overnight shipping is better than registered. I know registered supposedly goes from lock box to lock box and is slower and more secure, but I feel the “longer” an important package is in the transport system so to speak, the higher chance of something bad happening to it. And CI insurance covers up to $60k per package with overnight shipping so that solves the coverage part. I’d rather it get there overnight three linger for several days or weeks in transit. 

Been a couple years since I had to do it but I’ve always went registered and never had any issues. Although funny enough the last time I had to do it the postal clerk asked me “why do you wanted to send it registered, what is it?” I told him a comic book, and he said no you don’t want to send it registered, registered is just for high value items like stock certificates and bonds… I then told him what it was worth and he had no issue helping me. 

One thing I will say though is to photograph/scan the book heavily before sending. If anything does go wrong you want as much proof of condition as you can have.

On 7/24/2023 at 7:25 PM, WernerVonDoom said:

If you buy a book from a seller and its damaged, USPS insurance is very quick to repay you. They have the exact value and its easy. If you are sending raw books to CGC that is going to be tough to get full value from any insurer.

So your best bet is to reduce the chance of them being lost/stolen/damaged in the first place, which would be USPS registered.

Ahhh! This is what I was referring too.  I was thinking shipping service point of view...like "What makes this book worth <insert high $$dollar$$ amount here>".  I would think it's up to you to "prove" the book is worth X via GPA, other recorded sales etc...before you can collect.  You still need to insure the book(s) or you have no chance at any monetary compensation.

I would advise to at least do some high res scans of the book so you have great evidence if something goes wrong for the claim and insurance. 

I submitted my high value book at a local  con that CGC attended so that helped a bit on the worry lol but even then I was worried a bit… 

On 7/24/2023 at 11:55 PM, Krismusic said:

I would advise to at least do some high res scans of the book so you have great evidence if something goes wrong for the claim and insurance. 

I submitted my high value book at a local  con that CGC attended so that helped a bit on the worry lol but even then I was worried a bit… 

Yes, this is preferable to shipping at all, if there is a con in your area that CGC is attending, or one you can get to at a reasonable cost.

On 7/24/2023 at 6:30 PM, mattn792 said:

OK, now that you’ve tried to impress everyone by waving your wang at yet another thread, let’s get back to giving the OP real advice.

For example - @JBell60, registered is also significantly cheaper than Express.  As long as you’re not in a time crunch on getting the books turned around from CGC, registered should be your best bet.

I actually kind of agree with Shad. If you have the time and can swing it, if its cheaper to fly to Tampa and rent a car to drive to Sarasota from where you are, do that. The books will never leave your hands and you'll be more secure. Plus you can see southwest Florida in the summer, which is always a thrill.

On 7/25/2023 at 9:51 AM, FlyingDonut said:

I actually kind of agree with Shad. If you have the time and can swing it, if its cheaper to fly to Tampa and rent a car to drive to Sarasota from where you are, do that. The books will never leave your hands and you'll be more secure. Plus you can see southwest Florida in the summer, which is always a thrill.

Again, not the point.

On 7/25/2023 at 11:29 AM, mattn792 said:

Again, not the point.

I think it is. If you have the time and can swing it, I'd fly there, not ship it. If you don't, registered mail is the way to go.

On 7/25/2023 at 8:54 AM, Slayah said:

Don't you have to be an authorized dealer to drop books off at CGC?

Rules are like bones. They are meant to be broken. 

If it makes you feel better, the OP can fly to any show where CGC accepts books in person.  He mentioned $400 in insurance fees.  As I pointed out, that buys a lot of airfare.  Is it a universal remedy that works for everyone? No.  Might it work for the OP? Perhaps.

Edited by shadroch