• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First KubieCon at the Joe Kubert School 2023-07-23

8 posts in this topic

Well, this would be my first time contributing art pics from a show.  The show was sponsored by the Joe Kubert School and Pug Productions (njcomicshows.com).  Pug Productions has put on comic shows in northern NJ for decades.  Kubert School graduates are colloquially known as "Kubies".  My buddy (and JKS graduate) Steve Mannion told me the DC bullpen might say "we need another Kubie". 

For more info see: https://www.comicartfans.com/article.asp?NID=16440 .  Besides local comic dealers, the show was attended by Kubert School instructors including Kim DeMulder, Jan Duursema, Tom Mandrake and various current JKS students.  The school is contained in what was an old high school (separate boys/girls entrances for the gymnasium).

Note, none of the art pictured here was for sale.  Except for the huge drawings on newsprint, every other piece seemed like a reproduction.  Sorry for the glare, reflections and whatnot.  A projection screen cord was hanging in front of the partial Hawkman drawing.  The giant machine was identified as a camera used to photograph animation cells back in the day.  The Prince Valiant pieces were reproduced at close to modern comic art size.

kubertschool.jpeg

womensbath.jpeg

mensbath.jpeg

camera.jpeg

Edited by Will_K