• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Butcher paper, brown paper, parchment paper, or?

11 posts in this topic

I have been pressing some artwork sent to me in a rolled up tube. When I took it out of my “press”, I smelled ink. Rather than just turning it over and pressing the other side, I decided to let it air itself out for a while. Now, it is time to flip it and press the other side, but I am concerned there may be smudging or sticking to the table. So, I was thinking of first placing down a water resistant paper (even wax paper) first. Different paper types came to mind, including regular wrapping paper (not resistant to water), to wax paper, butcher paper or parchment paper. Any thoughts? Am I over-concerned?

In my experience, I've had the best luck with parchment paper. I just recently flattened out some xerox copies that I really had to get humid to repair, and they came out fine.

In the past, I have used Mylar (not good at all), wax paper (it felt like there was a leftover residue) and silicone baking sheets (transferred a faint textural pattern from the silicone to the paper) all to poor results.

The parchment sheets I use are for baking pan liners, and they are good for one to three uses before you have to toss them due to wrinkling. I have used these parchment sheets on original art that had minor creases that I wanted to get out. They work well, there's no transfer of ink. Granted, I'm using a little humidity, no heat and a lot of time under heavy books to work out the creases - but I never experience any damage with the parchment sheets.

On 7/25/2023 at 9:19 AM, cstojano said:

I thought glassine was the standard for protecting painted surfaces??

Maybe I need both. Glassine may protect the table (wood), but what about the art? Aside from the art, I don't want to ruin my table.

On 7/25/2023 at 10:06 AM, Rick2you2 said:

Maybe I need both. Glassine may protect the table (wood), but what about the art? Aside from the art, I don't want to ruin my table.

I used either illustration board or smooth matboard and sandwich the artwork between with the parchment, and then the weight on top of my table when I do it (my table has a little uneven texture to it)

I don't know how big of a piece of paper you are trying to flatten out - that might make a difference in what you can buy due to size. You can get matboard up to 30x40 at a frame shop, illustration board is like 32x40, if I recall.

That's a great idea. As far as I'm concerned, wax paper can provide a smooth and non-stick surface, making it a suitable choice for protecting your artwork during the pressing process. It is commonly used for crafts and baking, and its wax coating helps prevent sticking. Butcher paper has a smooth surface and can help avoid smudging or sticking. However, remember that it may not be as water-resistant as wax or parchment paper. If you don't have any of these specific papers on hand, you can also consider using clean, unprinted newsprint paper or acid-free tissue paper. These papers are generally safe for artwork and can provide a protective barrier.

Edited by hhills

On 7/25/2023 at 9:03 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I used either illustration board or smooth matboard and sandwich the artwork between with the parchment, and then the weight on top of my table when I do it (my table has a little uneven texture to it)

I don't know how big of a piece of paper you are trying to flatten out - that might make a difference in what you can buy due to size. You can get matboard up to 30x40 at a frame shop, illustration board is like 32x40, if I recall.

Good tips.    A full sheet of illo board is 30 (not 32) by 40 as well.

On 7/25/2023 at 8:43 AM, Dr. Balls said:

In the past, I have used Mylar (not good at all), wax paper (it felt like there was a leftover residue) and silicone baking sheets (transferred a faint textural pattern from the silicone to the paper) all to poor results.

@Dr. Balls or anyone... this topic was originally about flattening art that was rolled up.  What do you think about using wax paper if there is no pressure ??  I keep my Itoyas standing up.  So I assume that would lessen the worries about residue.

On 9/24/2023 at 5:32 PM, Will_K said:

@Dr. Balls or anyone... this topic was originally about flattening art that was rolled up.  What do you think about using wax paper if there is no pressure ??  I keep my Itoyas standing up.  So I assume that would lessen the worries about residue.

I have tried flattening inexpensive posters from the 90’s by using a piece of foam core that covers the entire poster and some books for weight. After a few months, they’ve gone from heavily rolled to a slight curl. Granted, it’s very thin paper (maybe 100# book/text at the most) but it worked.

I would give foam core a try if you have the room (since it’s 1/8” thick or so), and it’s acid free.

Without tons of pressure, I’m sure wax paper would also do the job without leaving a residue.

Should've been more specific.  I wasn't trying to flatten something.  I'm really interested in protecting pastels and other kinds of pencil drawings from smudging.  But it seems the most important thing is avoiding pressure.

On 9/25/2023 at 12:39 AM, Will_K said:

Should've been more specific.  I wasn't trying to flatten something.  I'm really interested in protecting pastels and other kinds of pencil drawings from smudging.  But it seems the most important thing is avoiding pressure.

As a fine artist, you may want to check with the original artist to see if they recommend (or use) a fixative for their drawings.  Many do, and there are a lot of options on the market.  That should prevent smudging.