• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Title with the best Artists

53 posts in this topic

Fantastic Four is the title the leapt to mind for me as well. ASM is a good title, not to mention later runs after the first 185 issues by Romita jr, Byrne, and others. However, Kirby and Buscema's FF is much more interesting to me as an integration of story and art. ASM had some excellent stories, but the FF felt more imaginative to me. The Avengers had a similar quality, with the same creative teams as the FF for most of its run. However, it didn't last as long with the Avengers as the FF.

If we expanded the scope of this question a little bit to include anthologies, I would pick Carl Barks' run on Walt Disney Comics and Stories. The stories, though less crammed with epic adventure stories than the Uncle Scrooge and Four Color Donald Duck stories by Barks, are still full of interesting and entertaining material.

FourColorGroup.jpg

Edited by paqart

On 7/25/2023 at 4:58 PM, paqart said:

Now that I think of it, Action and Detective had a lot of good artists as well. Curt Swan, though more of a cartoonist than an "illustrator" was an excellent comic book artist. His run on Action Comics is one of the longest, if not the longest, run of any artist on any comic. Byrne, Kubert, and other notables also worked on the title, but none with the same impact as Swan. Detective had loads of excellent doses, though none dominated the title Swan dominated Action, or Kirby on FF, or Romita on ASM. Detective had Neal Adams, Michael Kaluta, Frank Robbins, Jim Aparo, MR. Giordano, Marshall Rogers, Walt Simonson (though not his best work), and many others.

Detective_Comics_400-00.jpg

Agreed regarding Detective. I would add that it also had a nice long run by Norm Breyfogle, a personal fav of mine. As well as shorter, but memorable runs by Alan Davis and Todd McFarlane. 

On 7/25/2023 at 7:14 PM, TheBigJ said:

Perhaps discussed in another thread, but was thinking about this and have some thoughts. IMHO the title with the best artists is The Fantastic Four.

Kirby, Buscema, Perez, Byrne - tough to beat  - well over 250+ issues I believe.

# of issues is deciding factor for me.

Don’t forget Romita between Kirby and Buscema on FF. 

Daredevil was always my favourite - 100 issues of Everett, Wood, Romita, Colan and Barry Smith. After Colan left treaded water a bit until Frank Miller. 

Edited by Garystar

On 7/25/2023 at 10:35 PM, Garystar said:

Daredevil was always my favourite - 100 issues of Everett, Wood, Romita, Colan and Barry Smith. After Colan left treaded water a bit until Frank Miller. 

Lots of good artists after Miller too; Mazzucchelli, Romita Jr, Weeks, Garney, Quesada, Maleev, Lark, Samnee.

On 7/25/2023 at 6:11 PM, Readcomix said:

I’ll add a dark horse — through various runs, Dr Strange — Ditko, Palmer, Colan, Brunner, Marshall Rogers.

BRunner's Dr. Strange is indeed a great little run. Thanks for the reminder. If we include that, I suppose Wrightson's 9 issues of Swamp Thing have to be added as well.

On 7/25/2023 at 6:11 PM, Readcomix said:

I’ll add a dark horse — through various runs, Dr Strange — Ditko, Palmer, Colan, Brunner, Marshall Rogers.

PAUL SMITH, BILL EVERETT, and even more, good modern artists as well...Buckingham, Tony Harris, Tradd Moore

On 7/25/2023 at 5:09 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Creepy / Eerie

Frank Frazetta, Al Williamson, Alex Toth, John Severin, Johnny Craig, Gene Colan, Wally Wood, Bernie Wrightson, Steve Ditko, Neal Adams, Jeff Jones, Tom Sutton, Richard Corben, Jim Starlin, Alex Nino, Mike Ploog, Frank Brunner, Bruce Jones, Russ Heath, Jose Ortiz...

House of Mystery / House of Secrets would be similar, with, from memory; Toth, Wood, Wrightson, Williamson, Heath, Adams, Nino, and Jack Kirby, Joe Kubert, Mike Kaluta, Nick Cardy, Gil Kane, Jim Aparo, and Michael Golden.

Creepy is another good call.  If we're extending to comic Magazines, MAD has a pretty incredible lineup over the years as well.

On 7/25/2023 at 5:11 PM, Readcomix said:

I wouldn’t hesitate to add Dan Adkins name to that list.  9_9