• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Name a comic battle that made no sense
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I recently saw the cover of Avengers Annual #15, and remembered it featured a story by Danny Fingeroth that made no sense whatsoever. I'm surprised someone as savvy as Editor Mark Gruenwald didn't have an issue with it.

Freedom Force - consisting of Mystique, Destiny, Spiral, Blob, Pyro, Avalanche and Spider-Woman - are somehow able to overcome the combined West/East Coast Avengers. The latter consists of:

Captain America, Wasp, Captain Marvel, Hercules, Black Knight, Hawkeye, Mockingbird, Tigra, Wonder Man, Iron Man and Henry Pym.

It was a total nonsense - half the Annual is an irrelevant baseball game, then the Assemblers argue in comical fashion about the merits of going with Freedom Force and then just stand around do nothing when attacked. The latter also made no sense (eg. Spider-Woman could NOT  knock Wonder Man out with a wooden pole! He has super-reflexes and could easily dodge, OR just stand there and let it break against his invulnerable skin. Not to mention the fact that Wonder Man wouldn't even feel Spider-Woman's blows, no matter how many she landed...)

So, in addition to highlighting a weak story, here's a solution:

The battle starts. Captain America, having trained both teams for group combat, just says "Plan S (Surprise!)

Captain Marvel flares with a brilliant light and blinds their opponents, while Iron Man emits hypersonic frequencies to deafen them. Simultaneously, Hawkeye fires gas arrows as Hercules pounds the ground Hulk-style and knocks FF off their feet.

Wasp ploughs through with bio-blasts, followed by Wonder Man, who can knock out most of the team with light taps.

Henry Pym produces and expands steel nets, which Mockingbird, Tigra and Captain  America throw over their foes with efficiency.

Black Knight is on standby with his enchanted sword to deflect any attacks directed at the team, and waves it with intent at the Blob, stating if he attempts to rise the blade will cut him.

All over in about 30 seconds flat.

Anyone else care to highlight another story that was mishandled?

On 8/1/2023 at 11:22 AM, Buzzetta said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/2004-alcs-recap

Still hurts... I was there. Still doesn't make sense. 

:luhv:

Any battle where the power mismatch is completely ignored. e.g. 90% of Flash's enemies. He could run circles around Boomerang, Captain Cold, etc.. or just take off to Tahiti for a moment.

I also expect that he should be more powerful physically than often portrayed, as F=mA.

On 7/27/2023 at 1:33 AM, World Devourer said:

I recently saw the cover of Avengers Annual #15, and remembered it featured a story by Danny Fingeroth that made no sense whatsoever. I'm surprised someone as savvy as Editor Mark Gruenwald didn't have an issue with it.

Freedom Force - consisting of Mystique, Destiny, Spiral, Blob, Pyro, Avalanche and Spider-Woman - are somehow able to overcome the combined West/East Coast Avengers. The latter consists of:

Captain America, Wasp, Captain Marvel, Hercules, Black Knight, Hawkeye, Mockingbird, Tigra, Wonder Man, Iron Man and Henry Pym.

It was a total nonsense - half the Annual is an irrelevant baseball game, then the Assemblers argue in comical fashion about the merits of going with Freedom Force and then just stand around do nothing when attacked. The latter also made no sense (eg. Spider-Woman could NOT  knock Wonder Man out with a wooden pole! He has super-reflexes and could easily dodge, OR just stand there and let it break against his invulnerable skin. Not to mention the fact that Wonder Man wouldn't even feel Spider-Woman's blows, no matter how many she landed...)

So, in addition to highlighting a weak story, here's a solution:

The battle starts. Captain America, having trained both teams for group combat, just says "Plan S (Surprise!)

Captain Marvel flares with a brilliant light and blinds their opponents, while Iron Man emits hypersonic frequencies to deafen them. Simultaneously, Hawkeye fires gas arrows as Hercules pounds the ground Hulk-style and knocks FF off their feet.

Wasp ploughs through with bio-blasts, followed by Wonder Man, who can knock out most of the team with light taps.

Henry Pym produces and expands steel nets, which Mockingbird, Tigra and Captain  America throw over their foes with efficiency.

Black Knight is on standby with his enchanted sword to deflect any attacks directed at the team, and waves it with intent at the Blob, stating if he attempts to rise the blade will cut him.

All over in about 30 seconds flat.

Anyone else care to highlight another story that was mishandled?

Yeah I remember reading this as a kid and truly didn't understand how Freedom force was ever a threat for ONE Avengers team let alone TWO. I get that it served a narrative purpose... just didn't make much sense at all.

90% of the times Batman beats Superman makes zero sense at all. besides being Superstrong and invulnerable, the guy can literally move at the speed of thought. If he really wanted to, he could counter any "planning" Bruce could come up with with ease.