• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paul Reubens, Pee-wee Herman actor, dies at 70

13 posts in this topic

Damn! RIP Paul Ruebens!

Big Adventure is in my top ten of movie comedies. Written by Paul Ruebens, Dan Hartman and Paul Warhol.
Tim Burtons first feature as Director...not a perfect film, but has some brilliant moments. Here's a few:

Rebel Pee Wee

Amazing Larry

Montage of Clips

...and so many more!

What's your favorites?

Edited by Hiro

This is shocking to me. So young. I was a fan even before Big Adventure was made. A friend had a tape of the HBO special he did with all the characters that were later in Pee-Wee's Playhouse with a little more adult humor, and we watched the heck out of that tape. So sad to hear this.

On 7/31/2023 at 4:15 PM, Doctor Dositheus said:

This is shocking to me. So young. I was a fan even before Big Adventure was made. A friend had a tape of the HBO special he did with all the characters that were later in Pee-Wee's Playhouse with a little more adult humor, and we watched the heck out of that tape. So sad to hear this.

I remember the HBO special and Phil Hartman played Captain Carl. I hope now they are together coming up with skits with Pee Wee Herman and Captain Carl.

I first knew of him from the HBO Special and Letterman appearances and of course was a big fan of the Pee Wee's Playhouse. Besides the great actors, the show featured set design by Gary Panter, music by Mark Motherbaugh of Devo including the opening theme which was sung by Cyndi Lauper!

R.I.P. Mr. Reubens.

I watched Pee Wee's Big Adventure when I was 10, and my daughter was 10 when we watched Pee Wee's Big Holiday.  I recommend "Big Holiday" to anyone who is a fan of "Big Adventure". It seems to combine the nostalgia with the campiness really well. I read that "Big Holiday" was a sequel to "Big Adventure" or "Big Top", but that's not what it's like in the storyline. "Big Holiday" features a Pee Wee who has never left the shire his tiny hometown.

Edited by valiantman

On 7/31/2023 at 4:15 PM, Doctor Dositheus said:

I also first remember him from that HBO Special; amazing.

Years later, @Muno42 and I watched Pee Wee's Playhouse regularly, even though we were in our 20's. Saturday nights we'd get together and discuss the funniest parts of the episode. And we always "screamed real loud" if anyone said the secret word, much to the chagrin of our "more mature" friends.

RIP Paul Reubens. I'm sure a very comfortable "Chairry" awaits you in that Playhouse in the sky. 

I suppose I am of that age (50) that the people influencing my childhood (70) are going to start dropping off. I never cared about the Tallywhacker Turmoil, I just thought you were always cool. RIP Pee Wee.