• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's been a while... is there an optimal submission strategy?

7 posts in this topic

It has been a while since I have re-newed my membership.  I have way too many books that need to be submitted and I just need to start getting it done.

I have a variety of books that I would like to get graded, all eras -- Modern / Copper, Silver, few Gold, and magazine.  I'd like to ask the community what is the best strategy to be the most effiecient --> cost over speed.  I am not wanting to wait 6 months for books, but I don't want expeditited services to save a few days.

Hope this makes sense, but was hoping for some feedback / opinions on the following:

1. Is there an optimal number of books to ship at one time (I am speaking mostly for the Modern and Vintage tiers)?  5 / 10 / 50 / 100?

2. I am assuming that it is best to ship all the same tier together, but wanted to ask?

3. Can you specify a single book in the submission for pre-grading?  If I had 10 books and one of them was a crusty Hulk #181, could I ask for the pre-grade on only that #181 or is it applied to the whole shipment?

4. Same question as #3, expect for pressing services ?

5. How are books that are on the border of $400 handled?  Some books are only worth $400 after they are graded and if they are high enough --> would I get a call and someone say "This book is a $500 and we have charge."?

Thanks in advance -- sorry for ramble.  I have procrastinating long enough -- got too many books and need to get them slabbed.

On 8/1/2023 at 10:32 AM, redgar-red said:

1. Is there an optimal number of books to ship at one time (I am speaking mostly for the Modern and Vintage tiers)?  5 / 10 / 50 / 100?

2. I am assuming that it is best to ship all the same tier together, but wanted to ask?

3. Can you specify a single book in the submission for pre-grading?  If I had 10 books and one of them was a crusty Hulk #181, could I ask for the pre-grade on only that #181 or is it applied to the whole shipment?

4. Same question as #3, expect for pressing services ?

5. How are books that are on the border of $400 handled?  Some books are only worth $400 after they are graded and if they are high enough --> would I get a call and someone say "This book is a $500 and we have charge."?

1. CGC will return-ship in batches of 25, so it's best to submit 25 books at a time on the same invoice. (Each invoice ships separately, i.e. Modern would be 1 box, Unlimited would be another.)
  2. You can ship all books together, but CGC will ship per-invoice as previously mentioned.
  3. You can pre-screen a select amount of books sure, but I think that may be a separate invoice? Hopefully someone else who knows will chime in.
  4. Adding pressing is definitely a separate invoice.
  5. If you under-value your comics, yes, CGC will call you to charge you more money lol. Keep in mind that these values are for insurance purposes.

Just to group your questions together, everything in one order must be the same. So if you have 4 books and want custom labels, it has to be custom on ALL 4 or none. Same with screening. Same with pressing/CCS. Either all books are pressed or none are. If you have 4 moderns and want 2 pressed and 2 not, either order it for all 4 or submit two separate orders.

Now the good news is you can send all your submissions together. So if you have 2 vintage, 2 modern and 3 prescreen, you can ship them all in the same box, just make sure everything is organized & paperwork is in order. You’ll just get 3 separate shipments back from CGC (and pay shipping 3x). 

On 8/1/2023 at 10:38 AM, Cman429 said:

Just to group your questions together, everything in one order must be the same. So if you have 4 books and want custom labels, it has to be custom on ALL 4 or none. Same with screening. Same with pressing/CCS. Either all books are pressed or none are. If you have 4 moderns and want 2 pressed and 2 not, either order it for all 4 or submit two separate orders.

Now the good news is you can send all your submissions together. So if you have 2 vintage, 2 modern and 3 prescreen, you can ship them all in the same box, just make sure everything is organized & paperwork is in order. You’ll just get 3 separate shipments back from CGC (and pay shipping 3x). 

Thanks -- it's the 3x shipping that I am trying to avoid.  I will just be keeping it simple.... a stack of 25 at a time... for now.  I appreciate it!

On 8/1/2023 at 9:32 AM, redgar-red said:

I have way too many books that need to be submitted and I just need to start getting it done.

I have a variety of books that I would like to get graded, all eras --

got too many books and need to get them slabbed.

like or need? and if need, why?

Need might be a strong word... I have 4k-5k comics in my collection.  There are no grand slams, but I have put together a curious collections of titles that either: a) I enjoyed when I was younger b) acquired for investment c) just found interesting.  Some of the comics merit the cost of grading.  I have pressed comics for the last 10 years, but have not really applied my pressing along with grading to maximize the investment potential.  I would now like to see how to maximize the value of the key books that I have and then decide what I should do next.  I was hesitant to do this a couple of years ago because the time required to get books back was way too long.  It now appears to have improved a lot.

Hope that makes sense.