• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLINK glitch

56 posts in this topic

no statements, or fanfare... the site just popped back up earlier this evening. so i assume the auctions for the next couple days will be particularily weak cause not everyone (except sellers) will be paying attention to when it came back up.

On 8/3/2023 at 10:56 AM, MAR1979 said:

I get impression it's all Josh's bat and ball. Still Doug being an officer of the corporation may have some liabilities both in criminal and civil arena's - talking in general not just regarding this situation.

Regardless of the exact issue this time it could have very likley been avoided if Josh had not been so cheap with tech budget (geez, Spencer and Doug even admitted they had 90's code on their site), which is the very heart and lifeblood of his business. Josh's miserly stinginess now will be costing him BIG TIME!

I advise all to monitor whatever credit card they have on file with CLink very carefully! Not just for the next week or 2 but for the next 90-120 days!

I just realized I have several cards on file there.  Kicking myself.

On 8/5/2023 at 1:11 PM, J.Sid said:

So....what happens if someone runs up my credit card after the breach? 

Probably the same thing that CC did when hackers hacked their site and stole credit card information:  nothing. 

Actually, I seem to vaguely recall that CC informed people there'd been a data breach, but that's all they did.  Certainly no offer to do anything to help the people whose data had been stolen, unlike after Marriott reported a breach.  Sure enough, a few months later some bogus charges appeared on my credit card, which thankfully I got the credit card company to void and then the credit card was cancelled and I was issued a new one.     

On 8/4/2023 at 11:11 PM, J.Sid said:

So....what happens if someone runs up my credit card after the breach? 

On 8/5/2023 at 7:49 AM, tth2 said:

Probably the same thing that CC did when hackers hacked their site and stole credit card information:  nothing. 

Actually, I seem to vaguely recall that CC informed people there'd been a data breach, but that's all they did.  Certainly no offer to do anything to help the people whose data had been stolen, unlike after Marriott reported a breach.  Sure enough, a few months later some bogus charges appeared on my credit card, which thankfully I got the credit card company to void and then the credit card was cancelled and I was issued a new one.     

True. There's not much anyone can do. Monitor your statements, set up notifications on your credit card to send you texts when charges are made. Stuff like that.

Because of our business, our credit card information is stolen at least twice a year. We deny charges, cancel cards and repeat. If you're not actively looking to buy a house or a car, and you have whatever credit lines you have in place and in use - I'd highly suggest freezing your credit, which stops the ability of people to use your credit information to obtain accounts and credit cards in your name. Do the same thing with the IRS. Depending on your credit score, I'd also recommend LifeLock - which I will admit: I hate having to pay for it, but it's caught several things before anything happened. Some people might call it needless, but I can tell you that it's just part of the budget we have to accept now.

Yeah, it's a hassle, but this is the world we live in now and it will continue to get worse.

On 8/5/2023 at 11:34 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I'd also recommend LifeLock

I can see how it would be useful.  But the whole idea of providing personal info to just one more party so they can keep an eye out for it just seems crazy to me.

I've gotten e-mails from ComicLink with reminders about upcoming lots that will be closing and they did not even acknowledge a problem.  I think they should've taken that opportunity to say something.

On 8/5/2023 at 11:24 AM, Will_K said:

I can see how it would be useful.  But the whole idea of providing personal info to just one more party so they can keep an eye out for it just seems crazy to me.

I've gotten e-mails from ComicLink with reminders about upcoming lots that will be closing and they did not even acknowledge a problem.  I think they should've taken that opportunity to say something.

Definitely agree with that. I removed my credit card info, but likely too late depending on the situation there.

And yeah - the frustrating part about LifeLock is that you're basically paying $70-$100 a year to get an early warning against dirtbags using your credit information. Considering how much credit card companies make from transactions, gateway fees, etc - I think it's dumb that there is a cottage industry built around "protecting your data" since the people that handle it can't seem to do that on their own. I should not have to pay to protect something the credit card companies created to hang over our heads as punishment or reward while segregating consumers by giving them a "rating". But that's a story for another thread.

On 8/5/2023 at 4:34 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I'd also recommend LifeLock

Lifelock is a scam.  You're paying someone to sell your personal information to third parties.  Credit Karma provides the same service for free, you just have to live with their constant solicitations.

People should reserve their ire for the credit reporting agencies (Equifax, Experian, Transunion), who keep track of all your credit information and have seen major hacks, hundred of millions of records stolen.  That means all the information needed to open credit cards or apply for loans in your name has already been stolen from these companies with their brain-dead 1960s IT systems.  The only way to protect yourself is to freeze your credit file at all three of these companies, as has been said.

On 8/5/2023 at 6:44 PM, Taylor G said:

Lifelock is a scam.  You're paying someone to sell your personal information to third parties.  Credit Karma provides the same service for free, you just have to live with their constant solicitations.

People should reserve their ire for the credit reporting agencies (Equifax, Experian, Transunion), who keep track of all your credit information and have seen major hacks, hundred of millions of records stolen.  That means all the information needed to open credit cards or apply for loans in your name has already been stolen from these companies with their brain-dead 1960s IT systems.  The only way to protect yourself is to freeze your credit file at all three of these companies, as has been said.

So you're saying that Lifelock and freezing your credit is somewhat redundant? I'd be up to looking into that, because I hate paying LifeLock but figured I was stuck with it out of the "monitoring my credit" aspect of it.

On 8/6/2023 at 2:16 PM, KirbyCollector said:

Perhaps too subtle? The monkey is their IT dept...

Josh is far too cheap and stingy to even have that - a bunch of banana's after all will run over a buck perhaps even $2.

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/6/2023 at 2:27 PM, MAR1979 said:

Josh is far too cheap and stingy to even have that - a bunch of banana's after all will run over a buck perhaps even $2.

I don't Josh wants too many people working there. The more employees there are, the more eyes there are on all of CLink's business dealings.

On 8/6/2023 at 6:44 PM, Bill C said:

Once I saw they were actually banning comments and locking social media posts so people couldn't even ask about it or make others there aware, I kind of felt this gravitated beyond mere incompetence, unprofessionalism, cheapness, and laziness. Now it seems almost malicious.

I'll add lack of ethics, lack of morals and potentially questionable legality. Yet still better than HA :)

Edited by MAR1979