• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Significantly important issue numbers 1-100
1 1

90 posts in this topic

Great project!  Should create some interesting debate.

A few ideas for unfilled #s:

41 ASM (Rhino)

49 X-Men (Polaris)

90 TTA (Abomination)

A few alternatives to consider for #s you already have filled:

37 Showcase (Metal Men)

50 ASM (Kingpin)

I think you are too focused on character first appearances. I also get the sense you are not as into GA.  Consider these books:

31 - Detective 31

33 - Detective 33

86 - Flash Comics 86

Last issues can be very significant.  I view All-star 57 as more important than All-Star 58, for example. Which is why for 89 I would pick Marvel Family 89 over Fin Fang Foom (really?).

I also think you could be more creator focused like for 20 going with Swamp Thing 20 over Scorpion (who?).

On 8/3/2023 at 6:23 AM, sfcityduck said:

I think you are too focused on character first appearances. I also get the sense you are not as into GA.  Consider these books:

31 - Detective 31

33 - Detective 33

86 - Flash Comics 86

Last issues can be very significant.  I view All-star 57 as more important than All-Star 58, for example. Which is why for 89 I would pick Marvel Family 89 over Fin Fang Foom (really?).

I also think you could be more creator focused like for 20 going with Swamp Thing 20 over Scorpion (who?).

For GA I’d offer Detective #32 for consideration.  As I understand it, this is the first time Batman or any costumed hero-type used a firearm in comics.

On 8/3/2023 at 4:57 PM, steveinthecity said:

For GA I’d offer Detective #32 for consideration.  As I understand it, this is the first time Batman or any costumed hero-type used a firearm in comics.

Interesting one.

Lots of Golden Age alternatives, such as..

More Fun Comics 55 - 1st Doctor Fate

More Fun Comics 52 - 1st Spectre

Reminds me of the story Paul Howley told in his wonderful blog "My Life With Comic Books" when he and his wife were having a baby and needed to get an office job, for health insurance, in between working with Sparkle City and opening up his store. Whenever a certain number popped up in the office work, he saw comic book references:

"The problem was, that almost every number I saw reminded me of a specific comic book issue! #247 was the “Adventure Comics” with the first appearance of “The Legion Of Superheroes.” #83 was the “Journey Into Mystery” comic book with the first appearance of “Thor.” #4 was the “Showcase Comics” issue that introduced “The Flash.”

To this day, I also see this in everyday life things (bills, receipts, license plates, etc.) with comics and related numbers (especially oddball double and triple digit numbers!)

Great suggestions above for the missing issue numbers!

Here's a couple of missing issue suggestions for oddball numbers:

53 - Adam Strange begins his run in "Mystery In Space"

81 - Sgt. Rock prototype in "Our Army At War"

Edited by DanCooper

I tried doing this list a few years ago based on the "Most Submitted to CGC" but the majority of 1 - 100 were Amazing Spider-Man and it wasn't very interesting.  Identifying "interesting" books like Albedo #2 or Whiz #2 makes more sense than just setting #2 to Wolverine Limited Series #2 (1982) because it has been submitted most often.

Enjoy!

On 8/3/2023 at 2:26 PM, valiantman said:

I tried doing this list a few years ago based on the "Most Submitted to CGC" but the majority of 1 - 100 were Amazing Spider-Man and it wasn't very interesting.  Identifying "interesting" books like Albedo #2 or Whiz #2 makes more sense than just setting #2 to Wolverine Limited Series #2 (1982) because it has been submitted most often.

Enjoy!

Yeah, #2 has to belong to Whiz Comics - first appearance of one of the most successful superheroes of the 40's.  2c

Adventure 40 - first Sandman and a rare book.  hm

Edited by PopKulture

2000 AD issue 2 - first Judge Dredd

Venus 6 - Loki

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 8/3/2023 at 8:35 PM, PopKulture said:

Adventure 40 - first Sandman and a rare book.  

Thought of that one, but also thought someone might counter with New York World's Fair 1. Maybe.

On 8/3/2023 at 3:46 PM, buttock said:

I threw this out there almost 20 years ago if you want to revisit the list from then. 

I actually participated in this lively discussion...damn I feel old :preach:

On 8/3/2023 at 2:35 PM, PopKulture said:

Adventure 40 - first Sandman and a rare book.  hm

Sandman from New York World's Fair 1939 says "What?!?" :whatthe:

On 8/3/2023 at 3:19 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Thought of that one, but also thought someone might counter with New York World's Fair 1. Maybe.

lol

Edited by valiantman