• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPECTACULAR SPIDERMAN #64 - Origin 1st App Cloak Dagger 
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I am curious as to why the Cloak and Dagger key seems to be so highly prized as compared to most 

of the other PPSSM keys?   What sets this book apart from ther others, I am going to guess the 
character but I had not followed any of the Cloak and Dagger storylines or comic series. 

Angelo 

On 8/3/2023 at 1:33 PM, aabruzzese said:

I am curious as to why the Cloak and Dagger key seems to be so highly prized as compared to most 

of the other PPSSM keys?   What sets this book apart from ther others, I am going to guess the 
character but I had not followed any of the Cloak and Dagger storylines or comic series. 

Angelo 

It's been the same price in 9.6 for as long as I've been aware, it did have a TV show, but idk the following of it and I didn't watch it myself. It might have been a little cheaper before that, but 9.6 for $150-175 for a long time. Unless that too has changed?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Allow an old guy to chime in… :preach:

This is a legacy thing. The issue was actually quite hot back in the 1980s, when Cloak and Dagger were “in” for 5 minutes. They even got a miniseries from Marvel back when this was an unusual thing. At the time, prices jumped and the books were “broken out” from surrounding issues in terms of pricing.

Prices have not increased that much since those days, but neither have prices for other issues of PPSM, so the bump remains obvious. Ironically, one exception to this is PPSM 81 and 82, originally increased in price as the 3rd storyline/appearance for Cloak and Dagger, but now much more sought out as early(ish) appearances of the Punisher.

On 8/3/2023 at 4:00 PM, Brock said:

This is a legacy thing. The issue was actually quite hot back in the 1980s, when Cloak and Dagger were “in” for 5 minutes. They even got a miniseries from Marvel back when this was an unusual thing. At the time, prices jumped and the books were “broken out” from surrounding issues in terms of pricing.

Prices have not increased that much since those days, but neither have prices for other issues of PPSM, so the bump remains obvious. Ironically, one exception to this is PPSM 81 and 82, originally increased in price as the 3rd storyline/appearance for Cloak and Dagger, but now much more sought out as early(ish) appearances of the Punisher.

I think PPSSM will be in higher demand as time goes by and ASM becomes too expensive for the average or casual collector.  Not sure if comic book collecting is going the same way the Avalon Hill Wargames did and the hobby is mostly legacy and old timers. Are there signs that the younger crowd is getting into the hobby or is my gut feel close to the mark?

On 8/3/2023 at 2:13 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

It's been the same price in 9.6 for as long as I've been aware, it did have a TV show, but idk the following of it and I didn't watch it myself. It might have been a little cheaper before that, but 9.6 for $150-175 for a long time. Unless that too has changed?

Just seems like the spike for 64 with the data showing on CGC census is a bit irrational when compared to the rest of the key issues. 

I just purchased a complete PPSSM run all at High Grade 9.0 or better for about 800$  I mean how could I spent 150 for a single issue when comparing that. But 9.0 and 9.6 are worlds apart of course. 

On 8/3/2023 at 7:00 PM, Brock said:

Brock, I recall PPTSS #27 (1st Miller DD) always being more expensive than surrounding issues, likewise #85 (Early Hobgoblin appearance/1st time he obtains superhuman powers).  Also, PPTSS #90 (1st Spidey black costume in this title) has seen a significant bump over the past 5 years or so.

Overall, PPTSS is a decent read with solid, if somewhat unspectacular artwork, but I wouldn't consider it a substitute for ASM, no matter how pricey the parent title becomes.

To other posters thinking that the title is undervalued, it most likely is.  But us old timers have been saying that for decades yet prices are still where they are today.  Let's face it, PPTSS #1 is a 47 year old book, the start of a long running popular title, and it lists for under $100 in Overstreet today.

RE: 1st Cloak and Dagger, they were hot for a micro-second, had subsequent appearances in a relatively short time in PPTSS (never in ASM, and only once in MTU (an annual where they co-starred with other heroes)), and landed their own short-lived ongoing series.  Oh, I almost forgot they co-starred briefly in the re-launched Strange Tales (split book with Dr. Strange).  Made a few appearances in New Mutants (Sienkiewicz run) and that's about it, I think.  (thumbsu

On 8/4/2023 at 6:54 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Brock, I recall PPTSS #27 (1st Miller DD) always being more expensive than surrounding issues, likewise #85 (Early Hobgoblin appearance/1st time he obtains superhuman powers).  Also, PPTSS #90 (1st Spidey black costume in this title) has seen a significant bump over the past 5 years or so.

Overall, PPTSS is a decent read with solid, if somewhat unspectacular artwork, but I wouldn't consider it a substitute for ASM, no matter how pricey the parent title becomes.

To other posters thinking that the title is undervalued, it most likely is.  But us old timers have been saying that for decades yet prices are still where they are today.  Let's face it, PPTSS #1 is a 47 year old book, the start of a long running popular title, and it lists for under $100 in Overstreet today.

RE: 1st Cloak and Dagger, they were hot for a micro-second, had subsequent appearances in a relatively short time in PPTSS (never in ASM, and only once in MTU (an annual where they co-starred with other heroes)), and landed their own short-lived ongoing series.  Oh, I almost forgot they co-starred briefly in the re-launched Strange Tales (split book with Dr. Strange).  Made a few appearances in New Mutants (Sienkiewicz run) and that's about it, I think.  (thumbsu

Hi, 

While I can agree that PPTSS will never be a full substitute for ASM, one has to look back and see why Marvel decided to have multiple concurring runs of Spider-Man titles back in the day. There was an audience for both and when you think of it at face value the books cover prices were not that different.  I just happened to have started off with Peter Parker instead of Amazing Spider-Man when I used to hang out at the comic book shop every Friday afternoon.  That is why I am focused on this title and not the other, it would be expensive to start an ASM collection as opposed to completing my PPTSS title. 

I just bought a full run of PPTSS from someone who kept them in amazing condition so the books are all in Hight Grade 9.0 or better for like 800$.  I cannot imagine how much a full run of ASM in raw books at high grade would cost. 

On 8/4/2023 at 10:25 AM, aabruzzese said:

Hi, 

While I can agree that PPTSS will never be a full substitute for ASM, one has to look back and see why Marvel decided to have multiple concurring runs of Spider-Man titles back in the day. There was an audience for both and when you think of it at face value the books cover prices were not that different.  I just happened to have started off with Peter Parker instead of Amazing Spider-Man when I used to hang out at the comic book shop every Friday afternoon.  That is why I am focused on this title and not the other, it would be expensive to start an ASM collection as opposed to completing my PPTSS title. 

I just bought a full run of PPTSS from someone who kept them in amazing condition so the books are all in Hight Grade 9.0 or better for like 800$.  I cannot imagine how much a full run of ASM in raw books at high grade would cost. 

Yes, because he was Marvel's most popular character and the demand was there to warrant 3 monthlies with new stories (ASM, MTU, PPTSS) and a monthly reprint title (Marvel Tales), in addition to numerous guest appearances elsewhere in the Marvel Universe.

Happy for you in picking up the run for $800.  It sounds like a good deal.

On 8/4/2023 at 7:30 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Yes, because he was Marvel's most popular character and the demand was there to warrant 3 monthlies with new stories (ASM, MTU, PPTSS) and a monthly reprint title (Marvel Tales), in addition to numerous guest appearances elsewhere in the Marvel Universe.

Happy for you in picking up the run for $800.  It sounds like a good deal.

I remember watching Spider-Man cartoon at lunch time from School, it was my favorite time of the day and the competition between the Flintstones and Spider-Man was fierce.  :)

I will probably start buying isolated copies of ASM when the best deals show up, I have a few Keys but with minor spine ticks and small color breaks it makes it frustrating especially when the book itself looks like new and glossy and you see the huge 
difference in pricing on places like Ebay. Some people are just nuts with the prices, I wonder if it is because the wife wants them to sell the books but they don't want to and can say look nobody is buying my book for it's real value. 
LOL 

Edited by aabruzzese

On 8/4/2023 at 9:54 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

+1

I think the DD/Miller issues broke out before PPSM 64, but the Hobgoblin issue a few years after.

There was some buzz for PPSM in the fan press at the time for being a more experimental book, especially when it came to logo and cover design, but it was definitely not in ASM's league.