• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New eBay change (for a change)
6 6

118 posts in this topic

On 8/7/2023 at 8:27 AM, Cat said:

I have enough trouble just getting a REPSONSE from sellers over here who have BIN set up, and that with offers of 85-90%, which I think is reasonable. Three sellers in a row have just let the offers time out. I'm sick of them having the option enabled then leaving it unattended and ignoring it and me. 

In last month Ive offered above 90% asking on best offers and both times the deeeeebaaag sellers raise the asking price upon receiving the offer. They then countered with an offer that was higher than the asking price in the first place.

This was 2 different Sellers on stale items i had been looking at since Jan.  One of many reasons ive such a low opinion of comic book, OA, and trading card dealers

To be clear both items had best offer enabled. 

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/7/2023 at 7:27 AM, Cat said:

I have enough trouble just getting a REPSONSE from sellers over here who have BIN set up, and that with offers of 85-90%, which I think is reasonable. Three sellers in a row have just let the offers time out. I'm sick of them having the option enabled then leaving it unattended and ignoring it and me. 

You make them offers on BINs with no "best offer?"

Nothing wrong with asking them, mind you, I'm just curious.

Edited by Mystafo

On 8/7/2023 at 5:52 PM, MAR1979 said:

In last month Ive offered above 90% asking on best offers and both times the deeeeebaaag sellers raise the asking price upon receiving the offer. They then countered with an offer that was higher than the asking price in the first place.

This was 2 different Sellers on stale items i had been looking at since Jan.  One of many reasons ive such a low opinion of comic book, OA, and trading card dealers

To be clear both items had best offer enabled. 

I don't know how the sellers can raise the price while there is an offer pending. No way to revise a listing with an open offer. I tried to fix a title and couldn't do it.

Same info from the eBay Community boards:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Can-t-edit-listings-with-open-offers/td-p/33849556

On 8/7/2023 at 2:26 PM, skypinkblu said:

Apparently this is something new...because people were not paying. eBay has decided to require immediate payment on everything, using your saved credit card (or other saved payment method.

She said that sellers have been begging for this...buyers apparently don't count.

I told her that I pay immediately when I buy from a store but that it would be NICE to know that there was a change. Then I was thinking...most stores don't charge my card until the item ships.

The good thing is ...I have enough nail polish strips, so I don't mind quitting shopping on there, or at least I KNOW now that there will be an immediate charge if I do decide to bid on an auction.

I pretty much stopped selling on eBay a few years ago, but for those of you who shop there and sell there, I thought you might like to know the change.

Nah, we haven't - and I sell 1500+ items per year.

There is an opt-out somewhere.

Buyers still ask me to send a final total invoice so at least some aren't getting clobbered instantly.

It's been in Australia for 3 months roughly - the ones getting whacked are the people who buy multiple items at full price - they get hit with individual prices inc postage on each one.

Buyers are on it though - if you provide the 'make offer' function as a seller - most people buying now use that and wait for an invoice to stop the instant $$ deduction.

I think it's just about 'persuading' sellers to switch to 'make offer' and ebay getting fees on extra postage charges.

I've been looking for another platform to sell on - the long awaited 'ebay competitor'.

Still waiting - when someone does design it, and offers better fees and functions, ebay will die in 6 months.

However at the moment - there isn't any alternative to a platform that reaches out to 100's of millions of buyers worldwide. So I, like most, will stay.

PS: There is defo an opt out. I just got an invoice request to combine postage on 3 items sold at full price.

Edited by Beige

You have this as a seller on each listing.

Capture.thumb.JPG.0468aa76c85d7bf1692714ca2eec9a80.JPG

Make sure it is unchecked and you have 'opted out' of instant payment and can now combine postage. :foryou:

On 8/7/2023 at 7:17 PM, Beige said:

Make sure it is unchecked and you have 'opted out' of instant payment and can now combine postage. 

That option was there for years, this is something new. There is a thread about it on the eBay chat boards under selling. I just posted there.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/How-to-stop-the-automatic-payment-method-for-buyers/m-p/33915958#M175963

On 8/8/2023 at 9:21 AM, skypinkblu said:

That option was there for years, this is something new. There is a thread about it on the eBay chat boards under selling. I just posted there.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/How-to-stop-the-automatic-payment-method-for-buyers/m-p/33915958#M175963

From the link above...

Capture.thumb.JPG.f8db3274c0ba912ee94045560640ca15.JPG

It's up to sellers to opt out, or you to ask them to. If sellers uncheck the box, this becomes a non-issue.

On 8/7/2023 at 7:24 PM, Beige said:

From the link above...

Capture.thumb.JPG.f8db3274c0ba912ee94045560640ca15.JPG

It's up to sellers to opt out, or you to ask them to. If sellers uncheck the box, this becomes a non-issue.

Unchecking the box will enable full price items to combine, or allow you to request an invoice. It will have no effect on forced payment offers.

On 8/7/2023 at 6:17 PM, Beige said:

You have this as a seller on each listing.

Capture.thumb.JPG.0468aa76c85d7bf1692714ca2eec9a80.JPG

Make sure it is unchecked and you have 'opted out' of instant payment and can now combine postage. :foryou:

Where would I find this option? I tried to find this on one of my buy it nows and I can't for the life of me find it.

On 8/7/2023 at 6:47 PM, Lightning55 said:

I don't know how the sellers can raise the price while there is an offer pending. No way to revise a listing with an open offer. I tried to fix a title and couldn't do it.

Same info from the eBay Community boards:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Can-t-edit-listings-with-open-offers/td-p/33849556

When I'm on phone I try to keep things brief. Here is the more granular info:

The Sellers declined my "make offer" which was greater than 90% of the asking price, basically 50% off shipping cost for me which seems rather fair on a make offer. After declining the sellers then raised the BIN, then sent me offers that were higher than the original BIN. In both cases I was a "watcher" of the item so sending the offer was easy.

On 8/7/2023 at 8:03 PM, MAR1979 said:

When I'm on phone I try to keep things brief. Here is the more granular info:

The Sellers declined my "make offer" which was greater than 90% of the asking price, basically 50% off shipping cost for me which seems rather fair on a make offer. After declining the sellers then raised the BIN, then sent me offers that were higher than the original BIN. In both cases I was a "watcher" of the item so sending the offer was easy.

That sequence makes complete sense, though unfortunate and manipulative on the sellers' parts. I knew there had to be more than 1 offer process to enable that result, but it didn't sound that way at first. 

On 8/8/2023 at 9:44 AM, Dr Zen said:

Where would I find this option? I tried to find this on one of my buy it nows and I can't for the life of me find it.

When you list an item, it's under the price at the very bottom of your listing.

On 8/8/2023 at 9:28 AM, Lightning55 said:

Unchecking the box will enable full price items to combine, or allow you to request an invoice. It will have no effect on forced payment offers.

The seller unchecks it.

The seller.

Not the buyer.

If you sell stuff and want to stop this issue for buyers - uncheck the box.

Capture.thumb.JPG.0468aa76c85d7bf1692714ca2eec9a80.jpg.6a969c372233ccf5042125e5b34673da.jpg

It literally tells you that in black and white.

And I'm out. 

On 8/7/2023 at 7:28 PM, Lightning55 said:

This is correct. 

The automatic payment is relatively NEW and cannot be opted out of as a buyer or seller.

It does tell you, as it pertains to fixed price listings using Buy-It-Now. And eBay will override it MOST of the time. Because they choose to. They want the money NOW.

And it will have no effect on stopping the forced payment offer from completing prior to being able to arrange combined shipping, which is the subject of this thread.

We've both repeated ourselves and our position on the subject, doesn't change the facts. The offer aspect changes everything if you're hoping for combined shipping on multiple items that you put offers on.

There are workarounds with more complications, and could have been entirely avoided by eBay, but they don't have a clue.

On 8/7/2023 at 9:16 PM, Beige said:

The seller unchecks it.

The seller.

Not the buyer.

If you sell stuff and want to stop this issue for buyers - uncheck the box.

Capture.thumb.JPG.0468aa76c85d7bf1692714ca2eec9a80.jpg.6a969c372233ccf5042125e5b34673da.jpg

It literally tells you that in black and white.

And I'm out. 

Maybe eBay Australia is different. We've had the immediate payment for a bin box for years...

This forced immediate payment pertains to auctions and to offers. That is what is new.

On 8/8/2023 at 7:58 AM, Mystafo said:

You make them offers on BINs with no "best offer?"

Nothing wrong with asking them, mind you, I'm just curious.

Typo, I meant Best Offer. Thanks for pointing that out. 

I am an eBay seller, and I also buy a lot on eBay.  As a seller, having been dinked around on multiple occasions by reneging buyers, I like the idea that people have to be ready to pay upon an accepted offer.  The method eBay is using is wrong, but a step in the right direction.

As a buyer, whenever I get the "load your payment method" dialog box, I do a quick 180 and instead contact the seller to have them send me an offer.  I am not agreeing to the terms that eBay has included in the box.  It says they can charge for this item, or any item in the future that you offer on, or win at auction.

I don't want to give blanket permission to use a specific card.  I have 3 cards that I use for purchases.  Any of them may have thousands of dollars available, or be circling the bowl waiting to be reloaded, depending on my buying activity.  I have to have control of what card is used at what time, NOT eBay.  I don't need them trying to charge a card that is "empty".  If the payment box was specifically for that item, that payment method, short timeframe, I'm fine with it.  But it's not.  I don't know why anyone would EVER agree to those broad terms, eBay overreaching again. Read the fine print on the screen cap below, and you will see what I mean:

NewOfferPaymentRequirementScreenCapRedacted.thumb.JPG.97c06c9a9010795ee61fbd025ef02e89.JPG

What is really bizarre, is they won't let me completely remove my credit card. I'm going to have to call them again and if they don't let me remove it (to stop the automatic payments)  I'll call the credit card company.  I'm thinking that I might just stop shopping there, it's not a fun activity right now.
BTW, I am signed in on a browser when I get this message...

"Selecting Delete removes it as a payment method for checkout and selling costs, but not as your automatic payment method. To remove this card from your account completely, sign into eBay on a browser and go to Account, then Personal info, then Payment options."

about the only to change things on ebay is to flood card issuers with calls so that they complain to master or visa or paypal etc. Of course that is highly unlikely as most oddly seem to enjoy a right good fisting from multi hundred billion $ corporations 

Edited by MAR1979