• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who was the greatest overall Golden Age comic book artist?
4 4

Who was the greatest overall Golden Age comic book artist?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the greatest overall Golden Age comic book artist?

• Will Eisner
    • Alex Schomburg
    • Wallace Wood
    • Matt Baker
    • Basil Wolverton
    • Lou Fine
    • Reed Crandall
    • L. B. Cole
    • Harvey Kurtzman
    • Carl Barks
    • Will Elder
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/12/2023 at 05:00 AM

103 posts in this topic

On 8/7/2023 at 5:55 PM, Sarg said:

Greatest in terms of ability, draftsmanship, originality, versatility, etc.

What’s the Golden Age? 1938 - ?

The Golden Age starts with Action Comics 1 and ends with the end of World War 2 and the decline of the Superhero genre. The rise of the Crime, Romance, and Horror genres start their progression with the postwar era. Baker and his contemporaries make their mark during this period. 

EC Comics is not Golden Age so let’s make sure greats like Wally Wood and Frazetta are placed in their respective eras when they were at the apex of their craft. 

The Golden Age greats include Fine, Kirby, Beck, Jack Cole, Schomberg, Eisner, Crandall, Binder, Simon, Everett, and Raboy. Comes down to which of the batch is your favorite. My suggestion is that you rewrite the heading of this thread to “Who’s your favorite Golden Age Artist.” Then add Raboy and remove the ones who aren’t Golden Age greats.

On 8/7/2023 at 5:35 PM, bronze johnny said:

What’s the Golden Age? 1938 - ?

The Golden Age starts with Action Comics 1 and ends with the end of World War 2 and the decline of the Superhero genre. The rise of the Crime, Romance, and Horror genres start their progression with the postwar era. Baker and his contemporaries make their mark during this period. 

EC Comics is not Golden Age so let’s make sure greats like Wally Wood and Frazetta are placed in their respective eras when they were at the apex of their craft. 

The Golden Age greats include Fine, Kirby, Beck, Jack Cole, Schomberg, Eisner, Crandall, Binder, Simon, Everett, and Raboy. Comes down to which of the batch is your favorite. My suggestion is that you rewrite the heading of this thread to “Who’s your favorite Golden Age Artist.” Then add Raboy and remove the ones who aren’t Golden Age greats.

Yeah ... no. I gotta disagree.

GA was used by Lupoff in 1960. It quickly was adopted to refer to the first heroic age of, really, DC Comics and extends until the start of the second heroic age of DC Comics when we get the first reboot of a GA DC hero.  That's the way the term was originally used in fandom and it is the way most of us understand it today. Michael Uslan explained how Silver Age started: "Fans immediately glommed onto this, refining it more directly into a Silver Age version of the Golden Age. Very soon, it was in our vernacular, replacing such expressions as ... 'Second Heroic Age of Comics' or 'The Modern Age' of comics. It wasn't long before dealers were ... specifying it was a Golden Age comic for sale or a Silver Age comic for sale."

Obviously, the GA of strip reprints started much earlier and the GA of PCH much later.  So we could certainly have a lot of GA definitions, but I'd suggest we go with the traditional one.

P.S.  Here's the first usage of the term Golden Age by a comic fan writing about comics that I've ever seen.  He used it to refer to 1938-1942. From his perspective of 1948 the WWII years weren't the GA: 

Wigransky.thumb.jpg.d2fe5c352732c2e2d4942e3f1259861d.jpg

However, this fan loved EC Comics and from today's perspective I'm sure he'd say they were GA. 

Edited by sfcityduck

On 8/7/2023 at 8:51 PM, sfcityduck said:

Yeah ... no. I gotta disagree.

GA was used by Lupoff in 1960. It quickly was adopted to refer to the first heroic age of, really, DC Comics and extends until the start of the second heroic age of DC Comics when we get the first reboot of a GA DC hero.  That's the way the term was originally used in fandom and it is the way most of us understand it today. Michael Uslan explained how Silver Age started: "Fans immediately glommed onto this, refining it more directly into a Silver Age version of the Golden Age. Very soon, it was in our vernacular, replacing such expressions as ... 'Second Heroic Age of Comics' or 'The Modern Age' of comics. It wasn't long before dealers were ... specifying it was a Golden Age comic for sale or a Silver Age comic for sale."

Obviously, the GA of strip reprints started much earlier and the GA of PCH much later.  So we could certainly have a lot of GA definitions, but I'd suggest we go with the traditional one.

P.S.  Here's the first usage of the term Golden Age by a comic fan writing about comics that I've ever seen.  He used it to refer to 1938-1942. From his perspective of 1948 the WWII years weren't the GA: 

Wigransky.thumb.jpg.d2fe5c352732c2e2d4942e3f1259861d.jpg

However, this fan loved EC Comics and from today's perspective I'm sure he'd say they were GA. 

Respectfully…agree…to disagree and I stand by my position.